Why the hate on soft tops?

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Is it because they have brought more people to the beach?
Is it because they are a crutch for people?
is it because, you yourself, are an insecure dweeb and worry about what others ride?

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
My go to board for our typical east coast summer ankle slappers is a soft top twin fin fish. When I paddle out, the kids look at me with disdain as they are sinking in the gutless waves. Their attitude changes though when they see that I catch a lot more waves than they do, easily make it through sections, glide across flat spots and even nose ride.
:waving:

Reactions: mundus

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Lowered the cost of entry, instead of being a core activity, Surfing becomes easily accessible to everyone, which is good and bad.

Not a hater. I can see both sides though.
Is it because they are a crutch for people?
The things mentioned above along with the fact that such a high percentage of the people who ride them are clueless, oblivious, idiots who tend to be in the way.

PS: I'll take adult learners on soft-tops any day over the crop of adult learners we had 10 years ago on 30 pound longboards.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
This one had me in tears from laughing so hard. The stupidity of the general population is astounding. Society has all the tools we need to learn, educate, and be free thinkers, except the brain.

:roflmao:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
True, but better to have them on nerf boards as opposed to something much more likely to injure others.
What I meant is There seems to be a mentality that comes along with the soft boards that triggers these clowns to do whatever they want. Probably partly due to them thinking there’s no consequences.

Reactions: mundus

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
lots of learners and players yet few stick with it.

in NJ once they have the insta photo of snow-trudging to the surf...

They're onto other things.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
What I meant is There seems to be a mentality that comes along with the soft boards that triggers these clowns to do whatever they want. Probably partly due to them thinking there’s no consequences.
True, however there was always bad behavior on hard boards by entitled learners just not as much, my guess it has more to do with the way society is going these days

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Exactly

The soft top is goofy, therefore everything is played off as

"No worries, just a pool toy having fun! Give me smile, a wave, a laugh!"

"I'm hogging every wave but it's not serious cuz I'm on a foamy! Just playin' around bro!"

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
My go to board for our typical east coast summer ankle slappers is a soft top twin fin fish. When I paddle out, the kids look at me with disdain as they are sinking in the gutless waves. Their attitude changes though when they see that I catch a lot more waves than they do, easily make it through sections, glide across flat spots and even nose ride.
:waving:
This question is really for anyone who's ridden one. I haven't, but always assumed they'd be slow and sluggish compared to regular boards. If the design and dimensions were the same would there be any advantage to a soft top for someone who already knows how to surf?