Who would you sponsor?

Jul 18, 2019
You have a surfboard and clothing brand with a $600 million valuation and must sponsor 5 men and 5 women surfers and each contract must be anywhere from 5-10 years.

Name the surfers on your team, and how much they’ll get paid per year and for how many years. The only rule is you must sponsor 5 women, 5 men, for 5-10 years (all can be 5y, 10y or any combination of 5y 7y 8y etc). Not 8 men and 2 women or not sponsoring anyone.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
You have a surfboard and clothing brand with a $600 million valuation and must sponsor 5 men and 5 women surfers and each contract must be anywhere from 5-10 years.

Name the surfers on your team, and how much they’ll get paid per year and for how many years. The only rule is you must sponsor 5 women, 5 men, for 5-10 years (all can be 5y, 10y or any combination of 5y 7y 8y etc). Not 8 men and 2 women or not sponsoring anyone.
have you thought about gamifying the selection of your sponsees? some sort of social media based contest where people show off pics off themselves surfing and exhibiting various other aspects of their uber-coolness? winner determined half by analytics data and half by erbb vote on surfing skills. no pros allowed to enter contest. winners of the contest get sponsorship. and the contest to determine the winner has the oh-so-salubrious side effect of generating a bunch of awareness for the clothing brand.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
MEN:
1. Rafael “Nono” Pereira - $80k
2. Sebastian Williams - $80k
3. Lucas Owens - $80k
4. Timmy Reyes - $80k
5. Kelly Slater - $100k

WOMEN:
1. Stephanie Gilmore - $100k
2. Alyssa Spencer - $80k
3. Caity Simmer - $100k
4. Sierra Kerr -- $80k
5. Bethany Hamilton - $100k

All athletes would have 5 year contracts with incentives based on CT or QS results, and social media posts based on likes/shares/reposts. All contracts would include 1 clothing-line per year (summer, spring, winter or fall) that would focus exclusively on the athlete.

Not included in the question... but if the athlete agrees to the above compensation I would also agree to a budget for a movie to help with exposure of the athletes. 1 movie per 5 year contract.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
MEN:
1. Rafael “Nono” Pereira - $80k
2. Sebastian Williams - $80k
3. Lucas Owens - $80k
4. Timmy Reyes - $80k
5. Kelly Slater - $100k

WOMEN:
1. Stephanie Gilmore - $100k
2. Alyssa Spencer - $80k
3. Caity Simmer - $100k
4. Sierra Kerr -- $80k
5. Bethany Hamilton - $100k

All athletes would have 5 year contracts with incentives based on CT or QS results, and social media posts based on likes/shares/reposts. All contracts would include 1 clothing-line per year (summer, spring, winter or fall) that would focus exclusively on the athlete.

Not included in the question... but if the athlete agrees to the above compensation I would also agree to a budget for a movie to help with exposure of the athletes. 1 movie per 5 year contract.
Here's how I would advise private equity sitting on $600 million to launch/nurture a core surf brand.
Men
1. Gabriel Medina
2. Felipe Toledo
3. Italo Ferreira
4-5. More Brazzos

Women
1. Sasha Jane Lowerson
2. Sasha Jane Lowerson.
3. Sasha Jane Lowerson
4. Sasha Jane Lowerson
5. Sasha Jane Lowerson

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Donavon Frankenrieter, Clay Marzo, seven of my sexiest friends whether they surf competently or not, and the last spot for the hottest trans woman you’ve ever seen, just for the “stringcheese’s billion dollar surf brand: done?”

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: ReForest and PRCD

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
I would go on a talent search and try to find the talent to recreate the early ...Lost days. In order to make the team, one must be able to chug a pitcher at the drop of a hat, rip the bong and do a strikeout when asked to do so, and rip a variety of waves on the East, West and Gulf coasts while under the influence. I probably would't pay them much.

• Love
Reactions: ReForest

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Option 1. May 3rd-12th I'd go to the ISA Junior Worlds. From there I'd go to the Boardriders National Finals May 16th. From there I would go to the NSSA National events a couple of weeks later in June.....the interschoolastic, airshow and National Finals that all happen in June. I'd be focusing on the best under 20yo regional talent I could find.

Option 2. Talk to the owners of the key shops in each region who support your brand and ask them who their most talented young team rider is who isn't an asshole.

• Dislike
Reactions: PRCD

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Men

1. mike_jones
2. schex
3. groms_dad
4. gbg
5. either nep or disco tex - coin toss

women

Top 4 chicks on the 'CT and Aleesa Vincent