Will artificial intelligence like DALL-E 2 and IMAGEN be the future of photography?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The brain knows.

I used electronic drums to record music and it sounds ok but I don't think it's even close to a real drummer.

I can't play the drums but I have recordings of me playing and I suck but the fact that I am almost pulling it off sometimes makes for a more exciting listen.

But the computer drums are a GREAT tool for composing.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
The brain knows.

I used electronic drums to record music and it sounds ok but I don't think it's even close to a real drummer.

I can't play the drums but I have recordings of me playing and I suck but the fact that I am almost pulling it off sometimes makes for a more exciting listen.

But the computer drums are a GREAT tool for composing.
Rick Biato on YouTube who does a lot of interesting stuff isolating different instruments in a song and explaining what is going on that makes the song great was saying that beginning in the 90's I think some guitar players in bands would practice at home alone with a drum track that they had made themselves. When they came in to the studio to record with the band and a session drummer they would be unable to play well with the session drummer because the track they had made did things that a real drummer would never do and had none of the subtle variations or feel of a real drummer so they would just use the drum track in the song especially in metal music, which then sort of became a style.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I went to a rush concert and they played fine but they seemed tired from the road.

This made the performance not as good.

Then I saw them years later in a big sports arena and they were on fire.

They were thrilled by their performance and so was I.

That is the problem when the machine makes art.

I saw a street performer playing with a drum machine. The machine ruined it.

Machines don't care.

A big part of art is exceeding your grasp and somehow pulling it off to your own surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJ

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
That Iis the problem when the machine makes art.
is it still art when there is no artist? my kid's music is all autotune vocals and computer-generated instruments...the track was created by somebody, but is that person - who doesn't really sing and doesn't really play an instrument - a musician? i'm thinking you could take the human out of that musical process and nobody would notice. AI generated songs seem inevitable, if they aren't already here.

re: the OP - interesting stuff, sponge but i hope you don't get replaced by AI anytime soon :waving:

• Haha
Reactions: sponge

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
is it still art when there is no artist? my kid's music is all autotune vocals and computer-generated instruments...the track was created by somebody, but is that person - who doesn't really sing and doesn't really play an instrument - a musician? i'm thinking you could take the human out of that musical process and nobody would notice. AI generated songs seem inevitable, if they aren't already here.

re: the OP - interesting stuff, sponge but i hope you don't get replaced by AI anytime soon :waving:
The music business wants to take the artist out of the music business.

The kids are unsophisticated listeners enjoying pop music.

That is fine.

I predict a rock band will come along and create social phenomena.

The Beatles did it.

Then Nirvana did it.

We are due.

Yes rock is dead.

Until someone brings it back from the dead

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
"Right now, robots have the intelligence of a cockroach. Eventually, they will be as smart as a mouse, rat, rabbit, cat, and dog. When they reach monkey intelligence, we need to put a chip in their brain to shut them off just in case."

-Michio Kaku

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Robots were ultimately created because some lazy pimply insecure techie guy somewhere couldn't get laid, and we all know this to be fact.

:computer::bricks::roflmao::monkey::loser::foreheadslap:

• Haha

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
for RPA+AI its all about the algorithms and who controls them
Mike Walsh has a good book on the subject
I think there's a saying that one day that's all we'll be, just an algorithm
especially when everything about you has been captured and categorized digitally
the problem with AI is it's not good with anomalies or new events that haven't been documented
it needs patterns/pattern recognition
But Synthetic IDs are the biggest thing in financial crimes right now according to the Fed

develop your own film and don't shoot digitally now that's a skill set

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It would be easy as sh!t for a machine to paint something exactly like Jackson Pollock. But people pay big bucks for the real thing. Authenticity matters, and that includes the knowledge that what you are looking at came from a human heart.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
develop your own film and don't shoot digitally now that's a skill set
No-one will pay for that skill, unfortunately.

Would you pay for a film image of yourself, if the photographer produced the image on film, processed the film themselves and printed the image in black and white in a darkroom with an enlarger, a safelight and trays of toxic chemicals including developer, fixer and stop bath?

I didn't think so.

Film photography is hobby-status photography - like the people that insist on using a turntable and vinyl records to listen to music.

Reactions: bluemarlin04