Who had that Bitcoin target price prediction?

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I don't know if he was the creator, but he's been posting PEPE non-stop since pretty much the inception.

Still think PEPE could have a SHIB type run in the future. Remember when Vitalik dumped it and what happened after?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I don't know if he was the creator, but he's been posting PEPE non-stop since pretty much the inception.

Still think PEPE could have a SHIB type run in the future. Remember when Vitalik dumped it and what happened after?
Anything possible in this crazy whacko market. I sold most of my PEPE bag but holding on to some incase of a DOGE/SHIB like run to drop some zeros.

Reactions: bird.LA

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
for those who keep their crypto in a cold wallet (and technically, that should be everybody, right?), this just popped up on Reddit regarding the Nano, probably the #1 selling hardware wallet. it's enough to make me look for a new one - can anyone recommend a hardware wallet that's not a Nano?

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Ledger got hammered today on social. They might be done after this boondoggle.

Hodlers should probably switch to Trezor, SafePal or something else. @sussle

I've only used Ledger before. Haven't tried Trezor but I believe it has same problem Ledger has in that it's possible they could put in a backdoor. However, Ledger can connect directly to your phone and Trezor can't. So with Trezor, I believe someone would need the actual device to steal your coins. Don't quote me on this.

Or this place some guys use. I've not used it so nothing to report.

Last edited:
Reactions: sussle

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Ledger got hammered today on social. They might be done after this boondoggle.

Hodlers should probably switch to Trezor or something else. @sussle
Ledger should be done - they just blew up their business model and screwed their customer base by taking away the one reason everybody buys a Ledger. can't imagine what they were thinking by creating a back door.

But there's not a lot of choices out there and there's more than just storage requirements to consider: if you're a hodler like me, the wallet has to play well with defi apps, yield farms, liquidity pools, governance commitments etc etc. Ledger had all that sh!t worked out, which is no small thing.

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Ledger should be done - they just blew up their business model and screwed their customer base by taking away the one reason everybody buys a Ledger. can't imagine what they were thinking.

But there's not a lot of choices out there and there's more than just storage requirements to consider: if you're a hodler like me, the wallet has to play well with defi apps, yield farms, liquidity pools, governance commitments etc etc. Ledger had all that sh!t worked out, which is no small thing.
Agreed on all points. Ledger did that sh!t all figured out. Almost no other options in the game besides SafePal.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I've only used Ledger before. Haven't tried Trezor but I believe it has same problem Ledger has in that it's possible they could put in a backdoor
absolutely possible, but the Trezor folks appear to be doing everything right to make sure that does not happen. i've never heard of a Trezor getting cracked; so, for 99.9% of the folks out there i'd say the weak link is not going to be Trezor, but how you store your physical device, PIN, and seedphrase (aka "key").

key management is hard to do right - so i pretty much never recommend self-custody for large amounts of crypto.
So with Trezor, I believe someone would need the actual device to steal your coins.
if i can get your Trezor device, and that's all i can get from you, then your coins are safe.

if i can get your device and your PIN then i own your coin. but this means you did something dumb with your pin like writing it down somewhere. i cannot do a brute force attack (or anything else) against your device to discover your PIN

if i can get the seed phrase you used to configure the physical device, then i own your coin. i don't need your device or your PIN. i just grab another device and reset it with your seed phrase and set whatever PIN i want. but, this means you did something dumb with your seed phrase. like putting it somewhere other than a safe or a safe deposit box. i cannot do a brute force attack (or anything else) against your device to discover your seed phrase.

Last edited:
Reactions: r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
absolutely possible, but the Trezor folks appear to be doing everything right to make sure that does not happen. i've never heard of a Trezor getting cracked; so, for 99.9% of the folks out there i'd say the weak link is not going to be Trezor, but how you store your physical device, PIN, and seedphrase (aka "key"). key management is hard to do right - so i pretty much never recommend self-custody for large amounts of crypto.

if i can get your Trezor device, and that's all i can get from you, then your coins are safe.

if i can get your device and your PIN then i own your coin. but this means you did something dumb with your pin like writing it down somewhere. i cannot do a brute force attack (or anything else) against your device to discover your PIN

if i can get the seed phrase you used to configure the physical device, then i own your coin. i don't need your device or your PIN. i just grab another device and reset it with your seed phrase
solid info. thx!

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
i'm looking forward to digging into the ledger debacle. at first glance i'm sort of surprised.

they've been super solid in the past.
they seem kind of tone deaf. what they are pitching as a feature - a seed recovery option - is being regarded by virtually everybody else as a bug, because the option involves sending encrypted fragments of your seed phrase elsewhere, ostensibly for retrieval, as needed. it's a vulnerability any way you slice it - everybody buys a Ledger device with the understanding it doesn't comunicate with anything but Ledger - and malicious actors will be working hard to figure out how to take advantage of it.