Who's working? Who's not?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Capt. Crozier immediate superior was onboard the same boat. The non-secure, unclassified email that he sent included at least “20 to 30” recipients in addition to the captain’s immediate chain of command. He wanted for the email to be leaked.
I don't know if his actions were necessary or not. Logically you would think that his command wouldn't let a bunch of sailors die needlessly but I know that logic often has little to do with military command.
This is the Navy we are talking about.

I've already heard from a few senior Officers that essentially say fuck CAPT Crozier and it is his job to steam with a sick ship. If sailors die then that is what they signed on for. I wish I was kidding.

I can guarantee you that CAPT Crozier tried all methods at his disposal before deciding to fall on his sword for his crew.

Reactions: huryanpost

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
He knew that by sending that email his career would be ruined. Going outside the chain of command is a huge no-no in 100% of militaries around the world.
He went outside the chain because the Navy is filled with Yes men that will fuck over anyone and everyone for the next promotion.

The rumors I've heard from people on the ship and decision makers in the Navy is the plan was to have the TR just keep steaming and let the virus run its course.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I just got notice of my "out date". I'll be working until May 12th. It's hard to complain about that. It's longer than I was expecting and about when I would have been winding down if Covid never happened. However the stress and uncertainty of finding the next job is completely different. In normal times I'd be booking travel and gearing up to play during hiatus. Now things are a lot more uncertain and I have no idea of what to expect about that next job.

Reactions: CutnSnip

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
This has gone on long enough now and enough damage has been done that I am going to guess that at least 25% of the people who got "Laid Off" as opposed to "furloughed" by their employers will not be asked to return even if the states ease their restrictions immediately. Their employers won't have the business to bring them back, won't have the money to bring them back, and will be fearful of lower upcoming revenues. Some may even use this as an opportunity to keep just the best members of the team and eliminate employees who were trouble or not team players.

A lot of people seem to think everything goes back to normal at their jobs the day the governors lift the restrictions. That's not going to happen. They think this is a vacation. A lot of people are going to be surprised and upset when the call to come back to work doesn't come or when they get the email from their employer that they can't bring them back. Its only going to get worse with each day the restrictions continue.

Reactions: CutnSnip

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
A lot of people seem to think everything goes back to normal at their jobs the day the governors lift the restrictions. That's not going to happen. They think this is a vacation. A lot of people are going to be surprised and upset when the call to come back to work doesn't come or when they get the email from their employer that they can't bring them back.
I don't think anyone thinks any of that.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I think you'd be surprised.
Those dumb-ass protesters sure think so. Boy will they be surprised.

For most sectors business will only trickle back. Some sectors have huge pent up demand but they will be the exceptions.

People on furlough will come back in stages and part time only, and things will very slowly come back as economic activity slowly increases and confidence returns. The fly in the ointment if people behave stupidly and we have a large spike in cases and deaths during the summer or fall. Confidence will tank, fear will jump, people will retreat back into hibernation, and the economy will fall right back into the crapper.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Surprisingly got declared as part of the essential work force as a skilled contractor, so we continue on. I’m an arborist and have been freaking out about getting shut down. Wasn’t sure if I would get paid or not if that was the case. If one of us got sick the company will take care of us, the whole (national and international) company getting shut down with no end date? They didn’t have a straight answer.
I'm an arborist (consulting/urban forestry) also, for a consulting company...tree work is essential for maintaining public safety...

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I'm an arborist (consulting/urban forestry) also, for a consulting company...tree work is essential for maintaining public safety...
Yep and case in point we had a pretty bad localized storm a week or so ago, we were able to respond to some significant storm damage work immediately.

how’d you get into the consulting? Did you go through production work? I’m climbing and PHC. Just got my ISA and will get TRAQ when all this blows over. Looks like I’m taking a part time position that’s consulting oriented as an inventory arborist. If I don’t eventually run my own company, long term wise I’d like to shift to a consulting arborist role.

greysuit

Michael Peterson status
Nov 16, 2006
My god..it's full of k00ks
I’ve been through a lot of changes in the last five years. Divorce, career change, and dealing with past demons. I’m lucky to be a teacher and have some job security in a very uncertain situation. I know many of you are dealing with the same situation and maybe kids who are confused and scared. All I know is we’ll make it out of this, things will probably be different but we will come out stronger and maybe a little more appreciative of those things we used to take for granted.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Clients are starting to come back (Digital Marketing consultant). I'm scaling back up with new clients as well.

In talking with clients (mostly retail), they've decided that they can't wait indefinitely and are going to start pushing online/phone orders/open by appointment/IG live shopping/etc. Being idle and waiting isn't going to work. I think the small biz loans going to huge companies was a sign to my clients - gov doesn't give a fook.

Reactions: greysuit

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Yep and case in point we had a pretty bad localized storm a week or so ago, we were able to respond to some significant storm damage work immediately.

how’d you get into the consulting? Did you go through production work? I’m climbing and PHC. Just got my ISA and will get TRAQ when all this blows over. Looks like I’m taking a part time position that’s consulting oriented as an inventory arborist. If I don’t eventually run my own company, long term wise I’d like to shift to a consulting arborist role.
I got into it kind of sideways...I was in the wholesale nursery business for 20 years, then when the economy crashed in 08-09 I had to kind of re-start my career...did a lot of field work, then did inventory for Davey, then worked for a tree company for 4 years, then this job came up 2 years ago...wish it happened 20 years ago...

Reactions: manbearpig