Why are Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell so much smarter than Kelly Slater and Shane Dorian?

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Im happy to have Kelly and Shane as ambassadors to our sport as I see them as fairly articulate guys. Both of them would probably be successful at any pursuit they chose. How'd you like Wardo and Fletcher as our figureheads? I have only seen a 60 minutes segment on Honnold and he seemed like a humble and articulate dude. Genius? Leaps ahead of Kelly? I didnt notice that. Will investigate further.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
They actually have to interact with people in the world as opposed to getting treated like royalty by rich white people who can afford beach front housing?

Or, Asperger's. One or the other.
also they probably went to real school for most of their early lives, Honnold was studying engineering at Cal before becoming a climber. Slater probably home schooled for the most part and Dorian a product of HI public schools

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Intelligence is highly over-rated in modern western society.

Who wants smarts, when ignorance is bliss?

Rather be a happy idiot, than a suffering intellectual any day of the semana baby.

:foreheadslap::jamon::beer::shrug::D:p

I spent twice the time I attended college unlearning the stupid theoretical BS they taught us all there as soon as I hit the professional world.

Books are for dummies, what like to be told what to think.

:poke::poke::poke:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
also they probably went to real school for most of their early lives, Honnold was studying engineering at Cal before becoming a climber. Slater probably home schooled for the most part and Dorian a product of HI public schools
The value of a solid education that makes you read books and write essays can't be underestimated. The cumulative effect of reading and writing and having your work critiqued is that you will become a much better communicator overall. Even engineering students have to do this. Not many people are naturally articulate.