Why hike a mountain?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That's awesome. My wife just left for a 65 mile hike(5 days) on the PCT with her friends. I have ZERO interest in doing something like that. Great pics, thanks for posting.
Thanks!

That's really cool your wife is hiking part of the PCT. I'm envious! What section is she doing?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
She's done a few different sections, but this time it's Bishop to Kearsarge Pass.
Nice! That area is so beautiful. My wife and I hiked Kearsarge Pass last year. I would love to do that hike again one day. Good timing for your wife too as a lot of the snow melted. I follow a couple PCT blogs/vlogs (the Restless Kiwi lady is next-level hardcore) and the snow was really deep, even in early summer. A lot of people were forced to flip-flop for safety reasons.

Hope she has a great time!

Reactions: PPK96754

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Nice! That area is so beautiful. My wife and I hiked Kearsarge Pass last year. I would love to do that hike again one day. Good timing for your wife too as a lot of the snow melted. I follow a couple PCT blogs/vlogs (the Restless Kiwi lady is next-level hardcore) and the snow was really deep, even in early summer. A lot of people were forced to flip-flop for safety reasons.

Hope she has a great time!
Thanks, I hope she does too!

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Great hike and report Kento! Peak bagging is cool and it's great that it's so close to the big smoggy basin. Reminds me of Norman Clyde, dude was a peak bagging stud in the Sierras back in the day. A few years ago we did Kearsarge then down to the PCT/Muir Trail, then southbound over Forester (13,200' ballbuster) Pass, then over another pass to Lake South America where my grandson caught his first golden trout. We're stocked to have such great mountains for us to play in.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
then over another pass to Lake South America
That zone is where I've been trying to plan a route and trip but would like to take more time than just a few nights. Crossed the GTW and dropped into the Kern Valley at Volcano Falls, on to Kern Lakes and then to the forks 2 years ago and it was pretty dreamy.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Great hike and report Kento! Peak bagging is cool and it's great that it's so close to the big smoggy basin. Reminds me of Norman Clyde, dude was a peak bagging stud in the Sierras back in the day. A few years ago we did Kearsarge then down to the PCT/Muir Trail, then southbound over Forester (13,200' ballbuster) Pass, then over another pass to Lake South America where my grandson caught his first golden trout. We're stocked to have such great mountains for us to play in.
Thanks! It is amazing to have this kind of terrain right in my backyard. Granted I left home at 3:15 AM but it took just a little over an hour to get to the trailhead. To which I spent almost half an hour screwing around with equipment. The hike slayed me but I like to think that was part because I was operating on 0 sleep.

Those mountain lakes are beautiful and what a great place to catch your first fish!

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Why? The views of course. Next time I wanna see a photo of the mountain shadow taken from the top at exact sunrise...or sunset. Check out what these shadows look like in the last vid I just posted on the Distant Shores thread.

Nice hike Kento.....getting 'um done.

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
That's some strong hiking. Don't know if you hit the Sierra, but the southern range is only 4 hrs from SoCal.

There are a bunch of east side passes in the 6k range: Shepherd, Taboose, Sawmill. Shepherd puts you right in upper Kern, Sawmill into Wood lakes, and Taboose in the upper basin under Mather.

Whitney is also 6k, and combined 12k gain/loss if done as a day hike. Same with Langley and some other non-technical 14k peaks.

You'd like the big passes because they're not only pretty empty (for obvious reasons), but they also give you sense of accomplishment.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Now that it is 48 hrs after that monster of a hike, how are the 'small, downhill muscles'?

No matter how in shape I pretend to get before I do any decent hiking, I have found it very difficult to prepare my legs for the downhill aspect.

After something like what Kento did, I think I would have trouble walking down a flight of stairs without grimacing the following day..

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
When you can hike 6!

Oh yesterday was a long day, especially since I was so hyped/anxious, I didn't get a single wink of sleep the night before. Started up Mt. Baldy from the Village via Bear Canyon hike at around 5:15 AM. I knew this was going to be tough but that middle section was brutal. You can do all the research you want but once you're in it, that's when reality hits. The first 1.6 miles were pretty mellow but then you see the mountain in front of you. The steep switchbacks through the manzanita were one thing but the hike up the ridgeline was hell. 3,000 vertical feet in about 2 miles. After that, it gets easier and by easier I mean from very difficult to just plain hard. I took a lot of breathers on the way up and got to the top of West Baldy around 9:45 (Peak 1), moseyed over to the main Baldy Peak (#2) and then across to Mt. Harwood (#3). About 8 miles in at this point and legs were just thrashed. But I could see the Notch restaurant oh so close. Headed down Devil's Backbone (thankfully not too crowded) and then down the Turkey Chute trail, which has always been one of my favorite runs. Cool to check it out off-season. Burgers and beers never tasted so good. Chilled with a couple other hikers, talked some story.

