Who had that Bitcoin target price prediction?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
There goes $2 billion?

Mircea Popescu, a controversial figure in the world of crypto, boasted one of the single-biggest bitcoin fortunes and his amassed wealth in digital assets may be lost to the ether after his untimely death last month, some speculate.

Popescu reportedly died off the coast of Costa Rica. Local news reports say he was “swept away by the current and died on the spot,” during a morning swim in Playa Hermosa de Garabito, Puntarenas.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
There goes $2 billion?

Mircea Popescu, a controversial figure in the world of crypto, boasted one of the single-biggest bitcoin fortunes and his amassed wealth in digital assets may be lost to the ether after his untimely death last month, some speculate.

Popescu reportedly died off the coast of Costa Rica. Local news reports say he was “swept away by the current and died on the spot,” during a morning swim in Playa Hermosa de Garabito, Puntarenas.
tough one for the killer
move the coins, people start asking questions.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
There goes $2 billion?

I'm glad that the ocean is always willing to take a life,
for free!

• Haha
Reactions: Your Moms Dildo

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Cashed out at a peak, think I'm over this crypto carp game, going to put my money where it will do some good.

Getting my solar water heater replaced. .

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Still waiting for a drop into the 20s. A good start last night.

Pisses me off Kraken no longer offers margin trading for the little guy due to regulatory crap. Must have minimum $10m in your account now. I think the only margin trading options left for US traders are Kukoin (Singapore) and Coinex (Hong Kong).

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Still waiting for a drop into the 20s. A good start last night.

Pisses me off Kraken no longer offers margin trading for the little guy due to regulatory crap. Must have minimum $10m in your account now. I think the only margin trading options left for US traders are Kukoin (Singapore) and Coinex (Hong Kong).
????

Do you mean someone with $100k in the account can't leverage $10k and risk getting wiped out by the trading platform the instant losses pass $99.999K, or do you mean someone with $10k in their account can't leverage $10k?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
????

Do you mean someone with $100k in the account can't leverage $10k and risk getting wiped out by the trading platform the instant losses pass $99.999K, or do you mean someone with $10k in their account can't leverage $10k?
You can't play margin at all. Kraken was the only exchange offering margin in the US (2x to 5x). But recently they changed the eligibility requirements.

For U.S. clients to be eligible for margin trading on Kraken, they will need to self-certify as an Eligible Contract Participant (ECP) as defined under U.S. law (Section 1a(18) of the Commodity Exchange Act).

For individual clients -- You are required to have more than $10 million in assets invested on a discretionary basis.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You can't play margin at all. Kraken was the only exchange offering margin in the US (2x to 5x). But recently they changed the eligibility requirements.

For U.S. clients to be eligible for margin trading on Kraken, they will need to self-certify as an Eligible Contract Participant (ECP) as defined under U.S. law (Section 1a(18) of the Commodity Exchange Act).

For individual clients -- You are required to have more than $10 million in assets invested on a discretionary basis.
Right, but what was the status previously?

Essentially, what I am getting at is, was leveraged margin gambling where you can lose more than you're worth previously possible? If so, good move Kraken, f--k the collateral damage. Otherwise, I feel your pain.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Right, but what was the status previously?

Essentially, what I am getting at is, was leveraged margin gambling where you can lose more than you're worth previously possible? If so, good move Kraken, f--k the collateral damage. Otherwise, I feel your pain.
Previously, if you had a kraken account and were verified (kyc), you could margin trade even with a few dollars in your account.

And yes, you could end up owing them money. Never happened to me as I was super careful when it came to trading with leverage, but many have reported getting liquidated and negative amount in their accounts.

There are multiple lawsuits against them over flash-crash liquidations, which seemed to happen a lot on their exchange. Probably the real reason why they ended margin.

lruc

OTF status
Nov 10, 2016
The peak of 60 odd to current prices wiped out 500,000 bitcoin accounts, at the peak there were 1 mil bitcoin players.

Reactions: r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
The peak of 60 odd to current prices wiped out 500,000 bitcoin accounts, at the peak there were 1 mil bitcoin players.
That's a lot of money moving from the poor to the wealthy. Playing with leverage is a dangerous game that very few people win at.

lruc

OTF status
Nov 10, 2016
100 TO 1 leverage in the eastern trading houses is mind blowing . Borrowing bitcoins and paying account holders 5 to 8 percent weekly looks very Bernie Madoff ish inmho.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Just YOLO a couple of trades and get that account up to $10m status. :cool: