Where should I sit?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
At home in AC.
No AC necessary. Yesterday it would have been nice. Roadhouse Canyon got up to 112. The valley side got up to 121. During the evening news at 7:30 the reporter said it was cooling off and behind her the temperature on a bank sign said 105.

The sad thing about those crowded lineups is the waves are knee to thigh high. Maybe an occasional chest high wave at Kivlin's.:socrazy:

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Maybe this would be a good time to drop your trousers and take a massive sh!t.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
If it’s big, b/w 2nd and 3rd. Worked for me sort of. Being a goofy I was never in a hurry to surf there but one day I decided to see what all the fuss was about. Went online and found a “Guide to Surfing Malibu”. Said when there’s some size your best bet is to go for the in betweeners.

Caught the tastiest wave, grabbed the rail and stuck my hand in the face because and for a few seconds I was in heaven. I’m thinking what I’m gonna do when it comes time to decide to shoot the pier when it began. First one at a time and then in twos and threes they began to drop in on me. Loggers, hpsbs, retros, wavestorms, women, children, lots of old men, bro brahs, hipsters, pros and pro ams, and is that Laird?

I was so bummed out that no one cared about the one fundamental “rule of the road” that I straightened out, and went in never to return.

I can see why everyone loves it, it’s a magical spot but for me it wasn’t worth the effort.

YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: Boneroni

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
But where were you sitting prior to where you were all by yourself with your hand in the face starting to worry about the Pier? Almost unbelievable, you're lucky ____ wasn't there. That's a great story btw.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I would walk down to the beach with my friend and it would be that crowded and he would start to wade into the surf and I would be like are you really going out?

Then I would walk back to my place and work.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
But where were you sitting prior to where you were all by yourself with your hand in the face starting to worry about the Pier? Almost unbelievable, you're lucky ____ wasn't there. That's a great story btw.
Right between 2nd and 3rd. Wasn’t even anyone else sitting there. Wave came that was too small for 3rd and too big for 2nd just like whatever I read said it would. Prior to that I’d scored a parking spot zero effort or I’d have kept driving N. It was almost too easy…

The fact that I was “lab rat” blazed may or may not have influenced my decision not to deal with the crowds

YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamScam