White water drills???

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Something a surf school would use to teach fundamentals. So that means trimming the board, learning how to change direction, etc.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
“Roll overs” = turtles = on a long board are great white water drills. Cardio. Shoulders / arms
How to get out of those situations OR just turn around, lay out on your board and head for the beach. In the white water. Regroup, watch the waves and use your head …. Timing. Wave movement.Intuitions.
Longboards have so much flotation. One has to learn how to manage that much flotation and not struggle OR like most do, let the board go, get dragged underwater by your leash and come up spitting water, trying to get your board under control and paddling back out to the line up.

Holding onto a longboard is the best thing you can do. It’s your flotation device, It’s there with you, not dragging your twenty yards down the beach underwater.. If a surfboard is coming at you fin up, roll, grab the nose with both hands and pull the nose over your head and protect it with the board. You may, get your fingers bashed, maybe, but your head will be in one piece.

Tie one end of your leash to a pilling and just paddle your board in between the pillings and try to hold your position. LOTS of wave action going on under a pier. It may Look stupid, but one can gain knowledge from doing so.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Never preferred the turtle technique and never found it as effective as the 'bulling 'technique where I grab the nose of the board under my arm and dive down with it. Nose goes under and the rest if the board is pushed under by the white water. No turning the board or your body upside down.

And for the record I hate and wont do 'whitewater drills'. I'm not a glutton for punishment in that regard, it's just stupid.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
“Roll overs” = turtles = on a long board are great white water drills. Cardio. Shoulders / arms
How to get out of those situations OR just turn around, lay out on your board and head for the beach. In the white water. Regroup, watch the waves and use your head …. Timing. Wave movement.Intuitions.
Longboards have so much flotation. One has to learn how to manage that much flotation and not struggle OR like most do, let the board go, get dragged underwater by your leash and come up spitting water, trying to get your board under control and paddling back out to the line up.

Holding onto a longboard is the best thing you can do. It’s your flotation device, It’s there with you, not dragging your twenty yards down the beach underwater.. If a surfboard is coming at you fin up, roll, grab the nose with both hands and pull the nose over your head and protect it with the board. You may, get your fingers bashed, maybe, but your head will be in one piece.

Tie one end of your leash to a pilling and just paddle your board in between the pillings and try to hold your position. LOTS of wave action going on under a pier. It may Look stupid, but one can gain knowledge from doing so.
I just don’t like when you start going end over end and your body starts getting torqued away from the board, wrenching your back. Happened a few times the past few weeks.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Can't they put a plastic bag over their heads and practice suffocating?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Maybe that was the plan for the woman walking down with an all black soft top when I drove away this afternoon.