Who else has convinced themselves they need a new board during this Covid-19 downtime?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

Check Nick Carroll's review on Beachgrit of his 10-channel Phil Myers single.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
It’s like everyone has convinced themselves
they need new boards. Orders everywhere. I’m
seeing a lot of guys ordering 2-3 at a time. Shops I haven’t heard from in years are begging for boards. And the waves have been sucking pretty hard.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
That board I bought had a really well done proffesional ding repair on deck, but there's these cracks that 100 percent look like razor marks in the glass, may havbe happened insticker, pad removal? ding prep or in packaging but its two long lines parralel. They barely catch my fingernail so i'm probably going to resin over them but bizarre.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
As someone who has spent a lot of time surfing single fin short boards, yes.
I never had a session on one where I didn’t have fun, felt frustrated, etc.
Just like Steph G describes in the Parmenter vid, if I had to assign one characteristic to them they’re neutral in that they only go where/do what you want. If I had to pick one, Parm just like he made Steph glassed heavy but if you look at the Ando Apache other than the lack of channels they’re extremely similar so as long as they follow the template 6’6”x… you’re gonna get a pretty rad board from any reputable shaper that understands the design.

They’re insanely versatile. I guarantee you can surf the same one from waist to Teahupo’o ala Ando. All that foam let’s you get in really early/roll in as Ando says. They paddle like a dream and nobody thinks you’re on a crutch lol.

They’re capable of imo going faster than any other design down the line (Terry Fitz).

Surfing centered to forward on short board is soooo fun. That’s why Knost does it all the time. Know that I think about it Ima have him make me one. I went full Team Knost when he couldn’t keep all four boards standing up at once in the Handmade 2 vid.

Finally they’re capable of way more than you think. Smoking a bunch of weed and listening to music like this

got me thinking what I could do with mine (think lime green vintage Apache). End of story is frontside squared up really hard off the bottom and did a legit totally rad floater including sticking the landing on a head high wave.

Same experiment conducted a long time ago in Dominical CR on a vintage Nectar twin my bro would let take from the rental fleet. Did a backside grab rail bottom turn that was so gnarly it whiplashed my neck for a second.

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
So those marks i was looking at are 100% razor scratches not pressure cracks.
Do you think I need to suncure them? Catches Finger nail

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Check Nick Carroll's review on Beachgrit of his 10-channel Phil Myers single.

“Once you’ve got one, everyone’ll want one,” he said, “and then I’ll be fucked!”
Then AB died for chrissake.

I can add real info on all of this - I have no agenda -

Mar 19, 2013
Just got my Strecth 2win custom. Ordered it July 1 and showed up today. Feels good under arm and looks great, unfortunately damaged during shipping. Super bummed. Most I have ever paid for a board by far. Have a little wave this weekend but board won't be usable. The nose is broken, nothing huge but needs repair for sure. Got a little color in the board so it make sure it even worse. Only second custom ever shipped to me, never dealt with this before. Has anyone had this happen, I'm sure many? Will I receive any reimbursement from shipper/shaper/insurance, or is this a lost cause.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That is such a bummer. After 30+ years surfing, I've had my first 2 boards shipped this year and was so relieved both came w/o a scratch.
Talk to Stretch first. If it was insured properly, he (or the carrier) should reimburse for the ding repair & color match.

Reactions: paunch23

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Just got my Strecth 2win custom. Ordered it July 1 and showed up today. Feels good under arm and looks great, unfortunately damaged during shipping. Super bummed. Most I have ever paid for a board by far. Have a little wave this weekend but board won't be usable. The nose is broken, nothing huge but needs repair for sure. Got a little color in the board so it make sure it even worse. Only second custom ever shipped to me, never dealt with this before. Has anyone had this happen, I'm sure many? Will I receive any reimbursement from shipper/shaper/insurance, or is this a lost cause.
I would definitely hit Stretch up. Take pics of the board/packaging. They will probably ask for that if they are going to file an insurance claim. They should definitely cover the cost of a professional repair or offer you some other form of reimbursement.

Reactions: redrider

redrider

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 8, 2010
Shadowed by Catalina
Visit site
Finally picked them up and got one wet today.

the Twin is ridiculously easy to ride - I easily doubled my wave count today at a notoriously crowded spot (RJs).

Here they are:

Attachments