Why is Philadelphia such a violent place?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
An interesting aspect of this case to follow. The shooting itself was clearly self defense based on video and statements even by the victim's own family. Here's where it could get tricky for the defendant. You can open carry in PA with no need for a permit but concealed carry requires a permit. Depending on your shirt or jacket an open carry can even become a concealed carry under the wording of the state's law. His only legal infraction may wind up being the manor in which he was carrying his gun.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
how does one even get in to a fight like that

like...we're all at Pat's about to smash some cheesesteaks

c'mon, boys!

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
An interesting aspect of this case to follow. The shooting itself was clearly self defense based on video and statements even by the victim's own family. Here's where it could get tricky for the defendant. You can open carry in PA with no need for a permit but concealed carry requires a permit. Depending on your shirt or jacket an open carry can even become a concealed carry under the wording of the state's law. His only legal infraction may wind up being the manor in which he was carrying his gun.
and there it is. Self defense

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
the latest Philly super-crime....deranged man drives down SIDEWALK and hits a
couple.....THEN turns around and re-runs over the woman who died.

his lawyer is all over the news spinning it....and I'm thinking HE should be smushed....

:devilish:

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
The victim’s family is not claiming self-defense.

And I wonder what the rules are in PA about convicted drug offenders carrying a firearm.

Paul Burkert, 36, of Reading, Pennsylvania, later turned himself in. He was arrested and charged with murder, tampering with evidence, conspiracy and other offenses. Investigators also said Burkert is a convicted drug offender and was not allowed to have a gun. Charles Peruto, Burkert’s attorney, also told NBC10 his client did not have legal possession of the gun.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
how does one even get in to a fight like that

like...we're all at Pat's about to smash some cheesesteaks

c'mon, boys!
Accidently dinged his car in the parking lot. The guy wouldn't let it go even though his family members said they tried to stop him and settle him down. He then attacked the guy who ended up shooting him. The initial attack is on video.

• Wow
Reactions: afoaf

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
it amazes me how people think they have all the inside information on an incident. The internet really fvcks with people’s brains

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
what are the rules l in PA about convicted drug offenders carrying a firearm?

Paul Burkert, 36, of Reading, Pennsylvania, later turned himself in. He was arrested and charged with murder, tampering with evidence, conspiracy and other offenses. Investigators also said Burkert is a convicted drug offender and was not allowed to have a gun. Charles Peruto, Burkert’s attorney, also told NBC10 his client did not have legal possession of the gun

Reactions: GromsDad

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
My sister wants to move out of Philadelphia. Says she's surrounded by too many racist Trumpkins. :shrug:

I enjoy visiting that city. Don't feel particularly unsafe there at all.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
My sister wants to move out of Philadelphia. Says she's surrounded by too many racist Trumpkins. :shrug:

I enjoy visiting that city. Don't feel particularly unsafe there at all.
When was the last time you were there.....and what part? I used to enjoy visiting there too.......past tense. These days if I want to visit a city I'll travel the extra distance to NYC.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
When was the last time you were there.....and what part? I used to enjoy visiting there too.......past tense. These days if I want to visit a city I'll travel the extra distance to NYC.
She lives in Fishtown. Last I was there was just before the pandemic began. A lot of good restaurants in the area. I think I like Northern Liberties more than Fishtown though.

I also live in a diverse part of a major city and therefore do not share your fear of people different from myself, nor your predilection for cherrypicking crime stats to feed that fear. The sh!t I hear on the erBB politics section about what goes on in my city doesn't ring true to my lived experience, and I'd bet this is the same thing but the east coast version.

Reactions: afoaf

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
She lives in Fishtown. Last I was there was just before the pandemic began. A lot of good restaurants in the area. I think I like Northern Liberties more than Fishtown though.

I also live in a diverse part of a major city and therefore do not share your fear of people different from myself, nor your predilection for cherrypicking crime stats to feed that fear. The sh!t I hear on the erBB politics section about what goes on in my city doesn't ring true to my lived experience, and I'd bet this is the same thing but the east coast version.
Is NYC not a diverse city? Philadelphia has quickly become what NYC was in the 70s. A dirty dangerous dump. Its a shame what terrible leadership has done to Philadelphia in just a few years.

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig