Why do we worry about subtleties in shape and not empty fin boxes?

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
No, not dumb
Back to the question, nothing
Such a small area impossible to notice
If someone tells you the can feel , they're full of $#!t

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I mean, I agree, but talk a we lot about subtleties of shape and glass on vs removable fins and it seems that if these really matter then fin boxes should matter and if fin boxes don't matter, do the others?

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I have been thinking the same thing. Not a dumb question, Thanks for asking, and answering. There are plugs for unused FCS holes but that's not gonna help me. YMMV.
I will be surprised if this remains largely unaddressed in the near future, say 5 - 10 years as the surfboard evolves and more users are more and more knowledgeable about everything.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Additional things to think about (or not):

- the weight of the additional fin boxes
- the diminished flex in the tail from the extra boxes
- the different hydrodynamic properties of a glass on fin with fin fillets vs a removable fin
- fin template efficiency
- fin foil efficiency
- fin weight
- fin flex
- and I'm sure there's a bunch more

Some of these things I pay attention to. Some are probably bullish*t and don't matter.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
didn't someone say their shaper said not to get a 5 fin box, messes w flex of tail?

Not that i'm going to notice

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I had a rather famous surfer tell me he won't put kick tail stomp pads on his board because water sucks over the rail and across the tail in the tube (Known as wet decking) and the kick tail is like a brake, causing drag. We didn't talk about his leash.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I had a rather famous surfer tell me he won't put kick tail stomp pads on his board because water sucks over the rail and across the tail in the tube (Known as wet decking) and the kick tail is like a brake, causing drag. We didn't talk about his leash.
That and if you think about it a Pad isn't deck flush. Couldn't that be an issue as well?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Fuk empty fin boxes I worry about drag from my leash string and matching with my board and pad:toilet:

• Love
Reactions: jkb