Who's moved from mainland to Hawaii (Kauai)

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
"No one even cares if you’re a haole"

That would be nice if it were true, but it's not.

My mother came to Hawai'i in 1946. She was a haole schoolteacher on Maui for eight years, then on O'ahu.

Some pretty harrowing stories about being a single haole lady on Maui in the 1950's, the "Makawao Cowboys" and their macho bar fights and plantation days in Ka'anapali and Lahaina town : )

I have a few old snapshots of hers of a day trip picnic at Honolua Bay with school friends in December, 1948. Surf is six feet and offshore with no one out. She said they would walk out on the rocks to watch the waves, but there was never anyone surfing.

When we moved back to Hawaii in 1969 from Japan, she said it was too crowded - statehood ruined everything! :)

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
People care if you're an asshole.

If you are a haole, experience has shown a lot of Hawaiians that there is a high, high probability of you being an asshole.

Once it is revealed that you are not, in fact, an asshole, it's allllllll goooooooood.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
In my experience about 10% of human beings are assholes. That number does not vary for human beings of all skin colors, religions, genders, ethnicities, countries of origin, sexual preferences, whatever.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Maybe the World needs one place where caucasians experience racism? I'm not endorsing racism of any kind, but whiteys got it pretty good all around the World.

My father is pure Norwegian from Minnesota. Came here through the military after tours of Korea and Vietnam. Had hundreds of local friends and married a Hawaiian girl 20 years younger than him. Had the best times of his life here. Buried here.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
My grandpa was same way. A 6’5 white guy from the PNW.

Married a local and had 5 kids.

He NEVER had problems with anyone cause he was polite and friendly. He even lived in Puna for a long time in the 90s when it was a very rough place and didn’t have trouble there either.

Some people just cannot figure it out and get themselves into trouble

Reactions: jamesgang

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I found being friendly helps a lot.

Surfing a new break? Say hi to people. Don't be a wound up agro asshole and you'll be fine. Same with everything else in Hawaii. Be friendly and polite. The people here are the friendliest people around. Some people figure it out and some don't. But, in my experience, it has nothing to do with your skin tone.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
My parents moved from Canada in 64' and are still there. Dad started a business in a industry mostly filled with locals and was in it for 40+ years and has actually become more like an old local Japanese man then some actual old local Japanese men I knew.

I think that Hawaii is a place where it does matter what race you are. And that is an awesome thing. It creates social awareness, it creates an appreciation for other cultures, it teaches you to respect others even before you know them, and it teaches you to be humble and not a loud mouth jerk. Like racer said, being a white male is kind of a winning ticket in the genetic lottery on the planet. I feel like I am a much better person because of the torment I received as a little haole kid and a grown haole man on Oahu, from the beach to parties to certain industries that were dominated/controlled by local Japanese, Chinese, Filipinos, Hawaiians. Samoans, Tongans, etc... It makes you realize that being treated poorly because of the color of your skin or culture you belong to is lame.

Like it has been said, it was rare that being a haole got you tuned up/slapped around, but being an asshole would get you a deserved pummeling most of the time.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Maybe the World needs one place where caucasians experience racism? I'm not endorsing racism of any kind, but whiteys got it pretty good all around the World.
I've experienced xenophobia everywhere I traveled. I notice it's worse if you are alone. I've walked into villages and its like, "the Chief doesn't like you. You have to go."

Other places, it's like, "You're here! We've been waiting for you!"

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
afoaf says come up there to see you. I say mo betteh you wen stay hea.
you just don't want to go anywhere, you goat.

PPK, are you coming through Los Angeles?

I've got some extra swim fins if you want to go for a swim or jump off a pier for old times sake.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

corndog

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2004
Nicest part is to visit your uncle at Makaha and spend more time talking story than surfing. He gets here to Carlsbad and same thing except he steals ALL the blankets freezes to death and just for a good couple gags.... i turn on the AC
ahhh hahaha

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
you just don't want to go anywhere, you goat.

PPK, are you coming through Los Angeles?

I've got some extra swim fins if you want to go for a swim or jump off a pier for old times sake.
I got with John Teague and Mike McIntyre last night on Loma Dr. with Friends.Tequila, beers and da kine ... lucky I didn't fall off the stool ~
Off to a paddleout at Doheny after the Velzy luau this afternoon.
I don't have your ph # brah ... next time around ......

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
I got with John Teague and Mike McIntyre last night on Loma Dr. with Friends.Tequila, beers and da kine ... lucky I didn't fall off the stool ~
Off to a paddleout at Doheny after the Velzy luau this afternoon.
I don't have your ph # brah ... next time around ......
Still suckin' 'em up you legend... Have fun!

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
lived on the North Shore 3 winters early 90s never wanted to stay though long term island living not for me. kauai more tolerable but wouldnt think of it long term today will be another paradise spoilt.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Going to college I met up with a lot of transplant Hawaiian guys who were tossed on the mainland for the first time. Menlo College which had a pipeline of admissions with Punahou.

It was a good mix. We showed them the ropes about surfing around here in the cold water and got to learn a lot of the necessary etiquette to not be a total idiot when we visited the islands. Plus having a group of friends already on hand there when we visited that had some cred.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Haha yeah Steak at Cal Poly I roomed with a guy who grew up haole in Kamuela on the Big Island - his dad was a big shot at Parker Ranch. Spoke thick pidgin and called himself "Keone." Everybody used to fawn over the guy because they thought he was some kind of exotic Hawaiian but we knew better. Used to get big bags of bud in the mail from his bros on the ranch:) I don't think he graduated.

Great surfer - surfed some big Central Coast sessions with him and was inspired by his cool demeanor on hairball days.