where you can surf in the world right now with no issues (corona virus related)

whofarted

OTF status
Jan 19, 2012
lower intestine
certain Caribbean islands
Hawaii
Chile
west oz
trestles

anywhere else?

these places seem to be the only places where people arent getting harassed to surf. look like all of Europe, teahopoo, south Africa, costa rica are off limits.
i keep looking at surfline and people are surfing in new england and long island with no headaches from cops???

whats the deal??

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Some areas are not enforcing the restrictions as hard as others. I think OBX is still ok, some beaches in FL during weekdays and certain weekend hours

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
i keep looking at surfline and people are surfing in new england and long island with no headaches from cops???

whats the deal??
Except for a couple surfers, fisherman, lobster guys, etc. 98% of that region doesn't even think the beach exists before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.

You couldn't get 90% of them to admit surfing there exists. There was a Ben Gravy vid where someone reported a person drowning or distressed mariner when he was foamy trimming on nuking knee high piddlers in New England. For the dream.

In SoCal and parts of Florida people get it. A hurricane turns North off the coast and all the fisherman, most people in the service industry, and most people who know someone can tell you, that crew isn't coming to pressure wash your deck and clean your gutters today. The surf uhhhh I mean the workers are sick. And stuff. Bro.

New England, forget it. Those rigid puritans? You'd find it nigh impossible to convince like 75% of them it is possible to ride a wave in that region. In the incredibly unlikely event you had a lineup shot of that Maine wedge AND they rented a summer house there once, or you had a drone shot of Ruggles with some mansions in the foreground and they visited them, or you had a shot of Pt. Judith, WITH the Pt. Judith ferry including, uhh "Rhode" Island Hi Speed Ferry legible in the background, and you had extra blood pressure medication, you might get some of the really, really open-minded ones to grok the simple fact. When I was a grom I had relatives from Connecticut about to have a group aneurysm because I went surfing in the rain. Everyone and their brother will tell you they live near the water in Providence, or New London, or maybe even Boston, and "they've never seen a surfer in New England". They even went to Coney Island or Jones Beach or some sh!t once, and nobody was surfing!

Florida isn't shut because of surfers. If it was March of 2013 it probably still wouldn't be shut, because it was 55 degrees and pissing rain sideways for four weeks. It's shut because of beachgoers.

You can't surf for a month and your standards are North Florida, Wall cam looks real fun. Water's 43 air's 39.

Ain't no beach donkey bingo in New England in March. They probably haven't even put the shovels, bear claw for the windshield, etc. away yet.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Manresa. It’s been shithouse but my 10 year old finally caught the stock! 3rd day in row getting out there.
Tangentiating big time but.. Have you ever heard of Manresa Murph? The tale was written by alt.surfing newsgroup member Stephen "Da Hulk" Hull (RIP). Story might resonate with you even more since you are a father. Good read for everyone sheltering in place.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Nobody hanging on the beach in NY. Been working and surfing as usual.
I practice social distance when I surf anywho.
Some buddies down in FL/NC been in the water to scratch the itch.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Tangentiating big time but.. Have you ever heard of Manresa Murph? The tale was written by alt.surfing newsgroup member Stephen "Da Hulk" Hull (RIP). Story might resonate with you even more since you are a father. Good read for everyone sheltering in place.

The only Murph I know is the opposite of the one in the story. Super hardcore, never talks and f’n rips. Steak knows him.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
finished today with a better than average turn for me.

i thought if i die that will really suck but at least my last turn was okay.
Must have been a good one. Your average turn is more than decent.

Less people every day here. The kids are getting plenty.

Stay safe!

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Must have been a good one. Your average turn is more than decent.

Less people every day here. The kids are getting plenty.

Stay safe!
too kind. i have felt like my surfing is fairly weak lately.

but . . . i have a new board underfoot with "old man bonus foam"

yeewwwwwwww

Reactions: potato-nator

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
beach/BW open in AC.
few on boardwalk; perhaps its the 30mph cold wind.
surf small but clean.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I thought Mex was open for business. Obviously, if you go there . . .