Who Remembers Frankie Olberholzer?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Major influence on me growing up. Such amazing style. Looks like he's living a great life. Crazy how his son surfs like him.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Major influence on me growing up. Such amazing style. Looks like he's living a great life. Crazy how his son surfs like him.
Me too - growing up in South Africa, he was a big deal for many of us. A mate also somehow came into possession of one of his boards (not shaped by him, it was a Peter Daniels board), which to this day lives in memory as the greatest surfboard ever shaped (it was a HPSB, but with the wide point ever so slighly forward, and a bit of a fuller nose, which is commonplace these days, but in the 90's it was unheard of)

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Me too - growing up in South Africa, he was a big deal for many of us. A mate also somehow came into possession of one of his boards (not shaped by him, it was a Peter Daniels board), which to this day lives in memory as the greatest surfboard ever shaped (it was a HPSB, but with the wide point ever so slighly forward, and a bit of a fuller nose, which is commonplace these days, but in the 90's it was unheard of)

waxfoot are you ninja from die antwoord?

Reactions: waxfoot and Aruka

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
waxfoot are you ninja from die antwoord?
Nah Bru, you have me mistaken... I'm DJ Hi Tech (Leon Botha - the DJ with Progeria in the background). I'm still alive, because they infused my DNA with Benjamin Button's.

Pros: I'll now live forever
Cons: I look like a scrotum

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Word.
Was a big fan of all The Search crew bitd. Boris Letexier anyone?

Crazy how bad most 90s boards sucked. You see this one yet?

Last edited:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
good to see he didnt get fat or go retro
still ripping modern shortboards with no arm flailing

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
good to see he didnt get fat or go retro
still ripping modern shortboards with no arm flailing
I agree about the getting fat and arm flailing but there’s nothing wrong with retro when done right. I.e. Joel Fitzgerald

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Nice find. He was incredibly stylish in those Search videos. Wonder if we'll see his kid surfing outside of SA in the next few years.

Reactions: Chocki