Why do home quesadillas suck compared to the Shops?

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
What gives! :bricks: (I miss the head banging dude/emocon r32)

I have never been able to produce a legit quesadilla at home. I’ve tried adding oil to the cheese, garlic powder, going low and slow…Never, ever, can get that goodness.

Is it all about the lard? If so, why can’t we get lard torillas at Ralph’s :barf:

Please help my gringoness.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
2 flour tortillas
lots of grated monterey jack that you grated yourself
1 sliced grilled chix breast
maybe some already cooked poblanos
assemble on a med temp skillet and cook till the little black bubbles happen on the tortilla and then flip.
Cook till the cheese that oozes out gets crusty, don't throw that chit away. Slice to 4 or 6 triangles like a pizza
top with guac and crema and stfu.
No sliced olives, gay oil, lard or garlic salt. Dry cook that motherfooker in a pan yo.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
get the guerrero grande burrito size tortilla and shredded mexican cheese (or shred yourself), then heat a large flat pan on medium or medium low and cover the whole tortilla with cheese, once cheese has melted fold over and cook shortly on both sides. Just like my local shop. Use more cheese and a lower temperature than you think you need.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
restaraunts use better tortillas
fry em in grease for better taste

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
I usually butter both sides of the tortilla and then stick it in the oven on BROIL. Only needs a couple minutes. It's crisps up both sides for a crunchy and buttery bite. I'll usually stuff them with cheese and 10-hour smoked pulled pork. Dip in sour cream and home made guacamole. I prefer them over restaurant versions.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It's weird how guys got into upping the ante when it comes cooking.

It's a notable thing.

Straight guys didn't do this in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I've never had a good quesadilla from a take out joint. Not sure I've ordered any. Mostly just finished somebody else's late at night. They were always greasy, floppy, and terrible. Not worth ordering most of the time.

A friend started a pop up cooking business basically focused on shrimp in tortillas with cheese in various forms. quesadilla, tacos of different styles, sometimes he makes chowder or sandwiches.
These were the best quesadillas I've ever had.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I've never had a good quesadilla from a take out joint. Not sure I've ordered any. Mostly just finished somebody else's late at night. They were always greasy, floppy, and terrible. Not worth ordering most of the time.

A friend started a pop up cooking business basically focused on shrimp in tortillas with cheese in various forms. quesadilla, tacos of different styles, sometimes he makes chowder or sandwiches.
These were the best quesadillas I've ever had.
Camaronillas.