Why we lift and why you should too.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I thought the recommended amount, including from Barbell Medicine, is about 1g/lb bodyweight, which I think is on the lower end of the 0.6-1g/kg of bodyweight that is typically cited. If I only need half, then I'm hitting that, and happy. And, I have no other goals than trying to retain muscle, stay strong and relatively injury free, stay flexible, and to surf a lot as I approach old age. Always looking for ways to improve my nutrition to achieve these goals, as I think my fitness routine is working for me. But, I am feeling it after my 3 hour session this morning.
Doctors aren't trained in nutrition. Unless you're eating a lot of junk food and fast food, you're probably getting plenty of protein. Most Americans get plenty.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I find it really hard to get the protein that these sites recommend. I probably should be near 160g/day. I'm usually 80-120, and I'm too full to eat more. I've never heard of consuming 150g of whey a day to be worthwhile. Everything I've read (granted, not a lot), seems to suggest about 30-60g of whey, and then the rest should be good food. If I up my whey to 90g, I should be golden. Is my info out of date?
How old are you?

This is the salient point.

"Elderly adults are less responsive to the anabolic stimulus of low doses of amino acid intake compared to younger adults [18]. However, this lack of responsiveness in elderly adults can be overcome with higher levels of protein consumption [18]."

If you are young your protein intake is something you don't have to think about.

But if you are older and highly active then it's something to think about.

I think the trick would be to try the higher levels and see if you notice anything.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
How old are you?

This is the salient point.

"Elderly adults are less responsive to the anabolic stimulus of low doses of amino acid intake compared to younger adults [18]. However, this lack of responsiveness in elderly adults can be overcome with higher levels of protein consumption [18]."

If you are young your protein intake is something you don't have to think about.

But if you are older and highly active then it's something to think about.

I think the trick would be to try the higher levels and see if you notice anything.
Thanks both. 52. Maybe I'll try that trick, problem is food volume (unless my target is off, as PRCD seems to be implying). If I should be targeting 80-100g/day (and yes, I'm active and do the prescribed lifting), then I'm cool, and I'll keep cruising. I'm just thinking for the next 10-30 years.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I just had a week of really high protein from high quality sources.

Caught a lot of fish and ate it every day, with green salads and ate lots of duck eggs.

Felt pretty sensational-feeling closer to 100% after the back injury.

Back surfing a shortboard for multiple sessions a day.

Still keeping sessions short (45-90mins) to avoid surfing into fatigue.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
When Henry Dana was a sailor/ranch hand in Dana Point, he said his diet was the local red wine and the local beef.

He said he never felt better.

I remember reading that in school and thinking, That sounds pretty good to me.

Reactions: Ifallalot

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I find it really hard to get the protein that these sites recommend. I probably should be near 160g/day. I'm usually 80-120, and I'm too full to eat more. I've never heard of consuming 150g of whey a day to be worthwhile. Everything I've read (granted, not a lot), seems to suggest about 30-60g of whey, and then the rest should be good food. If I up my whey to 90g, I should be golden. Is my info out of date?
It depends on the dietary protein you consume. If you are getting a lot of bioavailable protein daily supplementing becomes less of a concern. Also if your 20 your body is able to process and absorb more of the dietary protein than if you are 50.

The feeling of fullness generally comes from the satiety of your food choices, not the protein amount or quality.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I thought the recommended amount, including from Barbell Medicine, is about 1g/lb bodyweight, which I think is on the lower end of the 0.6-1g/kg of bodyweight that is typically cited. If I only need half, then I'm hitting that, and happy. And, I have no other goals than trying to retain muscle, stay strong and relatively injury free, stay flexible, and to surf a lot as I approach old age. Always looking for ways to improve my nutrition to achieve these goals, as I think my fitness routine is working for me. But, I am feeling it after my 3 hour session this morning.
From BBM

1. The current Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for dietary protein intake in adults is 0.8-1.0 grams per kilogram bodyweight per day. This is insufficient for maximizing strength, hypertrophy, endurance performance, or reducing body fat. We recommend a protein intake of 1.6-3.1 grams per kilogram bodyweight per day.
Keep in mind these recommendations are for active adults who are regularly strength training. Thought of another way....why would you put such an effort into training but not give your body the resources to maximize the adaptation to that training. Heavy sets of squats are hard physically and mentally. I want to make sure I'm getting maximum benefit from that effort

Reactions: scdad and Autoprax

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
When Henry Dana was a sailor/ranch hand in Dana Point, he said his diet was the local red wine and the local beef.

He said he never felt better.

I remember reading that in school and thinking, That sounds pretty good to me.
I always have the colon cancer red meat thing stuck in the back of my head. I can live on red meat and little else. I've read that consuming greater than 100G of red meat per week can increase your chance of colon cancer by as much as 15%. I'm sure that there is research that says the opposite but 100g for me sounds like a vegan diet.

I wish I liked cooking fish more.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think the quality of the beef matters along with a lot of other variables.

When you get older you have to cut back on everything.

With fish you have the heavy metal issues.

Though I bet the fish Freeride is catching is pretty "organic."

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I think the quality of the beef matters along with a lot of other variables.

When you get older you have to cut back on everything.

With fish you have the heavy metal issues.

Though I bet the fish Freeride is catching is pretty "organic."
I can't speak for Australia but there basically isn't wild fish in Florida that's safe to eat 7 days/week from a heavy metal point of view.

