Who's working? Who's not?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Teacher. We're going to on-line learning after spring break. Kids won't be going back to school until fall.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I do faulty payroll. Working remotely to pay faculty members who now are teaching remotely.

I still do have to access the local business office to do stuff like check printing but it is scaled back to performing critical functions only.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Night maintenance for an aquaculture research facility. The tiki torches must stay lit (Gilligan's Island reference) or the animals die. If we get shut down there is no way we will ever open again. So far they haven't laid anyone off, even the landscapers and janitor.
My wife works for a tour company, she will start working reduced hours at home next week.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I do accept paper towel and toilet paper bribes...
It has been a challenge so far. Every day there is something new that has to be thought out and overcome.

I just passed my 15th year anniversary date doing this. When it is over, I am going to retire and move to Idaho. If I'm still alive. Found a bitchen piece of property in NE Idaho. On Thompson Creek, next to the Salmon river. 25 acres with a fairly new 2 bedroom home. $550,000.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Night maintenance for an aquaculture research facility. The tiki torches must stay lit (Gilligan's Island reference) or the animals die. If we get shut down there is no way we will ever open again. So far they haven't laid anyone off, even the landscapers and janitor.
My wife works for a tour company, she will start working reduced hours at home next week.
Following in Stinkeyes footsteps.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It has been a challenge so far. Every day there is something new that has to be thought out and overcome.

I just passed my 15th year anniversary date doing this. When it is over, I am going to retire and move to Idaho. If I'm still alive. Found a bitchen piece of property in NE Idaho. On Thompson Creek, next to the Salmon river. 25 acres with a fairly new 2 bedroom home. $550,000.
I am thinking about cashing out and retiring to the Rockies myself. Park City. Or maybe Hawaii. Or Vancouver. Or Costa Rica.

Reactions: Leaverite

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Burning expiring travel comp time last week and this week. 30 March I start working from home. My boss told me to expect to telecommute until the end of summer.

I'm surfing every day all summer at first light. Yew!

So many people are going to get laid off. It really sucks.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
25 percent pay cut retroactive to last Friday. But our business unit "will survive," albeit in greatly reduced form. Ah well...

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep

Nice find! Been up to north part of ID in summer/fall and it is beautiful.

How much do you like shoveling snow? Transplant to Central OR, and we've had 2 above normal snow winters in 5 years. Enough to decide, if we can, once retirement comes, walking on ice, shoveling snow, and 5-6 month winters may be less than ideal for my future old fart ass.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
I'm fvcked. Work in the entertainment/advertising business in photography. Luckily my wife is still working(from home). Maybe this is a good time for me to branch out of this soul-less job. The best part about it is the people I get to work with.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I make my students track all their grades and then they turn it into me at the end of the semester.

We do all the organizing in class and the students actually like it because they create this big organized portfolio. It's the craft part of the course.

I like it because I only have to enter their final grade at the end of the semester.

Now that we are teaching remotely they want us to enter grades online in case we die.

Holy fuck!

I been spending hours entering these fucking grades.

The students had to email me their essays and points so far and I had to print then off.

It's insane.

I like my way better.

A good teacher make the students work harder than s/he [works].

I'm not doing fucking zoom either.

It's funny how some people love that sh!t.

Not I.

I don't have a face made for digital vidieo.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Many of you know me on here irl. My business involves the selling of space in crowded trains and busy highways and urban centers. We are in a bit of crisis mode, but our industry has been around through it all, since the first caveman painted a sign outside his cavern offering whores or rotgut or salvation within. Or all three. We survived 9/11 when they said people would never trust a crowded train again, hurricane Sandy. Things are slow now, everyone waiting to see how it plays out, And a lot of (not all) people are locked down. So we lose a month or two of billing, maybe more. Much rather that then a true killer spreading around more than it already has. Hell up until March 12 I practically lived in the subway and work in a big crowded open nyc office. So yeah, busy as sh!t playing defense and shifting deals and renegotiations, all from home (good and bad) and believe or not even closing decent deals for Q2. rates will adjust to whatever the temporary or even new way of life for many Americans (like more remote work) may be. People will go out again. Maybe in just different ways. I work for a big enough player we have such a massive variety of assets to offer. Some things may shift. Trains get less expensive but we have tremendous demand on our roadside stuff and street level stuff, whatever. We are the “little media engine that could” as I was telling mom this morning. New sales hires may not have a job if this goes longer than a couple months. it’s tough for a lot of folks out there. the veterans can weather a downturn. I worry for so many others. Medically and financially. We have plenty of ass cash and grass , and a 3 month supply of good healthy varied food if supply chains really get ducked for bit. so team subway is good. me and my homies have to keep selling to keep thousands of people employed. Lotta pressure, but endless gratitude. And sh!t humble brag alert, even if this leads to a dramatic shift, long term, of people just rarely leaving home at all (depressing thought) I have the track record, network, and stacks of recruiters asking me to come sell digital. or I’ll just grab the wife, sell literally everything, and set up that self sufficient multi family compound in the far eat or South Pacific with the chosen few

BTW PPK my mom sends her love as does mrs subway of course