Who are the best surfers in America right now?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I'm out of the loop but here's who comes to mind from the mainland....

Obviously all the CT guys and all the guys who used to be on the CT. ala Kelly, Kolohe, Nat, Griff, Dane, Caity....
I haven't seen Cole Houshmand in person in a few years, but he seems like he might scrape some results. He could also lose first round. IDK. None of the other OC kids are going to make an impact anytime soon outside of maybe Crosby.

Most of the USA QS guys are simply really sharp grovellers. They grind out the tour events, but I don't actually want to see them surf.

Outside of them, Balaram and Parker are great to watch. Bal's performance in waves of consequence has been quite admirable. His wave at Teahupoo alone was better than anything I've seen anyone else do in the last year. Good to see that dating a younger broad hasn't sucked the life out of him. I haven't kept up with any of the under 25 or so set, especially from the East.

Once the young tween girls commit to the tour and grow a bit, they're going to represent a big shift on the women's tour. Conversely, compared to their male counterparts, I hope they can grovel as well as they can charge.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
If we're doing islanders too,

Obviously it's JJF and then it's everyone else.

honorable mentions:
CTers (particularly Barron)
Mason
Eli in a few more years.

Last edited:

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
If we're doing islanders too,

Obviously it's JJF and then it's everyone else.

honorable mentions:
CTers (particularly Barron)
Mason
Eli in a few more years.
Eli has got to get his rail game together. He can do all the tricks but still hops around like a grom. Taro Watanabe is pretty mental. Crosby too. Not sure if the Brazilians really have another crop of freaks like Filipe, Gabe and Italo coming. Mateus Herdy is really good at airs but not sure about big tubes or rail surfing.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Everytime I go out of country on a surf trip I see ripper kids and think "damn, if you could afford a videographer and had the funds to travel..."

Often seems to be a correlation between "top" pros and wealth in my eyes. Obviously that's not always the case and not saying these "top" guys don't rip, but I've seen buttery smooth style barrels-to kerrupts-to power hacks all on the same wave on a brown patchwork board.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The main problem with American pro surfing is the fact it centers around Lowers.

When 95% of your surfing is there you're going to be lacking.

To make matters worse there is a lot of affluence in that area so always something to fall back on = ultimately not as hungry.

Reactions: PRCD