Why did pro-life groups rebuke Trump for abortion comments? Seems to me like he was on point...

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
frvcvs said:
Surfdog said:
frvcvs said:
Out of curiosity, what laws should be states rights and what laws should be left up to the federal government and who decides? If states rights are so sacred why is there federal law at all?
For one thing, many federal laws rarely get enforced to the book. Look at federal marijuana laws as just a single example.

There's few "feds" in every state to enforce their laws completely. So, the states try, or make up their own, stronger or weaker, depending on the constituents votes or reps.

The IRS is about as "fed" of a enforcer as you're gonna get, unless it's a major felony.
So then what's the point? :shrug:
The point is to have a tool to use when the outrageous transgression becomes a problem*.

I am not so sure the US of A really, truly, needs a law enforcement community that operates at perfect efficiency when it comes to enforcing all the the laws on the books.

* - how to define 'problem' is beyond the scope of my limited mind at the moment, but I am sure the lawyer types will step up.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Mr Doof said:
I am not so sure the US of A really, truly, needs a law enforcement community that operates at perfect efficiency when it comes to enforcing all the the laws on the books.
Of course. There's all kinds of crazy unenforceable and stupid laws on the books. Some dated, some not. From crazy cabaret laws to sodomy laws. Do we really want the government wasting it's time enforcing laws about dancing and butt- :dancing: ?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
frvcvs said:
Mr Doof said:
Of course. There's all kinds of crazy unenforceable and stupid laws on the books. Some dated, some not. From crazy cabaret laws to sodomy laws. Do we really want the government wasting it's time enforcing laws about dancing and butt- :dancing: ?
Actually, receiving a heterosexual hummer was considered an act of sodomy according to the old rules on the books.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
23rdstMB said:
frvcvs said:
Out of curiosity, what laws should be states rights and what laws should be left up to the federal government and who decides? If states rights are so sacred why is there federal law at all?
Collect taxes, pay debts, borrow money, regulate commerce, establish uniform naturalization laws, establish uniform bankruptcy laws, coin money, establish punishment for counterfeiters, establish post offices and roads for delivering the mail, provide laws for copyrights and patents, constitute tribunals accountable to the Supreme Court, establish punishment for crimes committed at sea, declare war, raise and support various branches of the military, establish a national capital, make laws.

Everything else we should let the states handle.
What happened to your "tenther" post?

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Donald Trump has a long-standing pro-abortion history. A couple of years ago, after Trump decided to run as a Republican, Trump announced that he is, and has always been pro-life. When confronted with his earlier pro-abortion statements, Trump said that he had simply changed his mind.

Last week a TV reporter asked Trump point-blank if women should be imprisoned for having abortions. Trump answered "yes", then went on with a statement affirming this position. The next day the news media hounded Trump because Trump's statement made him look bad to a lot of voters. Trump back-pedaled, saying that abortion doctors should be the ones locked up, and not women who've had abortions. Trump blamed his earlier slip-up on a "convoluted question? .....which it was not. Later, Trump again backpedaled, saying that abortion laws should remain the way they are. That says that Trump believes in abortion on demand.

There are a couple of problems here:

1. Trump tried to mouth the conservative position on abortion, but failed because Trump doesn't know what the conservative position on abortion is. Trump is not pro-life, and is obviously not a conservative.

2. All of the double talk and back-pedaling show what Trump truly is, a poser. Today Trump firmly believes in whatever he thinks will get him elected. If he has to completely reverse himself tomorrow, then we're not allowed to consider him a valueless opportunist.

Per the Constitution, federal courts and the federal government have no right or authority in abortion, one way or the other.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
If you were (un)fortunate enough to witness Trump at Aspen in the 80s, you would view him as a complete blowhard poser. Complete kook.

In fact, the only people probably more hated than him there were the Kennedy family.

23rdstMB

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Nov 14, 2002
Home
FecalFace said:
GromsDad said:
23rdstMB said:
frvcvs said:
Collect taxes, pay debts, borrow money, regulate commerce, establish uniform naturalization laws, establish uniform bankruptcy laws, coin money, establish punishment for counterfeiters, establish post offices and roads for delivering the mail, provide laws for copyrights and patents, constitute tribunals accountable to the Supreme Court, establish punishment for crimes committed at sea, declare war, raise and support various branches of the military, establish a national capital, make laws.

Exactly right.
So you value life so much that you wouldn't allow abortion in your state.
You would just inconvenience a woman to drive across state line to get one.
That's a great moral stand.

