When Waves?

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
Today is pretty small but I've surfed fun waves every single day before that for a week.

Rode the longboard some days, but...
Me too, and today I rode my proper shortboard, it had plenty of juice too. I haven't been going your way in a long time, so that helps :p
Oh and I don't own a longboard

Reactions: rice

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
The stronger the La Nina, the more high pressure dominates the NPAC.

Forcing storms to go up and over, and then near straight down parallel the Pacific west coast.

Making swell angles too steep for even parts of Central Cal, let alone the well protected So Cal coast.

But, things could change as we get into the "real" part of winter (Jan-March). Hopefully.

Surf has been large up here in S. OR. off and on, but conditions not always favorable. No huge 35-40 ft days yet though.
We had one 25-30 ft day a month or so ago, and that's about it for XL waves.

We had a great New Year Eve and New Year Day, with little to no wind and bright sunny skies. But surf was kinda small (head high max).

Last night was howling big time with new round of storms this week coming. Strongest S-SSW winds we've had yet last night, with gusts 50-65 mph and maybe more. Took out the top of one of our CA redwoods a previous owner (not last) put in 10-15 years ago (now about 40-50 ft tall). It looks like it had a split top, with a previous crack in it, and a big gust just split-topped it off. Break out the chainsaw.

Nothing like living in real weather land to see Mother Nature in all her fierce glory.:waving:

Edit: Oh yeah, we have a high surf advisory for 24-27 ft waves thru tomorrow from the localized S-SW winds.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
yeah, NYD was clear skies and still air...just gorgeous sunsets the last couple of nights

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Its been on the small side up here this December, which can actually be a good thing. It can go victory at sea for days which it has and long periods 14+ can be hit or miss at most spots. But between huge tides, snow storms, and lots of unfavorable conditions it was a poor December. Not really a surprise. Mostly sucks here anyways. New Years eve and day surfs were more an exercise in collecting some vitamin D on the face given the sun was out. Funky mixed up swell and then pretty micro NYers day. What's weird is the amount of storms that have rolled through, with no real long period swell. I check the buoys almost every day and haven't seen the typical LP numbers. Typically winters like this would be pumping south of Conception. Buddy was down in Todos BCS for the holidays and said it was micro the entire time. On the other hand white wave has kinda been all time with maybe even to much snow next few days.

Last edited:

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
Our swell window for the good stuff is rather small, say Nov-Feb. If we don't get it then, well that's it
until next year unless you're a traveler.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
What's up with the Pacific pattern this winter? No storms rolling off Kamchatka?
It's not a short term pattern.

It's a normal decades long pattern caused by the PDO which entails higher jet streams and years of poorer than normal surf for the West Coast.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Surf this morning, chest high, sideshore and 22 degrees, oh joy!!!!
JFC that sounds like pain just to think about it. Water/air temperature rarely gets below 70 here so waist to shoulder high isn’t unpleasant. I have mad respect for you guys trying to get it done with the cold. ElOgro doesn’t do well with anything cold other than beer.

I think youse guys are crazy.

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
JFC that sounds like pain just to think about it. Water/air temperature rarely gets below 70 here so waist to shoulder high isn’t unpleasant. I have mad respect for you guys trying to get it done with the cold. ElOgro doesn’t do well with anything cold other than beer.

I think youse guys are crazy.
Oh, it sucks but slow time for work, fishing is done and barely beats working out in the cold.