When did gerry lopez get into the soft top biz?

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
At the Ranch.
Had a kid that worked for me years ago. He said he had worked up at Yvonne's Hollister property and part of his daily duties was to high pressure spray the eaves so sparrows could not start nests. Just seemed odd to me, but may be total BS.

On Gerry - I believe his 8' is taking over the Wavestorm spot at Costco, they are all made at the same factory in Taiwan, with Catch, stormblade etc, so just an aesthetic switch. Gerry also has a line of lighting bolt boards with Surftech, but I can't recall the construction, pretty sure PU/PE resin tints out of Cobra in Thailand.

cha-ching!

• Angry
Reactions: Aruka and Havoc

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Had a kid that worked for me years ago. He said he had worked up at Yvonne's Hollister property and part of his daily duties was to high pressure spray the eaves so sparrows could not start nests. Just seemed odd to me, but may be total BS.

On Gerry - I believe his 8' is taking over the Wavestorm spot at Costco, they are all made at the same factory in Taiwan, with Catch, stormblade etc, so just an aesthetic switch. Gerry also has a line of lighting bolt boards with Surftech, but I can't recall the construction, pretty sure PU/PE resin tints out of Cobra in Thailand.

cha-ching!
just sold a beatup baord to some kid who didnt want to ride a wavestorm anymore. there IS hope!

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Just cuz the guy does yoga doesn't mean he's an eco-warrior. But you'd think his sponsor Patagonia would frown on the association with these soft-tops without even a claim to being recyclable like the Almond or Album ones.
They are recyclable. I saw a dude with one in the return line at Costco the other day.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Saw a dood at Costco yesterday with 3 softtop Gerrys in his cart. He grabbed the last 3 in the store.
Was walking around trying not to hit anyone with them, it was comical. We got to the registers about the same time. The clerks told him that he could only get 2 at a time. So, in the next register some guy who wanted one, but couldnt get one because this douche had taken the last 3, said he'd take it, he had 3 kids, and so he got one. Asked the clerk if they had more coming, they said no, no more coming for the future. He wanted to come back and get 2 more. I stopped short of asking what he was doing with 3 at the time.
I figured he was:
1- surf camp instructor/owner (looked like the typical to me)
2- worked or owned a surf shop that was renting or re-selling them.(had a surf shop swetshirt on)
3- selling them on craigslist. (i've seen a local listing)

who needs 3?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
What’s the street value of these things? Saw one headed to the beach with a cross-hatched wax pattern. Sick!

quite a few popping up used selling for more than wavestorms ever did.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017

check out all the tags this guys listing has!!!

doesn't seem like a worthy venture for 40-60$ kooks dealing with kooks! lol :roflmao:

Reactions: MathDebater

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
who here would've bought Gerry's wavestorm if it been a 7'6" red with yellow bolt single fin spear?