Why's Everything So Expensive?

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Breakfast and 2 beers costs around $5usd.

10,000 liters of potable water costs around $40usd delivered.

I don’t know what anything else costs. My wife does all that. No reason for both of us to be wringing our hands over it.
How long does 10k liters last?

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Just got the following in an email from my homeowners insurance company. Basically you can expect your homeowners insurance to go up as a result of the increase in lumber costs or expect your current coverage to not cover everything if you have a loss.

"When you think of COVID-19, the cost of lumber or your homeowners insurance might not come to mind, but there is a trickle down effect that we wanted to talk to you about today.

Over the past year, because of COVID-19, lumber prices have increased by more than 250% because of insufficient domestic production. For an average single-family home, you’re looking at a $24,000 price increase just because of lumber!

But, if you’re not looking to buy land or build an addition to your house, you’re likely wondering what this has to do with you? The answer is quite a lot, actually!

Everyone has homeowners insurance because their mortgage company demands it or just to protect their investments in case of an emergency. You pay a certain amount each year and you’re covered for a certain amount should something happen such as a fire, and you need to rebuild.

It’s all coming together now, isn’t it?

While your homeowners insurance may have once had the funds to rebuild the entire house in the past, it might not anymore. You may have to go out of pocket to complete the job because part of that additional $24,000 exceeds your coverage."

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Homeowners insurance is relatively cheap, I don't see it making that much a difference.

Price of flood insurance is pure madness though.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Just got the following in an email from my homeowners insurance company. Basically you can expect your homeowners insurance to go up as a result of the increase in lumber costs or expect your current coverage to not cover everything if you have a loss.

"When you think of COVID-19, the cost of lumber or your homeowners insurance might not come to mind, but there is a trickle down effect that we wanted to talk to you about today.

Over the past year, because of COVID-19, lumber prices have increased by more than 250% because of insufficient domestic production. For an average single-family home, you’re looking at a $24,000 price increase just because of lumber!

But, if you’re not looking to buy land or build an addition to your house, you’re likely wondering what this has to do with you? The answer is quite a lot, actually!

Everyone has homeowners insurance because their mortgage company demands it or just to protect their investments in case of an emergency. You pay a certain amount each year and you’re covered for a certain amount should something happen such as a fire, and you need to rebuild.

It’s all coming together now, isn’t it?

While your homeowners insurance may have once had the funds to rebuild the entire house in the past, it might not anymore. You may have to go out of pocket to complete the job because part of that additional $24,000 exceeds your coverage."
I would recommend switching your policy to an insurance company that has more than a fifth grader's writing skills and understanding of how insurance works.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Hopefully lumber is on its way down. We have an addition in the works and are holding off on buying lumber until things shake out.
Talking to a guy building one of my projects two days ago, and then to a cost estimator working up some early numbers for a different one yesterday, they both say that lumber futures (whatever that means) are dropping significantly. Hopefully that's actually the case.

You can always go with light gauge metal framing too.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Homeowners insurance is relatively cheap, I don't see it making that much a difference.

Price of flood insurance is pure madness though.
When I bought my house in 1994 my flood insurance was $300 per year. This year it broke the $3,200 mark. On the plus side my property taxes are at least that much lower than they would be on a similar house across the bridge on the mainland. Many of New Jersey's beach towns have very low property taxes.