Who else has convinced themselves they need a new board during this Covid-19 downtime?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Damn. I don't know where this guy came from before last year, but he's gonna sell a lot of boards for Album. Looks like a blast. I'd rather watch him surf these twins than anything 80% of the tour guys do.

Reactions: johnson7 and Bman76

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
What are erbb thoughts on narrower fish like 5’5” / 20”

I could go super short and wider but I feel like maybe slightly longer and slightly narrower is mo better

May 10, 2018
I got a new Black Box 3 Hyfi last week after snapping my PU one. I also currently have a JS MonstaBox round and a Pyzel Ghost and have had two JS black box 2s in the past (all in PU). I like JS boards but this new one is my first Hyfi.

I was skeptical about the hyfi (the price was good so I gave it a try) and haven't bought an eps / epoxy for about 8 years but this feels unreal. I don't know if it's just the lightness of the board but it has an extra squirt when I get to my feet and is very responsive for turns. It doesn't feel boaty at all. The only negative is that it does seem to get front foot compressions easily but that doesn;t worry me. I'm now rethinking my attitude towards EPS / Epoxy.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I got a new Black Box 3 Hyfi last week after snapping my PU one. I also currently have a JS MonstaBox round and a Pyzel Ghost and have had two JS black box 2s in the past (all in PU). I like JS boards but this new one is my first Hyfi.

I was skeptical about the hyfi (the price was good so I gave it a try) and haven't bought an eps / epoxy for about 8 years but this feels unreal. I don't know if it's just the lightness of the board but it has an extra squirt when I get to my feet and is very responsive for turns. It doesn't feel boaty at all. The only negative is that it does seem to get front foot compressions easily but that doesn;t worry me. I'm now rethinking my attitude towards EPS / Epoxy.
I got my first HyFi this year, a Psycho Nitro. Despite having a terrible name, the board is solid both in design and build (so far). I've ridden many EPS boards over the years and I am generally a fan of the stuff for smaller waves but there is definitely a trade off and sometimes the positives of being light and lively are outweighed by the negatives of being chattery and hard to control. The HyFi feels well balanced and I haven't been able to find fault with the construction despite taking the board out in some fairly solid, lumpy conditions. The shape itself is versatile and feels well dialed just like most JS's I've ridden. A shame it's made in Thailand. I wouldn't buy one new but couldn't pass on the used price for this one.

Reactions: noise

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yes, 3 a hpsb, an east coast step up for the rare offshore challenging days, and softtop shortboard for screwing around in the shore break. Now paying for them is a different story.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
my buddy just got a channel bottom from him that he said came out really sick.
Going to visit Stu next week. Last summer I found an old pleasure pig on craigslist that I cannot get enough of. Gonna get a new one with a more pulled in nose. Love the concave deck. Surfs better than any fish Ive ever been on.

Reactions: jkb and JDJ

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Going to visit Stu next week. Last summer I found an old pleasure pig on craigslist that I cannot get enough of. Gonna get a new one with a more pulled in nose. Love the concave deck. Surfs better than any fish Ive ever been on.
That is my favorite looking board of his

Reactions: TheEl

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Going to pick up a Chilli Volume 2 this week I think. Going to sit between my twinny and fever.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've seen footage of the Album Plasmic but not much of the Sunstone or Lightbender. Anyone seen any?