Why are surfers so bad at making music?

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
I like some of Dan Reeders music and he mentions being a surfer in an interview when asked about a song that references it.
I just found out about dan reeder recently, I really dig it, good songwriter and I like his do-everything-yourself aesthetic. Also really like how he multitracks his vocals to turn a not-born-singer's voice into something interesting and characterful.

I've heard that Chris Isaak can (could?) be seen surfing here in SF, but I don't think I'd recognize him in a lineup so I haven't been able to confirm myself.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
So far I've seen Donovan and Jack J mentioned but they didn't say if they thought their surfer music was good or bad?

I'm going to just say it. I love them both as human beings but I personally don't care for their music.

Ok, there.. I said it.
I grew up with thicker than water and the september sessions, and I still think those show good taste and a cinematic quality that wasn't seen elsewhere. But yeah, his albums.. I did not understand how they took off the way they did. I didn't actively dislike it, it just seemed like there wasn't much substance there.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Jack Johnson is good in a Im learning how to play guitar and need to learn a few songs to impress a girl kind of way.

Beyond a few campfire riffs it doesn’t really offer much musically.

most surfers don’t know they’re bad at surfing and so I assume the same about surfers and their music.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I've always thought good music was overated.
Goons of Doom for example aren't really trying to be good, and they pullied it off beautifully. Moldy Peaches too.
I don't know that the Cosmic Psychos surf or not, but that's some good sh!t in a 30 some year old kinda way. Still, they're not the ohSeas.
Good music is overated.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Tim Curran?

Also, at the end of the “Castles in the Sky” is a great ballad, “The Loving Trail.” I looked to see who it was in the credits and it was Dan Malloy. I give that song two thumbs up. Taylor Steele’s later films had great soundtracks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc
Oct 19, 2022
I dont know but it shows in the soundtracks for lots of the weekend edits that I see. Most have maybe 3 songs and the first one is good and the rest are donk.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I just found out about dan reeder recently, I really dig it, good songwriter and I like his do-everything-yourself aesthetic. Also really like how he multitracks his vocals to turn a not-born-singer's voice into something interesting and characterful.

I've heard that Chris Isaak can (could?) be seen surfing here in SF, but I don't think I'd recognize him in a lineup so I haven't been able to confirm myself.

Yea reeders got that added cool factor being that he does his own album artwork, but more impressively builds his own instruments. Apparently John Prine was a big fan.

Reactions: Tarab_ish