Which Hawaiian island do you like the best(assuming long stay)?

Jan 8, 2023
I've been to Maui a few times when I was younger. I liked it, particularly the northwest coast. At the time I felt like I would get island fever if I were to be there long term but I've lived on a couple smaller islands since then.

I'm looking all over for a place to do massage school and like the idea of hawaii because of abundance of nature and surfing. I'm aware of issues but it still might end up being best option.

Anyways, I know moving to hawaii is generally discouraged but maybe some people will be honest about their experiences in different islands.

Surfing-wise I'll be more on the low end of intermediate. I've lived away from surfing for a long time but I'm in ok shape for my age.

So yeah how do the different islands rank for you with regard to vibes, tradewinds, uncrowded waves, intangibles?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Show us your broken orbital sockets after visiting Molokai!

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Text prompt:

ChatGPT response:
As an AI, I do not have personal preferences. However, I can provide information about the different islands of Hawaii and their unique features to help you decide which one you might like the best for a long stay.

Text prompt:
For the different Hawaiian islands, what are the unique features of each that would help me select the best one for a long stay?

ChatGPT response:
There are eight main islands in Hawaii, each with its own unique features:

Oahu: Known as "The Gathering Place," Oahu is home to Honolulu and Waikiki Beach, as well as popular attractions like Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head. It's also the most populous island and has a diverse range of activities and cultural experiences.

Maui: Often called "The Valley Isle," Maui is known for its beautiful beaches, such as Kaanapali and Wailea, as well as the Road to Hana, a scenic drive through lush rainforests and past waterfalls.

Hawaii Island (also known as "The Big Island"): The largest of the islands, Hawaii Island is known for its diverse landscapes, including active volcanoes, black sand beaches, and lush rainforests.

Kauai: Known as "The Garden Isle," Kauai is the oldest of the main islands and is known for its picturesque landscapes, including Waimea Canyon and the Napali Coast.

Molokai: Known as "The Friendly Isle," Molokai is the least developed of the main islands and is known for its remote beaches, historic Kalaupapa settlement, and mule rides to Kalaupapa National Historical Park.

Lanai: Known as "The Pineapple Isle," Lanai was once home to pineapple plantations but is now known for its luxury resorts and secluded beaches.

Niihau: Known as "The Forbidden Isle," Niihau is a privately owned island that is off-limits to most visitors, but it's known for its clear waters, beautiful beaches, and unique ecosystem.

Kahoolawe: The smallest and least populated island, Kahoolawe is uninhabitable and is only used for training exercises by the military.

Each island has its own unique features and activities to enjoy, so it would depend on your personal preferences and what you are looking for in a long stay in Hawaii.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I feel like the people there already think there are too many people there and if you came you would just be another one of those people contributing to the over crowding.

But that sh!t don't phase some folks

Reactions: tacos

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Text prompt:

ChatGPT response:
As an AI, I do not have personal preferences. However, I can provide information about the different islands of Hawaii and their unique features to help you decide which one you might like the best for a long stay.

Text prompt:
For the different Hawaiian islands, what are the unique features of each that would help me select the best one for a long stay?

ChatGPT response:
There are eight main islands in Hawaii, each with its own unique features:

Oahu: Known as "The Gathering Place," Oahu is home to Honolulu and Waikiki Beach, as well as popular attractions like Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head. It's also the most populous island and has a diverse range of activities and cultural experiences.

Maui: Often called "The Valley Isle," Maui is known for its beautiful beaches, such as Kaanapali and Wailea, as well as the Road to Hana, a scenic drive through lush rainforests and past waterfalls.

Hawaii Island (also known as "The Big Island"): The largest of the islands, Hawaii Island is known for its diverse landscapes, including active volcanoes, black sand beaches, and lush rainforests.

Kauai: Known as "The Garden Isle," Kauai is the oldest of the main islands and is known for its picturesque landscapes, including Waimea Canyon and the Napali Coast.

Molokai: Known as "The Friendly Isle," Molokai is the least developed of the main islands and is known for its remote beaches, historic Kalaupapa settlement, and mule rides to Kalaupapa National Historical Park.

Lanai: Known as "The Pineapple Isle," Lanai was once home to pineapple plantations but is now known for its luxury resorts and secluded beaches.

Niihau: Known as "The Forbidden Isle," Niihau is a privately owned island that is off-limits to most visitors, but it's known for its clear waters, beautiful beaches, and unique ecosystem.

Kahoolawe: The smallest and least populated island, Kahoolawe is uninhabitable and is only used for training exercises by the military.

Each island has its own unique features and activities to enjoy, so it would depend on your personal preferences and what you are looking for in a long stay in Hawaii.
Chat bot is so wishy washy.

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
I've been to Maui a few times when I was younger. I liked it, particularly the northwest coast. At the time I felt like I would get island fever if I were to be there long term but I've lived on a couple smaller islands since then.

I'm looking all over for a place to do massage school and like the idea of hawaii because of abundance of nature and surfing. I'm aware of issues but it still might end up being best option.

Anyways, I know moving to hawaii is generally discouraged but maybe some people will be honest about their experiences in different islands.

Surfing-wise I'll be more on the low end of intermediate. I've lived away from surfing for a long time but I'm in ok shape for my age.

So yeah how do the different islands rank for you with regard to vibes, tradewinds, uncrowded waves, intangibles?
Try Canada.

Jan 8, 2023
Well I expected these kind of responses though I didnt know what shape they would take.

Its not easy to go to Canada as an American and Tofino is even more expensive.

Every good place is experiencing a rental crunch. The gap between good areas and shitty areas is vast. I've lived in a lot of places and I don't see any choice but aiming high.

I'm not convinced on Hawaii but after looking at Japan, Mexico, Costa Rica, vancouver, Washington, Oregon, Long Island and Barbados its moving into the lead.

Jan 8, 2023
Stay where you are and focus on school

Don't serve two masters.

move after school.

Are you okay touching guys?
Problem is I'm like ravenous to get surfing again. It will be 7 months more before I can move and I will be absolutely frothing by then.
As far as school, a lot of times with massage cert u are confined to the state you did the training in. I'm from southern california and I never want to see this landscape again. Other livable states have their own issues. And yeah there is a big difference between massage trainings. Just because a place can certify you doesn't mean you come away with an exceptional massage/energy.

Yeah, massaged men also when I first started. Its much harder technically speaking but beats my other jobs.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
If you live in the USA moving to Hawaii wouldn't make you an expat. Another unwanted haole yes. Expat no.

Moving to Mexico would make you an expat although the likelihood of a brutal death outweighs any benefit.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: PPK96754 and Pico