Where is Peng Shuai?

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Well you are an urban lumberjack so you should get a boot allowance or at least a write off. When I was in the field doing construction, I got a $300.00/year boot and $100.00/year PPE allowance.

I do understand re the upfront cost but that to is manageable if you know how to budget. I have nice >$200.00 boots. I'm not in the field as much these days so they tend to last me >4 years, even more if I get them resoled for $100.00. When the uppers or toe start to show wear, I start putting a little money away in the boot fund.
Yeah we do get an allowance which makes it easier.

I really don’t think the average American can spend more than $100-200 on shoes all other things considered.

Reactions: npsp and Ifallalot

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Not all of the boots are $400
I didn’t see the stuff listed at $290.

still a hefty price for most.

I hope they inspire more manufacturing here, and jocko’s can do attitude is inspiring.

but I thought there was a copious amount of nativity when joe rogaine and jocko willink are acting like a price increase of 300-400$ is no big deal when discussing an American made iPhone option. Or not addressing the fact that those are not accessible prices for most.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I love buying Made In the USA and do so whenever possible. For me it’s worth the extra money just to know some sketchy foreigner didn’t make my truck, boots, guns, jeans, etc.

Here in Rock, Flag and Eagle Colorado it sure seems like the local hardware store has gone out of their way to stock as many American made products as they can.
Years ago I went out of my way and paid a premium to buy a made in America tool- a Dewalt grinder, instead of a made in China Makita. Almost immediately the switch on the Dewalt gave out. I had to shake the grinder to get it to start. To get it fixed I had to bring it to a Dewalt Service center 30 miles away and they estimated a month. I said fukkit and just shook it. Finally, after a couple years, no amouint of shaking would get it going. This time I bought a Porter Cable made in China and it's going strong. So made in America is no gaurantee.

Made is Switzerland is a different deal. Bosch jig saw under heavy use for 35 years. Still going strong. I kept my eye on the saw in stores for many years. It was still made in Switzerland. I debated buying a new one before they moved production to China...but the old one works fine. Finally about 2 years ago I looked at one and it was made in Hungary. No more Switzerland. Hope mine holds out another 25-30 years...

My truck at the moment is made in Germany VW van.

My boots are homemade sandals.

My guns were made in Geramny and Belgium- Luger and Browning.

My jeans are Levis, made in San Francisco right? (I've never looked).

Eagle? Did you vote for Boebert? Isn't she from Eagle? Or Rifle? Somehwerer near Vail.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Years ago I went out of my way and paid a premium to buy an made in America tool- a Dewalt grinder, instead of a made in China Makita. Almost immediately the switch on the Dewalt gave out. I had to shake the grinder to get it to start. To get it fixed I had to bring it to a Dewalt Service center 30 miles away and they estimated a month. I said fukkit and just shook it. Finally, after a couple years, no amouint of shaking would get it going. This time I bought a Porter Cable made in China and it's going strong. So made in America is no gaurantee.

Made is Switzerland is a different deal. Bosch jig saw under heavy use for 35 years. Still going strong. I kept my eye on the saw in stores for many years. It was still made in Switzerland. I debated buying a new one before they moved production to China...but the old one works fine. Finally about 2 years ago I looked at one and it was made in Hungary. No more Switzerland. Hope mine holds out another 25-30 years...

My truck at the moment is made in Germany VW van.

My boots are homemade sandals.

My guns were made in Geramny and Belgium- Luger and Browning.

My jeans are Levis, made in San Francisco right? (I've never looked).

Eagle? Did you vote for Boebert? Isn't she from Eagle? Or Rifle? Somehwerer near Vail.
Bosch tools are dank still I hope because I just got their jigsaw.

Picked a Makita combo kit geared towards contractors/based off of utility and was pleasantly surprised to find out except for the flashlight, made in Japan.

My boots for the most part are made in the USA Chippewas. Don’t know where they made my Kamik snowboots and some insulated steel toes I picked up after almost chopping some toes off testing out my new splitting maul.

My guns are all made in the USA. Mossberg, Sig Sauer and Henry.

My truck was made in Dearborn Michigan and they did a real good job.

My jeans are now 100% made in US. Thought I’d step up my fashion game recently and finally got some nice ones (selvedge). A short search for the best value/cheapest made stateside yielded a company out of Los Angeles. https://bravestarselvage.com/

Rock, Flag and Eagle CO isn’t a real place it’s a state of mind lol. I live now in a fairly conservative little town in the southern part of the state and couldn’t be happier. Because while it’s pretty MAGA it’s also way more diverse than your average ski town. At line in the supermarket you’ll find: a CO cowboy hat boots big belt buckle the whole 9 yards, your garden variety dirty hippie(s), a retired couple from ?, some weed farmers, a pistol packing CO redneck, a whole lot average Joes and Janes and me.

Havent voted yet but I will and hard. Particularly when it comes to Sheriff as they not the state/Denver or Boulder ultimately determine the county’s gun laws.
In addition to getting involved in local politics, ie showing up at town council meetings and asking as many questions as I’m allowed about sustainable development, affordable housing, the school system/youth facilities, clean water and any other pertinent issues that come to mind especially if it’s going to bum out the fat cats responsible for the borderline clusterfuck things are now.

Who knows if I think I can really **** some people off while bringing important issues to the forefront, maybe I’ll even seek office.

But the bottom line is I’m very fortunate to be doing as well as I am and that combined with no dependents means I have some disposable income so whenever possible I try to support American design and manufacturing.

Last edited:
Reactions: npsp and Ifallalot

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I didn’t see the stuff listed at $290.

still a hefty price for most.
The shoes are made to order. I’m currently trying ti work out a deal with them to make a one off with oil resistant soles.
I hope they inspire more manufacturing here, and jocko’s can do attitude is inspiring.
If they (or other companies) scale up the prices will come down.

but I thought there was a copious amount of nativity when joe rogaine and jocko willink are acting like a price increase of 300-400$ is no big deal when discussing an American made iPhone option. Or not addressing the fact that those are not accessible prices for most.
I assume you are referring to something discussed in the recent podcast? I haven’t listened to it yet.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I think its great that we're all worried about Peng, but if people needed an excuse to pull sports out of china there have been plenty of other examples/reasons to do so before this. Kind of seems weird to only do it now over 1 person. Why don't non-tennis players matter. Uighurs need a tennis star!

Reactions: afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I think its great that we're all worried about Peng, but if people needed an excuse to pull sports out of china there have been plenty of other examples/reasons to do so before this. Kind of seems weird to only do it now over 1 person. Why don't non-tennis players matter. Uighurs need a tennis star!
when it's so blatantly done out in the open and people STILL pretend like nothing happened we have moved directly in to the Orwellian

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Tbh I thought we were talking about a panda missing from some zoo over there

• Haha
Reactions: CutnSnip

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
when it's so blatantly done out in the open and people STILL pretend like nothing happened we have moved directly in to the Orwellian
I’ll admit that since I hadn’t gone to the gas station recently I’m fully out of the loop on this one I did some research (not really I just got high and did a cursory google search) and I’m still confused.

Chinese tennis star chick bangs some government dude then later he sexually assaults her and she goes missing but now she’s not???