whats your favorite hp like soft top?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
This seems like a lot of work:

I do have one of these Almonds I got for 50% off a couple yrs ago. I figured I'd take it along on family beach days with the little kids. But I think I've only ridden it 2-3x in 2 years, as I've found it's just not that big a deal to bring a regular hard board... and I'd rather ride one 100% of the time.
The Almond is fun but not HP. Closed cell foam is stiffer- like a foam cooler- so the rails don't flex and feel like a wet noodle when you go to turn, like on a wavestorm, INT, and most softtops.
EDIT: Album softops are the same build as Almond.
I think someone said the CatchSurf JOB boards have decent rails and are actually surfable.

Last edited:

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I bought a CatchSurf Lost RNF of CL so I'd have it on hand for the groms during
beach days and maybe trips to Mex, and it's actually really fun to surf. They can use and
abuse it and I have a fish to surf too when they're not using it.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
These JJFs are as HP as soft tops get. The hard bottoms and especially the hand shaped rails are similar shape to “real” boards. So you can feel a connection to the board and wave. Instead of just riding on top of the water like regular soft tops. I’m sure these and Crime soft tops are built in the same factory bc the constructions are identical. The Gremlin was too thick and heavy to be very much fun. But the fish model is a blast. The’re thinner and less clunky so the added weight of the this construction is much less noticeable1D34E1A1-13B2-4856-BF05-D3B5BE0E8683.jpeg627F7FDF-BC73-4B06-9BDE-5A2F95EB83AA.jpeg

Jun 6, 2020
These JJFs are as HP as soft tops get. The hard bottoms and especially the hand shaped rails are similar shape to “real” boards. So you can feel a connection to the board and wave. Instead of just riding on top of the water like regular soft tops. I’m sure these and Crime soft tops are built in the same factory bc the constructions are identical. The Gremlin was too thick and heavy to be very much fun. But the fish model is a blast. The’re thinner and less clunky so the added weight of the this construction is much less noticeableView attachment 126867View attachment 126868
Can you nose ride that 9'0? I was wondering if the rails actually hold when you try to go to the nose.

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
Honest question - why ride a soft top other than as a tool for learners? If you can already surf a shortboard shape, why surf a soft shortboard?

I had a soft top shortboard for a while, it was shaped fairly similar to a min sim I also had. While it was great for getting kids in the water, and a fun board to have on hand for family beach days, I would never have pulled that thing out in favor of a "real" board. I found that while it was easy to catch waves on the softie, it was really hard well, especially in comparison to a similar "real" board.

what am I missing?

slickjc

Nep status
Jul 1, 2004
so. cal.
Honest question - why ride a soft top other than as a tool for learners? If you can already surf a shortboard shape, why surf a soft shortboard?

I had a soft top shortboard for a while, it was shaped fairly similar to a min sim I also had. While it was great for getting kids in the water, and a fun board to have on hand for family beach days, I would never have pulled that thing out in favor of a "real" board. I found that while it was easy to catch waves on the softie, it was really hard well, especially in comparison to a similar "real" board.

what am I missing?
to surf in places where you dont want to damage your board, like,, shallow, shore break, rocks, etc... and areas where you arent allowed to surf with a hard surfboard.

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
to surf in places where you dont want to damage your board, like,, shallow, shore break, rocks, etc... and areas where you arent allowed to surf with a hard surfboard.
well those are pretty good reasons

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
These JJFs are as HP as soft tops get. The hard bottoms and especially the hand shaped rails are similar shape to “real” boards. So you can feel a connection to the board and wave. Instead of just riding on top of the water like regular soft tops. I’m sure these and Crime soft tops are built in the same factory bc the constructions are identical. The Gremlin was too thick and heavy to be very much fun. But the fish model is a blast. The’re thinner and less clunky so the added weight of the this construction is much less noticeableView attachment 126867View attachment 126868
do you actually h ave a fuggin softop quiver?!

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Sure do…but it’s easier to pull off when not paying retail. Since they surf pretty well, they’re perfect for crowded, rail bumping SanO summer days. And I have nieces and nephews that are learning to surf so they’re set up with a full quiver. They have access to my garage and understand they are to only take out the soft tops for now, lol!

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Sure do…but it’s easier to pull off when not paying retail. Since they surf pretty well, they’re perfect for crowded, rail bumping SanO summer days. And I have nieces and nephews that are learning to surf so they’re set up with a full quiver. They have access to my garage and understand they are to only take out the soft tops for now, lol!
any chance you feel like ordering a quiver of high volume kracka sprint boards?

• Haha
Reactions: waxurDyl

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Can you nose ride that 9'0? I was wondering if the rails actually hold when you try to go to the nose.
Rails are very refined but there’s no concave to help with noseriding. More better for a fun goofy sesh…catch waves, trim and actually turn. And not worry about damaging a board and having to repair it

Reactions: Sprinkles695