White, male, and work in the industry in Hollywood? Not anymore.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
iFall being into black chicks like Lindsay Graham and Mike Pence being into dick. They like to keep things taboo for themselves. Even if they are getting side-dick it doesn't mean they can claim they're not homophobes.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
iFall being into black chicks like Lindsay Graham and Mike Pence being into dick. They like to keep things taboo for themselves. Even if they are getting side-dick it doesn't mean they can claim they're not homophobes.
ifall saying he has a “thing” for black chicks is one of the creepiest things I’ve read on erBB.

Also......lol at choki melting down about inclusive, multiracial casts......as if that’s something new

F372E2A0-7DC0-416E-BAD8-9591176F734C.jpeg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I have not read this thread or the entire article from the OP, but as a white male working in Hollywood since around 1998 I'll bite.

Hollywood has long had a diversity problem. Like much of the professional world, but hollywoods is a bit worse behind the scenes primarily due to nepotism. This has long been an industry where jobs and opportunities were given to family and friends. I'm not ashamed to admit I got my foot in the door because I knew somebody. Thats how it worked, and largely thats how it still works. Though I don't know if it's some sinister scheme to keep minorities out so much as industry-wide apathy.

Recently in post-production things got a little heated on social media after someone made an inquiry in a "professional" Facebook group for "black editors". Things got really heated with a lot of knee jerk responses and I mostly sat on the sidelines and watched disheartened as the debate got very close to home.

You can read about it here if you'd like...

One of the things that came out in the discussion was that in Hollywood only 1.5% of Editor positions are filled by black people. it was shocking to see the actual number. It got me thinking and in my 20+ years working in this industry I've never worked for or alongside a black editor or assistant editor. Does that make me an apathetic participant? I felt like my work bubble pretty fairly represented women as some of my biggest mentors as well as many of the bosses who gave me promotions and opportunity were women. But I really had only met one other black editor in my 20yrs and it just never crossed my mind until that Facebook debate blew up. As an editor I'm not in a position to hire other editors but I do hire my assistant editors and that's typically the path to becoming an editor. I hate to be the one who says "I don't see color or race" but the reality is looking back at the last 4 AE's I hired all checked the diversity boxes... Mexican, Indian, Mexican Woman and Woman. But I didn't hire them to check boxes for diversity. I hired them because they happened to be the best people for the job. But I also came to the conclusion that in my years of interviewing and hiring Assistant Editors I've never even interviewed a black assistant editor applicant. Typically when I'm looking to hire a new AE I'll ask around for referrals from friends and former coworkers and I'll get a stack of resumes to sift through. These resumes don't come with head shots, all I see are names and credits. Aside for a few obvious ones like my old AE Rahul who was clearly Indian based upon his name I have no fucking clue if the applicants are white, black or anything else. I call and set up interviews based upon credits and qualifications. And by chance or for some other reason well beyond me not a single applicant I've called to interview has been black. I can't say why. Maybe some of the resumes I didn't call for interviews were black individuals but I can say with certainty thats not why I passed over their resume for the next one.

The thing that got me most about the heated debate in this Facebook Group that I posted about earlier in this post was the vitriol from many of my white peers. They were saying things on Facebook with their names attached that were at times shocking considering that this was supposed to be a professional group where people were turning to for jobs. Things that some posters here would use troll accounts to say. Most of them seemed to be white male long time assistant editors who were still trying to move up to editor and felt slighted. The general vibe of all of their posts was something along the lines of "I worked hard to get here, am I supposed to just step aside and give my job to some unqualified black?" Thankfully I didn't personally know any of the individuals saying sh!t like this and while I don't agree with how they were saying saying it, as a a white male editor in this business who's looking to move up I can at least kind of see their point.

Recently Hollywood has made a big move to address diversity and while I largely support it, I see some of the arguments against how it's being done. While studios are rushing to sign overall development deals with minority and women producers which is great, most of the change is being directed towards their writing and directing programs. Every major studio has a writing and directing program that they use to cultivate writers and directors for their shows. They are very exclusive and every year thousands of people apply to get into these programs and maybe a 10 or 12 are accepted. They aren't the only way to crack the shell and get a writing or directing job in episodic television but if you get into the program and finish it your odds pretty darn high that you'll get work. In an attempt to rectify diversity issues, race and gender has become part of the application process. This makes it extremely difficult for someone like me, a white male editor who is looking to eventually make the leap to directing episodic television to crack these programs or bypass them and get an episode to direct. I understand this, because the diversity which should have always been there wasn't is finally being addressed now all at onc. They're trying to stock the farm with people who check the boxes which will inevitably be seen as "unfair" by many who don't check the boxes. But it's hard for me to complain about new hardships for me that others have been facing for generations.
Bitd when I worked on set there was already bitching about how if you weren’t a chick and for some reason not from the US the deck was stacked against you to get in the DGA trainee program.

There was also bitching about how ADs usually got to direct an episode per season until entitled actors/actresses decided it would be fun to LARP behind the camera.

Other than Gripping which seemed fam/generational and the Teamsters all the other jobs seemed fair game no matter who you were. I was even friends with a straight male hairdresser. He made bank and got so much ass. One of the smartest people I’ve ever met.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Straight Male hairdresser?

Did this this dude have pet Unicorn too?
No just mad game. Hairdressers have a lot of free time on set so he’d invite hot chicks back to his trailer to fix their hair…

If I remember correctly he was getting paid $800-1,000/10hr day to do this.
I was in the presence of a god.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I was even friends with a straight male hairdresser. He made bank and got so much ass. One of the smartest people I’ve ever met.
I thought being a make up artist would be a good way to meet pretty girls/

IF you got good at it the pretty girls would be wanting you to doll them up

Sure, just suck my dick first :poop:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Still trying to claim I’m a racist

sad

Reactions: redrider

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
I guess the adult film industry is way ahead of the curve on this one.

Conservatives hate “Hollywood Elites” yet are concerned they’ll be unemployed? :ROFLMAO:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You read the Daily Mail.:ROFLMAO:
Idiocy
Daily Mail is where I get the majority of D and C star list cleavage photos whenever some posts up a link about some new outcry of whateverness. :devilish:

hal9000 said:
sure if you like eyes really far apart, pointing outward, and a totally fvcked up mouth.
I could easily live with her looks, but I doubt she could live with mine.

1594668353360.png

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Daily Mail is where I get the majority of D and C star list cleavage photos whenever some posts up a link about some new outcry of whateverness. :devilish:

I could easily live with her looks, but I doubt she could live with mine.

View attachment 94423
she always plays really fun characters...I like her

I hope this is acceptable