I bet if you went into publix, grabbed some beef and chicken and pork, bought some fruits and veggies, and then went to Green Cove Springs, castnet some shrimp, and then caught some fish from the surf, it would all have not good levels of something in it.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I can't speak for Australia but there basically isn't wild fish in Florida that's safe to eat 7 days/week from a heavy metal point of view.

I bet if you went into publix, grabbed some beef and chicken and pork, bought some fruits and veggies, and then went to Green Cove Springs, castnet some shrimp, and then caught some fish from the surf, it would all have not good levels of something in it.
How often do you eat the fish you catch?

It's weird how much better fresh fish tastes.

Ginger and cilantro are supposed to be good at moving heavy metals out of the body.

That is a trip.

Thank you Jesus

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
How often do you eat the fish you catch?

It's weird how much better fresh fish tastes.
Almost never. I fish from shore in the Jacksonville area and I don't think the average slot-sized seatrout/redfish/flounder/spanish mackerel is worth the effort of keeping and cleaning.

I like to wet wade, not lug a bunch of sh!t about.

When I go visit my parents they usually plan dinner out a fucking year in advance like all old people, so although I sometimes catch fish worth keeping on my buddy's boat, I don't feel like having to keep it on ice until I'd cook it Monday evening after I'm back in Jacksonville.

In Florida the grocery stores and seafood markets seem to do well. Sometimes I see fish that doesn't look that good but since I can see it and assess the color myself, I feel like the fish I get from the store around here is just as good as a dolphin I gaffed into the fishbox myself.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My friend who bought a ocean fishing boat.

I was amazed by all the work he went through to get a couple of pieces of fish,

It's all about the dream.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My friend who bought a ocean fishing boat.

I was amazed by all the work he went through to get a couple of pieces of fish,

It's all about the dream.
I fish for sport. Trout/bluefish/dolphin blowing up a topwater plug. Jacks/redfish/kingfish/tunas getting a good run off, taking drag. Sunrises, sunsets, seeing a shark feeding in water shallower than I'm standing in...the good stuff!

I can go to Fresh Market and get halibut or wild salmon or whatever they call Chilean Sea Bass actually is.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I fish for sport. Trout/bluefish/dolphin blowing up a topwater plug. Jacks/redfish/kingfish/tunas getting a good run off, taking drag. Sunrises, sunsets, seeing a shark feeding in water shallower than I'm standing in...the good stuff!

I can go to Fresh Market and get halibut or wild salmon or whatever they call Chilean Sea Bass actually is.
I can see fishing off the shore. But the work that goes into taking it out in the ocean is insane.

Steve's set up sounds good.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
From BBM

1. The current Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for dietary protein intake in adults is 0.8-1.0 grams per kilogram bodyweight per day. This is insufficient for maximizing strength, hypertrophy, endurance performance, or reducing body fat. We recommend a protein intake of 1.6-3.1 grams per kilogram bodyweight per day.
Keep in mind these recommendations are for active adults who are regularly strength training. Thought of another way....why would you put such an effort into training but not give your body the resources to maximize the adaptation to that training. Heavy sets of squats are hard physically and mentally. I want to make sure I'm getting maximum benefit from that effort

Hahaha. Thanks! I think I did my math wrong. Doh! Thanks PRCD and VonMeister. I agree in principle, and if my math sucks, I might have to go back to middle school. I see what you're both saying now. I'm close to on target.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I'm strictly a meat fisherman, even though I enjoy the hell out of it.

The goal is to catch fish to eat, and feed the family.

Once that is done, the session is over and the next goal- to maximise the eating quality of the fish- is activated.

Which means, if I am on the rocks at 5am and catch a fish first cast and it's a solid keeper - say 20pound mulloway (White Sea bass) I'm home at 5.15 and that thing is being iced.

I normally eat fish lower down on the trophic level to minimise any chance of metal contamination.

Fast growing, meso-predators.

Slower growing top of the food chain preds bio-accumulate the most metals.

I can basically survive on fish and a green salad topped with some kind of oil.

Thrive, actually.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

Once that is done, the session is over and the next goal- to maximise the eating quality of the fish- is activated.

Which means, if I am on the rocks at 5am and catch a fish first cast and it's a solid keeper - say 20pound mulloway (White Sea bass) I'm home at 5.15 and that thing is being iced.

I normally eat fish lower down on the trophic level to minimise any chance of metal contamination.

Thrive, actually.
Fish and a green salad topped with oil sounds like heaven

I too could live off that

I just love meat too

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Don't get me wrong though, I'd be happy as a pig in shitt hanging with sharkbiscuit running his program all day every day if I was in Florida.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Thrive, actually.
Autoprax just to give you an idea, a dolphin/dorado/mahi is considered a relatively safe fish in Florida because it's fast-growing. The state's guideline is 2x/week unless you are a woman of childbearing age or a younger child, then it's 1x/week.

A spotted seatrout is very similar to a mulloway (weakfish for you Chesapeake -> North crew) and that is rated 1x/week for the general population, 1x/month for woman of childbearing age or a younger child.

The guidelines for a King Mackerel, or kingfish, commonly found in smoked fish dip, is 1x/month if it's under 31 inches (28 is minimum keeper) or not at all if you're a woman of childbearing age or a younger child, and unsafe to eat for anyone if it's over 31 inches, which the vast overwhelming majority are.

I am pretty sure the State of California is a known carcinogen according to the State of California.