Why are surfers so bad at making music?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
What? Next you're going to tell me The Sex Pistols are referring to dongs.
Duffy is correct. Or were you joking?

Listen to the song "Butthole Surfer." It's about the gays.

I don't think the problem is surfers making bad music so much as surfers making "music for surfers." It's like it's part of the "lifestyle branding" of surfing, and the expectation is that if you surf you like this music. Feels that way anyway. I'm not a fan of Jack Johnson, Donovan F, any of that crap. Alex Knost's band was mildly interesting for a minute; mildly, and just a minute.

As mentioned, Jane's Addiction made some fantastic music back in the day. While I never really liked Incubus, there is far worse music made by surfers out there.

The Mermen ("surf music" in the rockabilly sense) didn't/don't suck either, at least one of them surfs.

Did any of the dude's in the 1980's South Bay punk scene surf? Black Flag? Circle Jerks, et. al.? Pretty sure Keith Morris surfs.

Agent Orange are/were surfers?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Whoa now. Don't lump me in that category. I don't "make" music but I definitely make it better.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Reactions: rowjimmytour

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
There's an Agent Orange interview where they joke about being a surf band that doesn't really surf, but early on they had occasion to commute from valley to the beach, by bus with boogie boards under arm.
Sounds surfy enough to pass when placed beside the surf influencers getting that about to paddle out shot before heading back to the van for fruit bowls.
Who was it with the lyric "real surf music is dead". Jim Morrison?

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
Duffy is correct. Or were you joking?

Listen to the song "Butthole Surfer." It's about the gays.

I don't think the problem is surfers making bad music so much as surfers making "music for surfers." It's like it's part of the "lifestyle branding" of surfing, and the expectation is that if you surf you like this music. Feels that way anyway. I'm not a fan of Jack Johnson, Donovan F, any of that crap. Alex Knost's band was mildly interesting for a minute; mildly, and just a minute.

As mentioned, Jane's Addiction made some fantastic music back in the day. While I never really liked Incubus, there is far worse music made by surfers out there.

The Mermen ("surf music" in the rockabilly sense) didn't/don't suck either, at least one of them surfs.

Did any of the dude's in the 1980's South Bay punk scene surf? Black Flag? Circle Jerks, et. al.? Pretty sure Keith Morris surfs.

Agent Orange are/were surfers?
keith morris does not surf. the sterns from youth brigade, that dude from the stitches surf, jack from tsol, a bunch of em. chris isaak does in fact charge. i sat in the channel too scared and watched him catch a few at a spot between sc and sf. heavy!