Who's moved from mainland to Hawaii (Kauai)

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Couple of guys I grew up with. Stratford Lord Whiting III. "Ford". Lived right below Diamondhead in Honolulu. His dad was an old time wrestler. Family had a retirement home for old Hawaiians. Ford had a separate house on the property. Vegetable gardens, with pakalolo planted in between.

When we were in college Ford used to get these awesome care packages from home. Crack seed, all of this sh!t a haole has never heard of. Plus a big bag of coffee grounds with Da Kine. His cousins would pack it. His Grandma would send it.

Nick Denser from Maui. Fvck even back then he had a two page spread, Aaron Chang of a wave at Pipe in Surfing Mag. 1979/1980? Triple overhead. It was an advertisement spread. "Get Surfing for Christmas".

How huge is that??? Live and learn. All good friends.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The reciprocity. Going to some killa weddings. Outrigger Canoe Club. Walk in like A Boss. Check out brand new longboards and go for a surf out at Old Mans right in front in July on a nice swell. Gekkos on the dining room ceiling. Carte Blanche on his grandpas tab.

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
Haha yeah Steak at Cal Poly I roomed with a guy who grew up haole in Kamuela on the Big Island - his dad was a big shot at Parker Ranch. Spoke thick pidgin and called himself "Keone." Everybody used to fawn over the guy because they thought he was some kind of exotic Hawaiian but we knew better. Used to get big bags of bud in the mail from his bros on the ranch:) I don't think he graduated.

Great surfer - surfed some big Central Coast sessions with him and was inspired by his cool demeanor on hairball days.
Haha, Sounds like Tucker? Maybe not though cause he went to Cuesta, but from Kamuela. Good times on the Cntral Coast...

Slabsplease

OTF status
Mar 5, 2015
Lived on the North Shore 11 winters in a row (Jan - Mar) and spent time there during summer swells too if it was worth a quick trip, haven't been back in 5 years. Was hassled twice in those 11 years (by white transplants that couldn't surf that well), I'm white. Met many locals/legends, won't mention names, but they were all welcoming, gained respect the proper way (yielding to others, waiting my turn, surfing early/late, surfing wind switches, surfing the outer reefs/more isolated spots, especially the sick spots of Mokuleia, etc). Surfed ALL of Oahu, really explored it. Learned a few tricks about many spots and swell directions. Always spoke to the lifeguards. Cherished times. West side the best side for everything in my opinion/experiences...Oahu is a GEM regardless of the humans.
There is racism, but like others mentioned, it's good for a white person to feel that, it develops you more as an individual/creates awareness. Some of the racism is ingrained into young kids there (like 3 years and up). Ever had a 5 year old call you a haole? Now where did they learn that...sh!t, I'd probably be the same way if I was born/raised in the islands. I feel fortunate to have surfed the waves I did during my visits. Give respect, get it back.

Reactions: PPK96754 and Kaido

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
Did the dude from big island dad by him a home on the Morro Bay strand? (late 80z early 90z)
Yeah, 89 and early 90s. Not sure if he had a house on strand. We lived in the same dorms for a semester then I moved to Shell. Only saw him at Canyon and parties occasionally.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah, 89 and early 90s. Not sure if he had a house on strand. We lived in the same dorms for a semester then I moved to Shell. Only saw him at Canyon and parties occasionally.
Did/do you know a Russell Goodrow I think he met dat guy from the dorms? Also the big island dude did rodeo for Cal Poly he roped cafz.

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
Did/do you know a Russell Goodrow I think he met dat guy from the dorms? Also the big island dude did rodeo for Cal Poly he roped cafz.
Don't know Russell but I am bad with names that far back. I think the guy you're talking about could be Ryan White. He is a pro roper from Kamuela and good surfer. Not sure, but I think he is still on the mainland these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Don't know Russell but I am bad with names that far back. I think the guy you're talking about could be Ryan White. He is a pro roper from Kamuela and good surfer. Not sure, but I think he is still on the mainland these days.
That is exactly right and I as well am bad with names but Ryan hung with my friend Russ and we surfed South jetty big, Sand Dollars, and killers and they took trips up North to Santa Cruz to visit me. That is rad he went pro heard he had skills but pro kool...

Reactions: Kaido

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Well, the number they gave is just not realistic to move a wife and 2 kids there and be comfortable. If I was single I’d jump on it. Seems like it’s more expensive than so cal. What would be your number to relocate your family there on one income?

Maybe for the best. That’s a huge move. If the numbers were right I’d jump at the chance and wife seemed on board. The company just isn’t being realistic I feel. I was upfront from the start that I have a family I’m bringing

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
They should raise their offer - they have to know living in Hawaii is expensive, living on a neighbour island is more expensive than O'ahu - #lowballers

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Well, the number they gave is just not realistic to move a wife and 2 kids there and be comfortable. If I was single I’d jump on it. Seems like it’s more expensive than so cal. What would be your number to relocate your family there on one income?

Maybe for the best. That’s a huge move. If the numbers were right I’d jump at the chance and wife seemed on board. The company just isn’t being realistic I feel. I was upfront from the start that I have a family I’m bringing
Why not just move elsewhere in CA?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
The money would be fine if I were single. I told them what I think I needed to support a family there. Haven’t heard back. If I’m relocating I’d rather make a big move than somewhere else crowded in ca. Wife’s family is in San Diego. That would make the most sense to move. We’re settled in here. Wife has her dream job.

• Sad
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Seems like it’s more expensive than so cal. What would be your number to relocate your family there on one income?
Everyone is different.

My buddy confided in me that he makes 130K a year and lives paycheck to paycheck since his wife is a SAHM and he has two young kids. Take that for what it is worth.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
They should raise their offer - they have to know living in Hawaii is expensive, living on a neighbour island is more expensive than O'ahu - #lowballers
That's how it works in Hawaii. Jobs pay less compared to the mainland because they know people will take it to live in Hawaii. Its also the reason why Fed and Gov't jobs are so sought after here.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Everyone is different.

My buddy confided in me that he makes 130K a year and lives paycheck to paycheck since his wife is a SAHM and he has two young kids. Take that for what it is worth.
I think it's like that everywhere. Everywhere near the beach, anyway.