While on the subject of Bikes

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
I never enjoyed driving into Tijuana preferring to just park in the lot on the US side and walk across the border. It's a short walk to the Taxi circle and the Taxi drivers were like Yelp for all things Tijuana. Once my business in TJ was done I would catch a taxi to the border. The line of people waiting to cross was always 5 blocks long no matter what time of day it was. Near the end of the line was a pile of rusting old bikes none could actually be ridden but could only be pushed. For $5 you could rent one, push it past the 1,000 or so people waiting to pass through customs and cross at the Bike lane. You were instructed once across to push the bike to a side street just outside of the Customs House and toss it on top of a waiting pile of used bikes. This "bike" service lasted for years.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I never enjoyed driving into Tijuana preferring to just park in the lot on the US side and walk across the border. It's a short walk to the Taxi circle and the Taxi drivers were like Yelp for all things Tijuana. Once my business in TJ was done I would catch a taxi to the border. The line of people waiting to cross was always 5 blocks long no matter what time of day it was. Near the end of the line was a pile of rusting old bikes none could actually be ridden but could only be pushed. For $5 you could rent one, push it past the 1,000 or so people waiting to pass through customs and cross at the Bike lane. You were instructed once across to push the bike to a side street just outside of the Customs House and toss it on top of a waiting pile of used bikes. This "bike" service lasted for years.
Define "business". :monkey: :monkey:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Reminds me of this story:

Every morning, around 10 AM after the rush is done, a kid wearing a backpack rides his bike across the boarder.

After a week of this, the boarder security people stop him, ask to check his pack. The kid says, "Sure." The guards find nothing,

Another week goes by, same daily crossing with the same kid wearing the packpack riding over the boarder. This week though, the boarder security people check his pack each day and lift the bike and shake it to see if they hear anything rattling around in the tires and tubes. They find nothing in the backpack nor do they hear anything in the tires/frame.

Security is perplexed. What is this kid doing? They suspect he is smuggling but what, and how?

So for the next two weeks, they search him every morning at the crossing. They even get the sniffer dogs out, but the kid, his clothes, the bike, the pack, clean. Can't find a thing.

After two months of this, kid riding his bike across the boarder wearing a backpack at the same time every day, getting search every day, and finding nothing, one of the security guards stops him and says, "Hey, here is $250. Tell me what you are smuggling and how and I won't arrest you, but you will have to stop crossing the boarder.

"Make it $500."

"Ok, but you'll have to come back tomorrow, I don't have it on me."

"Ok, see you tomorrow", and then he rides across the boarder as he has always done.

Security guy thinks he'll never see him again, but that is fine.

Next day, there is the kid but he is walking back across the border this time. Not the usual way.

"Show me the $500."

Boarder security pulls out the wad of cash, hands it to him. "Ok, there, now what have you been smuggling?"

"Bicycles."

Reactions: 2surf and Retropete