Why we lift and why you should too.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Random question- do you take creatine every day even if you only strength train once or twice a week? Or just on days you train?
I don't think there's much point in taking that or anything else.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Reactions: PRCD

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I just read something about how muscles adapt much faster than tendons and ligaments and the risk for over enthusiastic beginners as they get stronger are tendon injuries. For me overhead presses combined with a lot of surfing (past couple weeks has had consistent swell in the ocean) makes for a sore shoulder (only my left...used to be my right...???)

And to address another issue that was brought up- dementia- I'm dealing with these issues in a big way with my mother who has been rolling down a steep hill for two years and in the last two months has launched off a ledge and is now in full free fall (arranging institutionalization this week). I've been reading a lot on the subject, especially about preventing it. Bottom line, like almost everything- exercise and diet. I'm sure any intense physical activity drives cognitive activity. Another thing I came across was that creatine, recommended for resistance training, also helps cognitive function in the older population and may even slow down parkinsons. Win win.
Regarding tendons and ligaments
When I started rock climbing, mostly in a rock climbing gym, nothing to climb on Long Island, I was going 2 or 3 times a week for a couple of hours
I thought I was in good shape so I wouldn’t have any problem
I was wrong
Finger and wrist issues ensued
Taking weeks off didn’t help
Taking over a year off seems to have given me time to heal

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I think it's a solid recommendation to not do anything for a year because you've developed some pain or tendonitis. Tendonitis can get chronic and sounds scary and dangerous.

Another option would be to find an entry point where the discomfort is tolerable and just do that while gradually increasing the stress to the area via volume or resistance.....managing via tolerable discomfort. Then you only have to wait a few weeks to get back to activity rather than a year.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
@Random Guy

just do a bunch of hand exercises.
The lotion is in the motion.

I do hand exercises in bed in the morning.

It helped a lot.

It is boring though

I know this seems like pure faggotry but it's better to do this than rest

sry

• Haha
Reactions: b.r. and LifeOnMars

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Hey VM, on one of these threads you mentioned you did rotational exercises, just to access the ROM. Which ones do you do? I'm looking for the most bang for the buck (time investment).

I used to be be able to do layback top turns. I went for one today, first since my back injury, and even though I pulled it, it was weak and I was like, "Uh oh. That felt....compromising."

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Hey VM, on one of these threads you mentioned you did rotational exercises, just to access the ROM. Which ones do you do? I'm looking for the most bang for the buck (time investment).

I used to be be able to do layback top turns. I went for one today, first since my back injury, and even though I pulled it, it was weak and I was like, "Uh oh. That felt....compromising."
Sorry...I missed this one. I don't recall saying I do rotational exercises...but one exercise I do regularly as a supplement is a one knee landmine with a barbell. It's just something I've found that keeps me loose and ready to go. If I were to say there was one thing that translated to surfing for me it has always been long uphill trail runs at pace. Like find a two mile uneven rocky trail and get up it as fast as you can without needed a rest. There's always been something about the constant changing of gears, balance and footing challenge that really kept me not only in surfing shape but just always coinciding with me surfing my best. I don't think it was a coincidence.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Sorry...I missed this one. I don't recall saying I do rotational exercises...but one exercise I do regularly as a supplement is a one knee landmine with a barbell. It's just something I've found that keeps me loose and ready to go. If I were to say there was one thing that translated to surfing for me it has always been long uphill trail runs at pace. Like find a two mile uneven rocky trail and get up it as fast as you can without needed a rest. There's always been something about the constant changing of gears, balance and footing challenge that really kept me not only in surfing shape but just always coinciding with me surfing my best. I don't think it was a coincidence.
I think you mentioned rotational mobility in relation to surfing and golf, maintaining ROM.

I used to run this trail on Saturdays while my daughter took Art Center classes. It was an nice 8 mile loop. These guys are going down the part I ran up.

Don't know any good uphill trails around the South Bay. I have a friend who did ultras and one of his preferred training runs was to run the shoreline of Palos Verdes from Rat Beach to Cabrillo Beach, mostly on boulders. I could try that but I'd probably end up spraining an ankle. Maybe I'll just try from Rat Beach to Lunada Bay, pizz all over the rocks there :nana:, and then turn around.

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
Been reading / using this recently for some achilles issues. Interesting take on tendon/ligament/joint health, prehab/rehab. FWIW I'm seeing improvements in both ankles following the protocols.

1643389486841.png

Reactions: Bullnutts

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
A lot of pain come from motor control issues.

The nervous system signals you by sending the message of pain.

I took me a long for this idea to resonate with me.

I have some shoulder issues and it's all motor control.

Getting control is a PITA but you need to know what the problem is before you can fix it.