Who's working? Who's not?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
A floor was evacuated. Full on sirens and do not take elevator. I have no idea why. There was no fire. I’m assuming cv. I figure I’m safer in my office then running into people. Unless it’s outbreak style airborne.

Reactions: rts265

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Not that I'm a fan of DoD (having been in the Navy), it looks like this is why he got relieved: giving away the location of the ship which endangers the crew as well as the way he went about his solution:

OPSEC means you keep the location of the ship a secret, amongst other things. I think he gave it away.
There was very low risk of any of his under-40 crew would die of the disease. He also needlessly alarmed the families which causes chaos.

I'm betting the press is spinning this without all the facts in hand, like usual.
From what I'm hearing, he made a report to his superiors. Somehow, the report got leaked. If he followed chain of command and then somebody blew it once it reached a higher level, that is pretty fvcked.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I've been lucky that my school district rolled out the transition to distance learning the way they did. I've been in pause and prep mode for 2 weeks - getting my office area dialed (I've got a standing and sitting option), getting Mrs. B's office dialed (we're in separate rooms so we can take meetings at the same time and get some space from each other), contacting students, etc. We just finished our first week and I have today to follow up on kids that didn't check in and forward names to admin that I can't contact to follow up. With the announcement that we will be teaching online for the remainder of the year, I'm able to plan through the next 2 months on the same platform.

Mrs. B's district has tripped over their own feet through the whole process. Granted they are a elementary/middle school district, but their rush to action led to way too many ill conceived plans and overlooking simple solutions. Her district is actually acting AGAINST the State superintendent's advice to close campuses for the year on some "Tony Thurmond can't tell us what to do", sh!t. Her district serves a wealthyish community that has a few campuses that have families that live a very different reality. She's had zoom meeting after zoom meeting with teachers and admin. I've had 2. The rest of my time I'm able to plan, work with students, and post on the erBB.
My district was very proactive which was a good thing. What is scary now though for a lot of adjuncts/staff is if this keeps going past 5/31 and bleeds over into the upcoming 20/21 fiscal year.

With the online format in place a lot of part time faculty and support staff are going to get cut if this continues. The Classified employees union here is already sounding the warning.

Something we have to face in education is that going to an online format requires a lot less staff when the personal interface is removed.

Also there is the budget consideration if enrollment drops as a consequence.

ThaDood

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2003
Playa Zen
I work in a marine dept. for a Fortune 500 company. We deal with ships that come into our port and docks from all over the world. Before this all started, I would go on the ships and conduct a pre-transfer conference with the captain or chief officer with the signing of several documents, regulations, process instructions etc.
Now, we can not go on the ship, 1 ship employees must come on shore and we conduct the meeting in an open area under a tent cover. All documents are sprayed with Lysol disinfectant, we are required to wear nitrile lab gloves and must be 6 get from one another.
Most of the ship officers are Russian, Croatian, and Scandinavian while the deck crews are Filipino . But some ships come in there are entirely Chinese, Japanese, and Indian officers and deck crews.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I work in a marine dept. for a Fortune 500 company. We deal with ships that come into our port and docks from all over the world. Before this all started, I would go on the ships and conduct a pre-transfer conference with the captain or chief officer with the signing of several documents, regulations, process instructions etc.
Now, we can not go on the ship, 1 ship employees must come on shore and we conduct the meeting in an open area under a tent cover. All documents are sprayed with Lysol disinfectant, we are required to wear nitrile lab gloves and must be 6 get from one another.
Most of the ship officers are Russian, Croatian, and Scandinavian while the deck crews are Filipino . But some ships come in there are entirely Chinese, Japanese, and Indian officers and deck crews.
Giant, floating petri dishes...

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
From what I'm hearing, he made a report to his superiors. Somehow, the report got leaked. If he followed chain of command and then somebody blew it once it reached a higher level, that is pretty fvcked.
Capt. Crozier immediate superior was onboard the same boat. The non-secure, unclassified email that he sent included at least “20 to 30” recipients in addition to the captain’s immediate chain of command. He wanted for the email to be leaked.
I don't know if his actions were necessary or not. Logically you would think that his command wouldn't let a bunch of sailors die needlessly but I know that logic often has little to do with military command.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Capt. Crozier immediate superior was onboard the same boat. The non-secure, unclassified email that he sent included at least “20 to 30” recipients in addition to the captain’s immediate chain of command. He wanted for the email to be leaked.
I don't know if his actions were necessary or not. Logically you would think that his command wouldn't let a bunch of sailors die needlessly but I know that logic often has little to do with military command.
What you don't hear then...

Captain Crozier. That is Deja Vu if you ever have read about the Arctic Franklin Expedition. Captain Frances Crozier commanded the steam frigate "Terror".

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
My brother is still working.

Apples.

He has a team of four guys spraying fungicides right now to protect the apple crop.

Scab. A fungal disease that attacks the skin of the fruit. Every year in Spring. The spores are in the soil. It rains and then the sun comes out. The drying soil steams and the spores are released.

They use a natural solution of Lime/Sulpher. If you have ever been around a commercial apple orchard in Spring, you know the smell.

So his guys are wearing full hazmat body suits. Hazmat eye protection, and the best commercial face filters on the market. To meet current CA pesticide application standards.

His guys are more protected on a daily basis than anybody in the general population. And they are farm workers.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Been working up till now. Tonight is the last night. We are "going to start back on the 13th" is how it was put to us, but I think this will be at least 3-4 weeks.

Seems kind of dark to me, right now.

• Sad
Reactions: the janitor

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
My brother is still working.

Apples.

He has a team of four guys spraying fungicides right now to protect the apple crop.

Scab. A fungal disease that attacks the skin of the fruit. Every year in Spring. The spores are in the soil. It rains and then the sun comes out. The drying soil steams and the spores are released.

They use a natural solution of Lime/Sulpher. If you have ever been around a commercial apple orchard in Spring, you know the smell.

So his guys are wearing full hazmat body suits. Hazmat eye protection, and the best commercial face filters on the market. To meet current CA pesticide application standards.

His guys are more protected on a daily basis than anybody in the general population. And they are farm workers.
You are in Ag.

You know what is going on. At least all of these Hombres are getting a weekly paycheck.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
<iframe width="1189" height="669" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: ratfink

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
He knew that by sending that email his career would be ruined. Going outside the chain of command is a huge no-no in 100% of militaries around the world.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Captain Crozier. The captain who led the most advanced arctic expedition of its time...

We are picking up the pieces lately now...