Most sane people would probably call it a day and head down the road or lift to the bottom but I was kind of on a mission. Luckily, the break refreshed me a lot and, combined with an energy gel, I was ready to complete the rest of my goal. In short order, hiked to the top of Thunder Mountain (#4). Was a trip to be there in summer. I've hung out on that deck so many years, BBQing, tossing back beers, the nostalgia was strong. A hell of a lot stronger than the deck was. So many years also I have stared at Telegraph Peak (#5) across the way. This time I was actually going to hike it. The hike drops you down into a saddle and then you have to regain all the ground you lost. Tough but highly rewarding. I kept telling myself that I just did 6,000' of elevation already, 800' shouldn't be a big deal. That became my favorite peak in the area. Amazing 360 degree views and I had it to myself. Actually, I had the entire Three T's to myself. Time was getting short and I knew the sun would be going behind the mountains soon so hustled up to Timber Mtn (#6) and then down to Icehouse Saddle, getting there about 6 PM. I had forgotten how sh*tty going down that is, especially when you are already pretty tired. Only 3.5 miles but navigating a ton of rocks and other debris just makes it take so much longer than it should. Got down to the bottom at 7:30 PM, just as it got dark. My feet were torn up at this point and I was dreading the two mile road walk back to my car. Thankfully, a good samaritan gave me a lift within minutes.

All told: 23 miles, 8,000+ elevation gain. Got home just in time to see the 2nd half of USC beating Stanford. Good day.

View attachment 80703
Sunrise over the Telegraph Peak

View attachment 80704
Cool rock formation on Bear Canyon Trail.

View attachment 80706
Near the top. West Baldy in background with main Baldy peak just out of frame to right.

View attachment 80707
Getting closer.

View attachment 80708
Top of West Baldy with Baldy in the background.

View attachment 80709
Satisfaction! Top of Baldy.
Yeah Kento, looks like an epic day! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That's some strong hiking. Don't know if you hit the Sierra, but the southern range is only 4 hrs from SoCal.

There are a bunch of east side passes in the 6k range: Shepherd, Taboose, Sawmill. Shepherd puts you right in upper Kern, Sawmill into Wood lakes, and Taboose in the upper basin under Mather.

Whitney is also 6k, and combined 12k gain/loss if done as a day hike. Same with Langley and some other non-technical 14k peaks.

You'd like the big passes because they're not only pretty empty (for obvious reasons), but they also give you sense of accomplishment.
Thanks! While I did complete that hike, I was about halfway up Baldy when I did a brutally honest self-assessment that I need to be in better shape to hike Whitney, Big Iron, and other high elevation hikes. Part of that though was that I had almost zero exercise the previous two weeks while I was nursing a couple battered toes back to health. That being said, though, it felt really good to push myself to the utter extent of my abilities and achieve my goal.

I researched that hike pretty extensively but even so, I did the cardinal double-whammy of sins where I overestimated my current condition and underestimated how difficult that first leg of the hike was. I am still relatively new to the hiking game, really only getting into the longer treks over the last year. Although it is absolutely not a race (well, maybe against the sun), it stung a little to get quickly passed up by several people, most of who were in their 50s and 60s. Obviously WAY more experienced hikers but it was humbling to realize that I was on a trail that separated the men from the boys and that I was a young teen, relatively. But I was successful and didn't hurt or kill myself and that's what counts. All part of gaining experience and this was a huge accomplishment that is really starting to sink in now and I'm pretty stocked. I've done a lot since hiking my first pass and summit last summer, which was Mono Pass and Mt. Starr via Mosquito Flats. The addiction hit hard from there and I definitely want to get back to the Sierras next year.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i just photoshop myself on mountains, its easier

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Now that it is 48 hrs after that monster of a hike, how are the 'small, downhill muscles'?

No matter how in shape I pretend to get before I do any decent hiking, I have found it very difficult to prepare my legs for the downhill aspect.

After something like what Kento did, I think I would have trouble walking down a flight of stairs without grimacing the following day..
Oh those muscles are thrashed!:ROFLMAO:

Going up and down stairs is tough, although better today. Even getting up off the toilet had my quads screaming at me.

The toughest part was that to try to nudge myself to sleep the night before the hike, I took some melatonin. Had exact opposite effect and wired me to point I couldn't sleep. Was like a bad mushroom trip where I had pretty crazy hallucinations/daydreams and my mind refused to go to sleep. Chalked that up to anxiety/excitement. Took another dosage last night to ensure I got a good night's sleep and same deal. 0 minutes of sleep even though I was exhausted. After ripping that Vitafusion company a new asshole this morning, called in sick to work, and took some good ol fashioned NyQuil and slept for a solid 6 hours just now. Needed it!

The positive thing to take away is that I still completed my goal despite these self-imposed handicaps!