When did Encinitas stop being a surf town and become Lancerville?

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Encinitas has been sneaking in all sorts of quackery during the shutdown. Restriping lanes, eliminating parking, and bike lanes.

Coast highway between Cardiff and Seaside is one lane for cars, one shared car/bikes lane and one dedicated (curbed) bike lane on each side. For the math challenged, that equals bike can use 4 out of 6 lanes. The pro Lancers are upset because they like to ride in groups 10 feet wide and the curbed bike lane is in the way for them. :rolleyes:
This is happening in large part due to a local pro snowboarders wife who was rundown while riding her bike on the shoulder and left clinging to life in critical condition last December. She was a Cardiff community planner, activist, and great surfer who ironically tried implementing better safety measures for cyclists on local roads before her accident. They filed a large lawsuit against the city of Encinitas citing insufficient safety lanes for cyclists and failure to improve traffic safety measures along 101 corridor.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Go just east of I-5 in what's called "Eastside" and it's still minority majority, lots of rentals, with gang activity not uncommon.
We moved to Eastside two years ago from Venice. I moved to Venice in 2004, my wife in 2000. Eastside pretty much has the same vibe as Venice did then. It's a little rough around the edges, but still has some old school charm and the coastal breeze. Lots of multi-generational Mexican families holding it down. Every Sunday some women come by selling tamales. One mile from the beach. We did have some gun shots on our corner maybe 6 months ago one random night. Sounded like it was gang related. We love it. Maybe thats cause it reminds us of the neighborhoods my wife and I grew up in as kids.

-Gentrifier out.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
This is happening in large part due to a local pro snowboarders wife who was rundown while riding her bike on the shoulder and left clinging to life in critical condition last December. She was a Cardiff community planner, activist, and great surfer who ironically tried implementing better safety measures for cyclists on local roads before her accident. They filed a large lawsuit against the city of Encinitas citing insufficient safety lanes for cyclists and failure to improve traffic safety measures along 101 corridor.

Ah, the lady , riding in the dark at 6:00 am, who got hit. Coast highway through Leucadia is gnarly for biking. There's no room, the sharerows actually work. And speedhumps too. The few times I go biking, I try to ride on the sidewalk as much as possible, for my own safety. The roundabout at La Costa may prove interesting. The one between Carlsbad and Oceanside seems to work, not as much traffic though.

Jul 8, 2008
Guessing it's not a function of just Encinitas degrading over time, rather that's a reality everywhere. Nowhere is immune. Age and increased grumpiness is a universal axiom so that's in play too. Whenever I drive down to north county from the Bay Area to surf I'm always impressed in the great vibe and attitude down there. I'm sure it was way better 30 years ago. But so was SF, so was LA, etc.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Why does it seem like so many people from Oceanside aspire to live in Carlsbad? Is that like a step up in southern California society?

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Was driving through a couple saturdays ago and was wondering if I could plow through the dickheads on bikes and get away with it without getting caught on video.

I figured the answer was No.

I don't hate the Yuppy Lancers for who they are, I hate them for where they are.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That canyons golf course in Carlsbad is sick. I enjoy all parts of NCSD but I only rarely visit so it’s all fun and sun and usually surf

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Whenever I drive down to north county from the Bay Area to surf I'm always impressed in the great vibe and attitude down there. I'm sure it was way better 30 years ago. But so was SF, so was LA, etc.
I think the same thing when I take the train N of LA county.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Was driving through a couple saturdays ago and was wondering if I could plow through the dickheads on bikes and get away with it without getting caught on video.

I figured the answer was No.

I don't hate the Yuppy Lancers for who they are, I hate them for where they are.
My little corner of the Earth underwent a rash of plowed down cyclists a few years back--all hit and run. Only one prosecution as I recall. Some thought of gang initiation. There are fewer cyclists on the road since.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
My little corner of the Earth underwent a rash of plowed down cyclists a few years back--all hit and run. Only one prosecution as I recall. Some thought of gang initiation. There are fewer cyclists on the road since.
I think the thng that really gets drivers is not the single Lancer riding down the street, staying in his or her bike lane. It's when the whole damn peloton goes for a ride and takes up the whole damn road with some huge air of group entitlement.

Reactions: Kento