Who have thunk?

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Shows that a rising tide will erode bedrock. If the people lead, the leaders will follow.

Reactions: mundus

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Because most of the recreational states (other than Alaska) are pretty left-leaning, and the leaders of the charge at the state level were left-leaning?

There’s too much here for me to go into but I’ll just say this….
….look at how the left leaning states “legalized” weed.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Map is out of date
Okay, are there now more "red" states than "blue" states with with recreational?

The South Carolina GOP does not appear to be on board.

I think she's pissing people off. I agree with Federal decriminalization. But I don't think the Southern/Plains GOP and Mountain West GOP are totally the same people.

There’s too much here for me to go into but I’ll just say this….
….look at how the left leaning states “legalized” weed.
At the ballot box, letting the voters decide?

Is the takeaway that it was put to a vote instead of being advanced as legislation??

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Okay, are there now more "red" states than "blue" states with with recreational?

I think she's pissing people off. I agree with Federal decriminalization. But I don't think the Southern/Plains GOP and Mountain West GOP are totally the same people.

Is the takeaway that it was put to a vote instead of being advanced as legislation??
Look at states where cigarette taxes went through the roof (and subsequently cigarette smoking went way down).

At a certain level of taxation these states reached a point of diminishing returns. Tax cigarettes, make money, spend money on (among other things) programs to get people to quit smoking (creating a cottage industry in the process).

People quit, revenue drops. Raise the tax rate on cigs. More people quit, revenue drops. Rinse and repeat.

Reach the point where you’ve taxed the product too much, too few smokers and revenue is now on an irreversible downward spiral. But governments became addicted (see what I did there?) to that money so what to do, what to do?

Legalize (and tax the living sh!t out of) weed. Problem solved.

This has always been and will always be about revenue to a never satiated government.

Weed should be legal and completely regulation/taxation free.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Look at states where cigarette taxes went through the roof (and subsequently cigarette smoking went way down).

At a certain level of taxation these states reached a point of diminishing returns. Tax cigarettes, make money, spend money on (among other things) programs to get people to quit smoking (creating a cottage industry in the process).

People quit, revenue drops. Raise the tax rate on cigs. More people quit, revenue drops. Rinse and repeat.

Reach the point where you’ve taxed the product too much, too few smokers and revenue is now on an irreversible downward spiral. But governments became addicted (see what I did there?) to that money so what to do, what to do?

This has always been and will always be about revenue to a never satiated government.

The taxes and rules for legal weed cultivation in some areas are so cumbersome that most of the mom n pop growers have dropped out, or they sell into the black and grey markets. Mostly deep pocketed investors at this point.

How . . . . Unusual.

Reactions: Driftcoast

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The taxes and rules for legal weed cultivation in some areas are so cumbersome that most of the mom n pop growers have dropped out, or they sell into the black and grey markets. Mostly deep pocketed investors at this point.

How . . . . Unusual.
One of the shops here (i think there are only 2 in SB) was just bought by JayZ for about $60 million.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

It makes sense not that the Democratic Party has become the Hall Monitoring Karen's of the political world. To think this was once the party of freedom.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Mace's bill proposes a tax as well.

Regarding taxation of cigarettes, lots of that is voter-approved. Nobody wants to pay taxes, but the only thing they seem to want less is their Social Security/Medicare/VA/Military (this list could be endless) getting a spending haircut.

Also, the point of taxing cigarettes is to discourage the behavior so I don't have to smell as much of it. Definitely something I don't miss, at all, about the 80s/90s.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

How . . . . Unusual.
Oklahoma has lax laws and now people are complaining because rando Chinese people are buying their lands and their realtors won't tell them to go be Chinese somewhere else because that's illegal.

It makes sense not that the Democratic Party has become the Hall Monitoring Karen's of the political world. To think this was once the party of freedom.
LMAO you want to bet on the House vote, which party throws down more yeas if it is actually taken up?

It's amusing how my perception of Republicans is retarded Baptists and yours is Western Libertarians.

Reactions: grapedrink