Why even have a country?
Why not just have 51 shitty little countries and California?
That would be great because we could build a wall.
I think you've missed the point. Nowhere in there does it say I don't want abortion in my state. Let the states decide- pretty simple. Your state doesn't allow certain abortion procedures then yes- take Southwest to your nearest neighbor that does. Or better yet move there as that state more closely aligns with your life's priorities.

23rdstMB

Nov 14, 2002
Home
ifallalot said:
23rdstMB said:
frvcvs said:

So burn the Constitution and go back to the Articles of Confederation.

:foreheadslap:

The Founders are rolling in their graves
Picking through the weeds now aren't you? No difference... the Constitution that was later ratified simply added more power to the executive and courts.

23rdstMB

Nov 14, 2002
Home
frvcvs said:
23rdstMB said:
frvcvs said:

What happened to your "tenther" post?
edited. The Tenth Amendment is a good point nonetheless. Nice catch though- with 5 hours difference I thought all you kooks would be hugging your body pillows :cheers:

captyoda

Nep status
Feb 18, 2013
North County
A couple things that trip me out. Can someone please explain to me.

1. The Pro life thing. Ok life is so awesome and precious and sacred and under no circumstances can we have an abortion. How come so many pro-life republicans have no problems with the death penalty and killing in wars? It seems to me if life is sacred and awesome and gods gift then its all sacred and we shouldn't take any of it?

2. Republicans and strong christian ties. If you take the new testament literal Jesus is like a hippie man, he's kinda like Bernie dude. He's all about giving and giving and sharing with your fellow man. The whole rich man threading a camel through needles eye thing. It seems Democrats should be the religious Christians but somehow republicans kinda highjacked it but don't mind being crazy rich and doing generally bad things. Its kinda like republicans come across as phonys who don't actually "get" being spiritual and sorta think you can do whatever the fuck you want as long as you go to church on Sunday and give some money.

These two points always seems backwards to me, but the only thing I can come up with is Republicans are generally shallow people who lack any depth in their intellect. They seem disconnected to empathy towards others, empathy towards the planet and just a general disconnect to any form of spirituality that isn't sterile and homogenized.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
23rdstMB said:
FecalFace said:
GromsDad said:
23rdstMB said:
frvcvs said:

Exactly right.
So you value life so much that you wouldn't allow abortion in your state.
You would just inconvenience a woman to drive across state line to get one.
That's a great moral stand.

Why even have a country?
Why not just have 51 shitty little countries and California?
That would be great because we could build a wall.
I think you've missed the point. Nowhere in there does it say I don't want abortion in my state. Let the states decide- pretty simple. Your state doesn't allow certain abortion procedures then yes- take Southwest to your nearest neighbor that does. Or better yet move there as that state more closely aligns with your life's priorities.
What is the point of the laws like that? To slightly inconvenience people so they have to drive to another state to get an abortion or buy a gun?
What kind of moral stand or law is it that changes exactly NOTHING? :foreheadslap:

23rdstMB

Nov 14, 2002
Home
its about state governments taking control of smaller, more regional issues. You know how big and diverse our country is... One all powerful government is simply too big and slow to satisfy the needs of everyone. Sort of like a farmer's market thats able to supply local restaurants. The food is usually fresher and the tastes more adapted to that area. It can be the same for government. One government that is all powerful can too easily venture into the tyrannical, IMO. Federalism simply applies more checks and balances to that power. :cheers:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
23rdstMB said:
its about state governments taking control of smaller, more regional issues. You know how big and diverse our country is... One all powerful government is simply too big and slow to satisfy the needs of everyone. Sort of like a farmer's market thats able to supply local restaurants. The food is usually fresher and the tastes more adapted to that area. It can be the same for government. One government that is all powerful can too easily venture into the tyrannical, IMO. Federalism simply applies more checks and balances to that power. :cheers:
In theory, you are correct.

In practice, States try and pass unconstitutional and discriminatory laws. I'm all for states having the power to make their own laws, they just have to remember the supremacy of federal law and power

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
every sperm is precious.
every sperm is good.
every sperm is wanted..
in your neigh-bor-hood.

23rdstMB

Nov 14, 2002
Home
ifallalot said:
23rdstMB said:
In theory, you are correct.

In practice, States try and pass unconstitutional and discriminatory laws. I'm all for states having the power to make their own laws, they just have to remember the supremacy of federal law and power
In theory, YOU are correct.

As long as the federal government enforces the laws its supposed to enforce. COUGHbordersecurityCOUGH

Not sure which "unconstitutional" laws you are referring to- Marriage? Constitution says nothing about marriage... so... its up to the states to decide. :poke: :cheers: