Why are surfers so bad at making music?

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
I was trying to make a joke about the Butthole Surfers cause I just assumed they were making a play on words about surfers who are a$$holes. I never listened to much of their music but what you guys are saying make sense.

Casey Royer of D.I. surfs, but he hates surfing in H.B.!

Jul 8, 2008
Kirk Hammet surfs. I don't know about well, but he certainly qualifies in the music category. Like most things the amount of time to become truly great at something makes it hard to become really proficient in other areas.

Skynyrd spent summers practicing in a shack outside of Jacksonville where they'd play for days on end
The Beatles spent time in Hamburg where they played all night every night.
The Stooges lived in an abandoned house in Detroit figuring out how to be a band.
Eddie Van Halen spent weekends in his bedroom with a six pack and would play guitar all night while Alex went out in Pasadena trying to score chicks. And Eddie was already an accomplished pianist at that point.
Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan pretty much lived with their guitars.

Fook 10,000 hours. These guys got their 10,000 hours in a summer. On the other spectrum I recall watching momentum generation and it seemed like half those guys came from broken homes or were latchkey kids. I'm sure there are guys on this forum that rip, but I'm also sure if they bothered to think about how much time they'd spent in the water over their lives..it'll be quite a bit.

It's really hard to be truly accomplished at anything, let alone two.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
Fook 10,000 hours. These guys got their 10,000 hours in a summer. On the other spectrum I recall watching momentum generation and it seemed like half those guys came from broken homes or were latchkey kids. I'm sure there are guys on this forum that rip, but I'm also sure if they bothered to think about how much time they'd spent in the water over their lives..it'll be quite a bit.

It's really hard to be truly accomplished at anything, let alone two.

ever think about how much time u spend in the water just sitting or paddling?
maybe in a 2 hr session at an average beach break u get 20 waves, maybe 5 seconds long on average
and how much of each wave is spent on actual maneuvers?
do even the best surfers at the best waves get 10,000 hours of maneuvers in 10 years?
your average surfer sure doesnt