Whats your favorite good wave fish?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'd concur except my fish has a tri plane bottom that still generates speed when its small.
I just change the fins depending upon the wave range on the day.
Grovel fins are the flex twins for shorter radius turns and good wave control fins are the Lovelace Piggybacks.
View attachment 141868View attachment 141869
Damn!! Those blue flex fins look amazing! :love::love:

Reactions: j_mac and Retropete

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
  • Haha
Reactions: j_mac and Havoc
May 14, 2011

These work pretty well. I surf it when everyone else is on a shortboard. Mine's 6'1 21 2 5/8 (bigger boy) dims off a magic lis rocket fish.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
You should try a McNeill Rasta Torus twin but in a 5'8". Then you'll be feeling like Rasta doing his signature drop wallet cutties. Gaz has a special going with free international shipping and insurance.
That board was fun before I couldn't stand looking at it, but the Squit has a much more unique and special feeling to it.

Anyway, I would never buy or order or touch another McNeill again. Bad juju.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I'm liking the pulled in tail, narrower, longer recipe. Paddles better for me on bigger days when the rides are long and you have a lot of ground to cover to get back to the peak. Pulled in swallow gives good control and bites nicely on turns.

album_MS.jpg

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
The other one that stands out is a Hanel twin keel I used to use all the time when I was younger. Pushed that board into everything since it was my only board I had than. Surfed regularly at some heavy bb's oddly enough with it. A bit wild, but exciting also anticipating the energy about to hit while rolling into a set. I'd agree most fish type boards excel riding good surf. Especially once you really figure them out and surf one regularly to the point your very comfortable on it.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
After your experience with Gary Mac, I wonder if RetroP was yanking your sausage with that suggestion? Maybe…but maybe not, lol :shrug:
I love it when Retropete goes for my Gaz gripe, but I have to take the opportunity at face value to reiterate my standpoint: I WILL NEVER MCNEILL AGAIN!

Of course, the 5'8 suggestion didn't slip by either as I always love a bit of extra volume for more float and glide, but just never on a Gary McNeill.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I love it when Retropete goes for my Gaz gripe, but I have to take the opportunity at face value to reiterate my standpoint: I WILL NEVER MCNEIL AGAIN!

Of course, the 5'8 suggestion didn't slip by either as I always love a bit of extra volume for more float and glide, but just never on a Gary McNeil.
but why?? i heard he specializes in international shipping...

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Reactions: Clayster and j_mac

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The Album Lightbender is pretty great in good waves. It's a twin, not a keel and it has a bit more of a pulled in tail compared to a classic fish but it still feels like it keeps many of the characteristics of a good fish. Easy into waves, lots of speed. Just a bit more controllable and easier to turn in the pocket with the narrower tail.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
The Album Lightbender is pretty great in good waves. It's a twin, not a keel and it has a bit more of a pulled in tail compared to a classic fish but it still feels like it keeps many of the characteristics of a good fish. Easy into waves, lots of speed. Just a bit more controllable and easier to turn in the pocket with the narrower tail.
I'll never Album again.