Why hike a mountain?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Great winter pics, SUPKing! Baldy is such an awesome mountain and it's got such a great local vibe that you won't see at the mega-ski resorts. I haven't boarded there in a few years and it stung to miss out on snowboarding this season for the most part. And that looked like a really uncrowded day.

When you hike up Devil's Backbone, when you look back down towards the base, you can see the backcountry potential. Chute after chute after chute. It's amazing that it's only an hour out of LA/OC.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Those all sound like good spots, Steak. Life is still young though so plenty of potential. I've gotten my kids camping a bunch from early age and am lucky my wife is just as much into it as I am.

nubreed71

Nep status
Feb 28, 2012
I hope you got the chance to stop at the Mt. Baldy Lodge for a burger/beer afterwards. There's a few "peaks" in there worth checking out as well.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
that first chair up at Baldy is one of the most rickety, butt clenching lifts I have ever ridden.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I hope you got the chance to stop at the Mt. Baldy Lodge for a burger/beer afterwards. There's a few "peaks" in there worth checking out as well.
Was parked right across the street and wasn't even tempted. I was pretty beat and just wanted to get home at that point.

And afoaf, that's one of the things I love about Baldy. It's got soul unlike 98% of ski "resorts". Funny also to watch the tourists cling to the lift in terror as they descend. Plus, how many ski resorts have a stream crossing/gap jump just to get to the bottom of the lift? In the 90s, they also had hands-down the most effective parking lot attendant with the mohawk and endless supplies of energy - no one argued with him either. Good times.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I think I mention this every time Baldy comes up, but....

we got stuck behind some lifted 909 truckdouche on those switchbacks before the lot
on an icy morning....all of a sudden he loses traction and starts sliding...BACKWARDS

the subaru ahead of me gases it to the left and barely misses the guy so I do the same
just as he slips down the hill past me, his wheels whirring at full RPM.

we got to the lot, had a laugh, got on our gear and jammed to the ticket booth.

we did not see another car come in to the lot until we were already on the lift...I think he
must have hit a car and blocked the road.

kooks in confined spaces

nubreed71

Nep status
Feb 28, 2012
Was parked right across the street and wasn't even tempted. I was pretty beat and just wanted to get home at that point.

And afoaf, that's one of the things I love about Baldy. It's got soul unlike 98% of ski "resorts". Funny also to watch the tourists cling to the lift in terror as they descend. Plus, how many ski resorts have a stream crossing/gap jump just to get to the bottom of the lift? In the 90s, they also had hands-down the most effective parking lot attendant with the mohawk and endless supplies of energy - no one argued with him either. Good times.
Our usual routine is to bring a towel/boardshorts and stop in there afterwards for a beer/burger and to use their outdoor shower/swimming pool. It's a nice way to ride home not stinking like a farm animal. That may not have worked for you if it was late in the day though. It's a pretty rowdy crew of waitresses/bartenders in there. Some are a little rough, but others are pretty easy on the eyes.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I think I mention this every time Baldy comes up, but....

we got stuck behind some lifted 909 truckdouche on those switchbacks before the lot
on an icy morning....all of a sudden he loses traction and starts sliding...BACKWARDS

the subaru ahead of me gases it to the left and barely misses the guy so I do the same
just as he slips down the hill past me, his wheels whirring at full RPM.

we got to the lot, had a laugh, got on our gear and jammed to the ticket booth.

we did not see another car come in to the lot until we were already on the lift...I think he
must have hit a car and blocked the road.

kooks in confined spaces
It makes me laugh how non-functional those lifted trucks are (how did you tell the difference between 909 and HB/NB?). I guess they do OK in parking lots. So kooky there isn't even a surfing equivalent.

But yeah, the meatheads going up the hill are a nuisance. Nowhere near as bad as Mt. High, though.

Lucky deal in one way that you had the mountain pretty much to yourself for a while as a result.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Our usual routine is to bring a towel/boardshorts and stop in there afterwards for a beer/burger and to use their outdoor shower/swimming pool. It's a nice way to ride home not stinking like a farm animal. That may not have worked for you if it was late in the day though. It's a pretty rowdy crew of waitresses/bartenders in there. Some are a little rough, but others are pretty easy on the eyes.
I smelled pretty bad after that hike and probably would have gotten 86ed by a blind bouncer.

Funny - 30+ years of going to Baldy and I've never stopped in there. One of these days...

nubreed71

Nep status
Feb 28, 2012
I smelled pretty bad after that hike and probably would have gotten 86ed by a blind bouncer.

Funny - 30+ years of going to Baldy and I've never stopped in there. One of these days...
It's worth popping in for a Sierra Nevada and a burger for sure. Some great people watching in there.