Who else has convinced themselves they need a new board during this Covid-19 downtime?

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I think Biolos is speaking from the worst case scenario point of view. Which is probably the right perspective... but i think people are going to go back to their lives as soon as they can and start buying boards and goods again. The international shipping and things like that will probably take a while to reinstate and get back to normal.

I have a board coming from Australia that is supposed to ship in 2 weeks. We'll see if and when it makes it here.

Reactions: retodd

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
So many boards to choose from

I've decided on up grading one from 2000

Not shure if I want to make it a Twin / Thruster combo like back then yet

That was a great board , yet a 5 Fin in this board shape would be great too

It will be done in 3 weeks

Tail shot of that old board :

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Whenever things do get started up again, the shapers will be caught up on their back orders and eager to shape. The issue will be how many will still have money set aside or disposable income they can spare for a new board order (a true luxury in tough times). Many/most people will have had to dip into savings by then. It really just depends how many months this continues. Personally I haven’t lost income yet, but April and especially May will certainly be affected.
I won’t name names, but I had a local SD shaper message me yesterday who was too busy to reply about an order a couple months ago. He said “let’s shape you a board!” I replied “that was months ago and I’ve ordered 2 new boards since then. Can’t do it now but maybe in a few months when things get back to normal.“ LOL

Last edited:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
My shop will still be working, but on a limited basis. Off hour cutting with the doors locked. Prepay for your cuts and pick them up at the rollup door by appointment. Some glass shops will be doing the same stuff. You go to work in the shop by yourself with the doors locked. You're already wearing a respirator. Just enough to pay the rent and keep the lights on.

superfreak

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 9, 2003
Ventura, Ca.
I just purchased a new Robert's VLAD 6'2". I probably didn't need it but I wanted it, so I bought it since I'm looking forward to some good summer south swells. I have a few other boards that are too small for me now. I'll give them to my son or try to sell. Anyways, I've always been happy with Robert's boards and couldn't go wrong with those dims.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I just purchased a new Robert's VLAD 6'2". I probably didn't need it but I wanted it, so I bought it since I'm looking forward to some good summer south swells. I have a few other boards that are too small for me now. I'll give them to my son or try to sell. Anyways, I've always been happy with Robert's boards and couldn't go wrong with those dims.
I'll be cutting a few Roberts. Just got some blanks delivered. Robert is currently a one man glass shop over there behind locked doors. I have some Bonzers I am lined up to cut next week. Once MC finishes those out they will go to what has basically become a one man after-hours glass shop behind locked doors. Stuff is still moving.

Reactions: Brsnstein

kdropin

OTF status
Feb 28, 2010
LI,NY/ TI,NC
maybe prices will go down bc people will have less money to spend?? wishful thinking.. that carbon wrap board i want is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Wow
Reactions: JDJ

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Apart from waiting for NZ-AUS flights to reopen so I can pick up my 6'4 desert Storm, I really would like one of these:

1586641050039.png

1586641073826.png

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Apart from waiting for NZ-AUS flights to reopen so I can pick up my 6'4 desert Storm, I really would like one of these:

View attachment 89206

View attachment 89207
I have a GH Space Pig - but would love one these. GH mids have super knifey rails and are really foiled out. Get on it, i say!

Reactions: Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I have a GH Space Pig - but would love one these. GH mids have super knifey rails and are really foiled out. Get on it, i say!
Yeah, I remember you talking about it. Really like the look of the Space Pig, too.

I chatted with Wildthings in Byron online, as I was after a longboard that favoured gliding and swooping turns, not 'noseride and reset' type surfing. Andy Findlay was there, and he recommended the Speed Acid as a really good allrounder for that, when I thought it would be more for good-sized waves.

It's either that, or a long Space Pig. 8'10-9'0.

I love the look of it, and I spent a few hours looking at all the different shapes last year in Byron. They are so different from other brands; super knifey and bladed. Sh!t hot.

• Love
Reactions: jkb and Bman76

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Yeah, I remember you talking about it. Really like the look of the Space Pig, too.

I chatted with Wildthings in Byron online, as I was after a longboard that favoured gliding and swooping turns, not 'noseride and reset' type surfing. Andy Findlay was there, and he recommended the Speed Acid as a really good allrounder for that, when I thought it would be more for good-sized waves.

7C5B7882-58C0-4C14-87A8-0D2F5235B2CB_1_105_c.jpegIt's either that, or a long Space Pig. 8'10-9'0.

I love the look of it, and I spent a few hours looking at all the different shapes last year in Byron. They are so different from other brands; super knifey and bladed. Sh!t hot.
Send Jam71 a PM - he has ridden numerous acids and space pigs - he's currently got a 8'0 acid that he loves. Andy is lovely guy and top notch shaper.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

View attachment 89206

View attachment 89207
That thing looks like it would knife through the chop at your local :shaka:

isurfcardiff

OTF status
May 8, 2014
XTR Pyzel Pyzalien 2 ordered. Good price with the discount they were running. Board will be ready in 4 weeks! Hopefully San Diego county will get its sh!t together and open beaches for surfing by then.