Where's all the old boogie boarders?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
High school buddy was a dick dragger and only person who would go with me North to chase lefts here in 805 when the buoys lit up local right points. I still remember senior high school trip to pascales seeing my friend going down big beach break peaks really looking like he is dragging his dick:)

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Boogiein’ is so much harder the older you get.

The boards paddle like drunk slugs. Even if you get a bigger board, the rails really don’t engage.

You got to be super fit to make them work. We just never thought about it when we were younger because we were super fit with all the energy in the world.

I did buy a super big boogie when my kids were young, made it a twin fin, more grip. Still have it. Hmmm, Marine St. might be calling this summer.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
In terms of hotness female boogs put female surfers to shame.

Boog girls so much more fit.

Love japanese boog girls.
The female Japanese bodyboarder takeover of B5F-hood back in the mid/late-90s definitely exposed the slippage of localism. :roflmao:

But it is true, you don't see too many bodyboarders anymore. Don't think I've seen one here up north since I've moved.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The female Japanese bodyboarder takeover of B5F-hood back in the mid/late-90s definitely exposed the slippage of localism. :roflmao:

But it is true, you don't see too many bodyboarders anymore. Don't think I've seen one here up north since I've moved.
You see them a lot more where the waves are appropriate.

For a large part, CA is not one of those places.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
...I did buy a super big boogie when my kids were young, made it a twin fin, more grip. Still have it. Hmmm, Marine St. might be calling this summer.
Lol! I borrowed my friend's inflatable bullyboard this past weekend. Good fun!

210403_me1_JK.jpg

And as for the Japanese female bodyboarders, they charge! Here's world champ Ayaka Suzuki at Pipe last year.

200228_01.jpg

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Boogiein’ is so much harder the older you get.

The boards paddle like drunk slugs. Even if you get a bigger board, the rails really don’t engage.

You got to be super fit to make them work. We just never thought about it when we were younger because we were super fit with all the energy in the world.

I did buy a super big boogie when my kids were young, made it a twin fin, more grip. Still have it. Hmmm, Marine St. might be calling this summer.
Cant say I agree with that. I think it's a lot easier on you not having to pop up the older you get, especially in faster breaking waves.

While the swim fins put an abnormal amount of torque into your leg muscles which can cause cramps, I think its a benefit being able to use your legs (largest muscles in your body) and also your arms, even if the boards do paddle like slugs with your back half dragging in the water.

While a big Bodyboard might help with flotation and paddling a bit, it will make it noticeably harder to engage the rail. I have a board that's too big for me and while I can ride it fine, I just end up extending my arm further out so that I sit far enough back on the board to sink the rail as needed. You don't want too big of a boog in more powerful waves, they should come up to your belly button at most.

Reactions: SlicedFeet