Who's working? Who's not?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
What do you do?

I'm a public school teacher. I do not foresee going back to work for at least a month. But I'm getting paid. If it was a choice of not being paid or working and risking infection, that'd be a hard choice. I think I'd still take some time off. I'm lucky that I have the recommended two months living expenses ( and then some ) saved.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Surprisingly got declared as part of the essential work force as a skilled contractor, so we continue on. I’m an arborist and have been freaking out about getting shut down. Wasn’t sure if I would get paid or not if that was the case. If one of us got sick the company will take care of us, the whole (national and international) company getting shut down with no end date? They didn’t have a straight answer.

Reactions: ratfink

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Teach 1st grade. District has us going in/meeting remotely at end of month to be trained on next steps. Mix of online and packets made for pickup in K-2. Not trying to even guess, just waiting for orders. Trippy stuff! Thankful for employment that will continue through this event.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
I work from home anyway. The difference is that I won't be meeting with anyone, clients or colleagues, for a while. I regularly meet face to face with colleagues when working on a project, that is not happening, but it really is not a big deal. We do have zoom.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
So was Lowes this morning. Couldn't believe it really! checker said all the people staying at home are wanting to do home projects and are coming in. I was the only one with mask and gloves. It felt like a zombie video game, where everyone else was a walking dead to be and i was just trying to avoid them.THAT WAS MY LAST TIME OUT FOR A WHILE.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I do lots of work for essential services so I suppose I sorta can decide to stay at home or not.
Re: stores. I can find everything but TP and paper towels. I looked up the history of wiping and it was pretty grim. People wiped their asses with corn on the cob (a potential thread of its own), clay, bare handed with some water. More modern used newspaper, real wool cloth, then someone invented sheets of paper wipes which snowballed into softer tissue, rolls, splinter free (!!!!!), 2 ply, aloe injected, etc. I think the bidet was probably well ahead of its time.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I do lots of work for essential services so I suppose I sorta can decide to stay at home or not.
Re: stores. I can find everything but TP and paper towels. I looked up the history of wiping and it was pretty grim. People wiped their asses with corn on the cob (a potential thread of its own), clay, bare handed with some water. More modern used newspaper, real wool cloth, then someone invented sheets of paper wipes which snowballed into softer tissue, rolls, splinter free (!!!!!), 2 ply, aloe injected, etc. I think the bidet was probably well ahead of its time.
When I lived in Africa I learned which leaves worked and which didn't. Nothing worse than your finger pushing through the leaf as you're wiping. The preferred leaf was kind of tough but velvety. Charmin of the jungle.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Still get paid to write TV, just remotely with a few hours MWF on Zoom for the writers room. Only problem I ever had with this job was that it was in the wrong state, so thanks COVID 19 (unless I die).

West peak Sunset at dawn! Waves pumping tomorrow!