Who's been on a Mentawai's boat trip??

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
What did you like? What did you hate? Would you go again?

About to reserve a boat for group of 10 for summer 2020. Group consists of my friends and some of our 16 year old sons.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Drumsurf said:
What did you like? What did you hate? Would you go again?

About to reserve a boat for group of 10 for summer 2020. Group consists of my friends and some of our 16 year old sons.
Never been but imagine if 10 went out at reef I would be pretty bummed even if friends.....

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Really? That's the least of my worries. Indo is crowded. San Diego is crowded. Everywhere is crowded. At least our crowd will be friends and won't hassle each other. Assuming of course we can find spots without a ton of other boats or land camp surfers on them. Which is no guarantee.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Drumsurf said:
Really? That's the least of my worries. Indo is crowded. San Diego is crowded. Everywhere is crowded. At least our crowd will be friends and won't hassle each other. Assuming of course we can find spots without a ton of other boats or land camp surfers on them. Which is no guarantee.
Yes crowded but when I do make it to Indo if I do I well not be bringing my own crowd and most likely traveling with wife and be surfing solo :shrug: I would imagine boat travel is not cheap but if I could not.afford going with 4 max I would do land but I hate crowds and worse bring your own brazzo style trips :foreheadslap:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
The mentawis has the best waves in the world. Going from break to break, trolling for fish, eating good food and drinking Bintangs, pulling up to barreling waves. There’s nothing bad about it.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Drumsurf said:
What did you like?
What did you hate?
Would you go again?
Easy to answer:

* Everything
* Nothing
* Yes

As for '10 people', it's better that you bring friends with, boats generally are filled anyway, so there's always people coming with. Depends on how good the skipper and guide is, you can still find spots to yourselves. Also, generally there are frothers and those who take it easier, so not everyone's always in at the same time. Added benefit if you al play by the 'indo priority rule'.

Indo priority rule we played, is that you take TURNS, not just who sits deepest get it. If it's your turn next, you paddle for it, regardless if you are deepest or not. If you paddle for it and don't make it, you lost priority. If a wave comes and it's your turn and you don't want it, you raise your hands for the second in line to go for it.

Reactions: Aardwolf

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Nice. That’s what I like to hear. We will have the whole boat for our crew. Don’t want to deal with a random guy or two.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
long, long days.

everyone will find their own rhythm, not always all out at the same time.

put a 6-8hr session in, or a heap of shorter sessions.

crowds come and go.

if it's barrelling you'll get yours if you know how to do it.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
If it's barrelling, you'll get yours even if you don't know how to :D
I grew up surfing only my front side, and mainly only on single point break... so going left was (and still is), a bit of a challenge for me, particularly getting barreled on my backhand I find very hard.

So if I could somehow manage to sneak a few backhand barrels, anyone can score in the Ments! :)

Just;
* Never ever straighten out
* Never pull back
* Jump onto the whitewash / spread yourself flat if sh!t hits the fan :D

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Can be epic as long as everyone is in agreement on the type of waves you want to ride. I went back in '05 and we scored everyday but one and the one day that is was small we needed the break anyways. Also make sure your captain/guide will run you down to the Hole and Greenbush, etc... and not just stick around the Playgrounds area. I am saving up to bring my son in 2021.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
npsp said:
Can be epic as long as everyone is in agreement on the type of waves you want to ride. I went back in '05 and we scored everyday but one and the one day that is was small we needed the break anyways. Also make sure your captain/guide will run you down to the Hole and Greenbush, etc... and not just stick around the Playgrounds area. I am saving up to bring my son in 2021.
The bush scares me!
We got down to the hole, but it was flat. Thunders is the furthest South that we scored, and is certainly one of my favourites (i tend to say that about all the spots haha)

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Holy Sit...

Those kids are going to be stoked out of their heads.

Don’t listen to the riff raff about showing up with 5 groms and you all paddle out together...Do It!

Your kids rip and they are going to be blown away. First the airline ride and transfers,to seeing their first flying fish. Then they’re going to trip on how the hell does a wave wrap into this reef from a almost 180 degree away.

Only advice is to get on a boat with separate cabins. 10 of you in those open cabinheads would sorta suck..for you.

Enjoy.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
My advice
>Make sure your surf guide is legit.
>break the habit of pushing off the bottom or touching bottom at all with your feet after a bail or any other time.
>avoid layovers on the flight
>pay the photographer on the boat to get pics, it will be very worth it
>be prepared to deal with brazzos, stand your ground and hold firm when its your turn. dont be afraid to yell. or call someone off who is deeper than you when its your turn.
>dont do marathon sessions, go for 1-2 hour sessions, unless the conditions are too good not to.
>bring extra fin screws

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Waxfoot said:
Drumsurf said:
What did you like?

Indo priority rule we played, is that you take TURNS, not just who sits deepest get it. If it's your turn next, you paddle for it, regardless if you are deepest or not. If you paddle for it and don't make it, you lost priority. If a wave comes and it's your turn and you don't want it, you raise your hands for the second in line to go for it.
this

also as someone stated above - go w people who want to surf same waves as you do

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Ive been twice. Once in June and once in October. The October trip was far better for crowds and the waves we got were about the same. I went on the same boat, D'Bora, both times so I cant really compare different boats. I did like the crew and the full speedboat tender that particular boat had to offer though. I have a friend who's been a couple times on the Addiction (think full on Bayliner boat vs Indo Wooden boat), and it sounded pretty great and fast for getting from spot to spot (though about twice as expensive). There were 10 guys on our boat and it wasnt a problem. IMHO your biggest problem will be the abundance of other boats with10 guys. Best way to fix this is to go off season if you can - though with groms you'd have to pull them from school for a few weeks - might not be ideal. Like others have said - you can time your surfs to help with the crowds also.
Stoked for you! Have fun!

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Also - Check with people that have actually been on the boat youre considering. There were some guys we talked to on other boats who were pretty bummed at the food on their boat, or really lack thereof. The captains answer was for them to catch more fish. All kinds of characters out there. D'Bora was great for food and Addiction was good also from what I heard from my pal. I'd also try to find a boat with a large shaded outdoor space to hang out on, rest and watch your friends get waves. There is a lot of downtime out there while your body is recuperating. Its nice to hang out in the shade.

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
my first thought is it was effin crowded in september and wouldnt go back. went on the melaluecca there was brazzo boats, saffa boats, etc blah blah. insta crowds anytime a new boat shows up. even your boat. 12 guys just like that, but if you know them all and you take turns, it could be a completely diff killer experience.

its all about sharing and the right attitude and your pace. Not sure how you are going to figure out who the skippers are or if they are good or not? good lukk