Where should my priorities be to improve my health?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Wow, low 40's? My DR. just tried to put me on some meds because my resting heartrate is usually around 50. I explained to him how active I am and he reconsidered but 40's seems really low.
Mine is high 40s - Low 50s but when I was doing triathlons a few years back during a doctors appoint the PA measures a 38, measured it again (36) went and got the doctor, doc measured it (36), called in the cardiologist from down stairs and he measured it (36).

Keep in mind that this whole time nobody has said anything to me or asked me about it.

Then they asked about dizziness, lack of energy, etc.

I asked what the deal was and when they told me they were concerned about my low heart rate I told them I thought they were impressed by it and wanted everyone to come see.

Once I told them about the training they relaxed.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Interestingly enough about resting heart rate, I found that if I drink moderately (couple six-packs and bottle or three of wine) over a weekend, my resting heart rate jumps up about 5-10 beats/minute over the next day or two before going back to normal. I know the sauce is no good but at the same time, it IS good. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: CutnSnip

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
So I hear. I've gotten several double-takes from nurses when they've taken my pulse. EKGs for work physicals are a nightmare because the computer program registers me as having a heart attack. Obviously absurd. Similarly, they've made same comments with me re: it being low despite being physically active. Personal record is 38 but that was brief, not an average rate.
So I went in for a physical a few years ago...rode my bicycle across town to get there.

Arrive a little warm, a little sweaty, but more or less, not breathing that hard.

First thing they do is get my bp and heart rate.

I tell them, "It is going to be a little high, just rode my bicycle here."

They say nothing, just check the numbers, writing things down, then send me back the waiting room.

Then 10 minutes later, the doc is ready and we go through the check-up.

At some point she looks at the intake info numbers, goes, "Hmmm, that seems high...lets do the bp and heart rate again."

Sends me back the waiting room.

10 minutes later, tested again.

1 minute later, doc comes out and looks at me, asks how I feel.

"Fine."

"Hmmm, your heart rate just dropped 50 points since you came in. You do seem alert and not in distress."

"Well, I told everyone I rode my bike here and in the last half hour or so, all I've been doing is resting/recovering."

"I hear that alot...in your case it seems true."

"So I'm good?"

"Take this sheet to the lab for some bloodwork, we'll find out how good."

And away I went.

Last edited:
Dude, over 35 years of my life, I realized that mental health is completely dependent on hormones and if you have problems with the nervous system, then you need to do a hormone test. I had severe depression a couple of months ago and decided to try tests for the hormonal system. I passed the tests for the levels of the main hormones and the results were very disappointing ... I used the tests from https://www.myhealthconfirm.com/ and I did not even doubt the results. So I realized that everything in our body, even our mood, depends on hormones.

Last edited:

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
The question is pretty broad and can be interpreted in many ways. Start with the basics. Fresh air, a good supply of safe/fresh water, healthy diet (also prone to many opinions), moderate regular exercise, regular visits with your primary care doc, limit your alcohol and weed, don't overindulge, read regularly, garden, do good deeds, consider some sort of faith-based routine, and get plenty of sleep/naps.

Oct 28, 2020
Toronto
Well, first of all, you should see a doctor and pass a medical examination, to understand what problems do you have. After that, you have to begin a treatment which will include not only a specific diet, but also different physical exercises, or even take different kinds of pills. I had some back pains this year, and my doctor recommended me some kratom capsules from sakratom.com. Might say they really helped me, and I feel much better now. Don’t lose time, and visit a doctor as soon as possible, I am sure you won’t be disappointed about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The question is pretty broad and can be interpreted in many ways. Start with the basics. Fresh air, a good supply of safe/fresh water, healthy diet (also prone to many opinions), moderate regular exercise, regular visits with your primary care doc, limit your alcohol and weed, don't overindulge, read regularly, garden, do good deeds, consider some sort of faith-based routine, and get plenty of sleep/naps.
Gardening can be hell on your lower back.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
SJ did an interview w/Felipe Pomar in which he insisted one pay special
attention to one's prostate, gums and vision. in it he said his goal is to surf at
100yo.
:applause2:

Reactions: Havoc