Why is wearing a mask so difficult?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Decided to take a peek at SD North County summer beach scene yesterday late afternoon, on a Saturday (mistake), and maybe paddle around a bit, if I could find a place to park.

Started at O'side harbor beach, packed as any summer weekend day as ever. Drove south, checked my fave north of pier spot, packed and black-balled. Drove past pier, traffic and beach still very busy into south O'side. People walking around all over, probably less then half wearing masks in public. Checked my other fave south O'side spot, hardly any sand on beach, so people were taking advantage of bottom of cliff sand spots behind the piles of rip-rap. No masks to be seen. Surf sucked, but water is warming back up, so there's that at least.

Drove thru Carlsbad, traffic and no parking anywhere. Beaches were packed, people walking around all over. That little grass park area next to Harbor Fish Cafe was packed with a group doing gymnastic performances and work-out equipment. Reminded me of Venice Beach in a way. Lots of people standing/milling around watching, majority without masks. Continued south past Tamarack and Terra Mar, parking is tight and it's now 4-4:30pm. People/traffic still arriving to escape to beach.

Get to Glorious Ponto and luck into a single parking spot on beach side. Decide to get out and get wet, paddle around at a minimum. Water has warmed back up to trunkable again, so that was very nice. Later drove back thru part of downtown Carlsbad, and restaurants are doing whatever they can to offer outdoor dining, and they're busy. Waiters in masks, diners not. Nathans Ice Cream stand was packed and must've been 50-100 people hanging/milling around or standing in long lines for ice cream. Some with masks, some not, about half/half.

Without the masks on some people, you wouldn't know there was a pandemic emergency of death going on yesterday at NCSD beaches.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
The point of the mask is to cut down on the amount of droplety misty breath going everywhere.

Imagine, just for a second, you are doing something incredibly minor to benefit society at large.

It's like the signal light on cars.
First we have to convince people that society exists and then that we should all do something good for it. We've been inundated with the propaganda of "freedom" for a very long time. It's changing though. Next pandemic will be much better.

• Angry
Reactions: Ifallalot

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
First we have to convince people that society exists and then that we should all do something good for it. We've been inundated with the propaganda of "freedom" for a very long time. It's changing though. Next pandemic will be much better.
Thing is, vast majority of people know they aren't infected or positive carriers. Yes, all it takes is one person in a public area without a mask to start a new spread, and there's always a chance it might be that "one" person. EVERYONE IS SUSPECT!!

People are getting tired of the risk vs reward odds we're being told of constantly. It's going on 6 months now, when we were all told it would only be 2 to 4 weeks of lockdown. Then 6 weeks. Then 2 months. Then another month after that, and so on.

Our economy would be fully in the tank if we kept EVERYONE from work, including "essential" workers. Why is it OK for "essential" workers that deal with public day in, day out for months on end, but not for others deemed not so lucky with that designation? Which is more important, fighting CV-19 AT ALL COSTS, or allowing some to be OK to spread it? It's never going to be perfect, no matter what we do.

For instance, construction workers on some new tightly crammed townhomes costing $600-$700k+ are "essential" workers. We have some going strong just up the hill from my house, and they've NEVER stopped working on them since this all started. I hear the roach coach every morning. Some days guys working Sat/Sun. All phases of construction from concrete, framing, stucco, finishing, painting, you name it. How many people in this "gloom and doom" economic environment are buying $700k townhomes? I guess a lot? Same goes for other "essential" jobs. We see them still there, day in, day out, for weeks, months. They should all be dead by now, with all the exposures they've faced.

Not downplaying the severity of CV-19, but we all need to come to grips with getting on with life, and stop being a bunch of hypochondriac germ-a-phobes about it too. Another full lockdown is going to doom any surviving small businesses that aren't already gone. Some won't be happy until all that's left are big corpo's taking over from there.

Seems an article Ifall recently posted already is downplaying the importance/relevance of small business. The Bernie bois and AOC squad types actually supporting it. As if if they deserve to go down, because they don't offer the same benny's as big corpos or government.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
this is the same in any beach city in CA for the last couple of months. whats your point? virus is hard to transmit outside according to the science. no ones claiming you have to wear a mask to the beach.
Actually, there are tons of people who think that. Including people who have made laws as such

Those people are idiots

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Which article?

You're right, we didn't do enough, we're still not doing enough, there's too many exceptions. We should have gone full Barcelona style lockdown for 6 weeks back in the beginning. We lost a big opportunity, and now we're paying for it.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
this is the same in any beach city in CA for the last couple of months. whats your point? virus is hard to transmit outside according to the science. no ones claiming you have to wear a mask to the beach.
On beach, yes. I'm talking the streets of the beach towns also. Restaurants are expanding outside all over. Groups of people, barely 6 feet apart, if that, ALL unmasked while dining. Businesses are trying to survive, and people are supporting them, without masks on while dining. I drove by dozens with new expanded outdoor dining, with tables barely 6 feet apart at best.

Is this OK then? I think it is, only because all these restrictions are so convoluted, and rarely enforced, it all a bunch of glad-handed feel good panacea. Some cities are nazi's about it. Some say, OK, we'll claim we "enforce", but look the other way.

After a spike in positive cases and deaths last month overall, (due to new spikes in a few states) it looks like both are back on the downward trend again.

CV19-080920-cases.png
CV19-080920.png

This coming week will be a new indicator if this downward trend is continuing.