What's your favorite board between a groveler and a shortboard?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Untitled has been on my radar since I demo'd a FF version. The FF felt too "pingy" to me. I called the El Segundo HS shop and spoke to someone there, he told me if you get a PE custom, it's built in Australia and shipped over. I think their US shipping is flat rate and pretty reasonable though.

The S Twin looks funnn

Reactions: Aruka

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
astro pop vs. fling with similar volume. the latter still virgin, everybody on here raving about them made me get one eventually....

not sure if you can tell from the pictures. rocker apex of the astro pop seems to be further forward, more continuous curve in general. rails a bit more domed rather than full and boxy.

can't compare the ride yet though.

20200615_185525.jpg20200615_185357.jpg20200615_185352.jpg20200615_185525.jpg

Attachments

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
OG Rocket as well? I rode one years ago but didn't get a long enough session to really form an opinion. Waves were pumping and all I can remember is getting pitched a couple times.
Head high and steep is around or just under redline, but asked to both stay on plane out the back in mush and crack a steep chest high reform, I think it's a decent bet.

Reactions: Aruka

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
2296A8B5-1D34-4F08-8FD4-B58D8F9DEB8E.png
I have been eyeing one of these t revs to replace my regular shortboard for beachbreaks. Description Says quad fish up front pulled in tail for the pocket riding. Anybody have or try one of these?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
The twin/trailer Flare that Donger got looks like it fits the bill. I might go with a dedicated quad, like an Astro Pop.

I had an OG Lost Rocket. Went epic in punchy conditions . The problem was that thought I was ordering 2 5/16 with a flat deck, but the board ended up 2 5/16 with pro style, pinched rails. Worked really well when the waves were on, but didn't like grovelling, not just because of the rails which were definitely not helping, but also because of the high tail rocker.

Reactions: jkb

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Sounds like Rocket fits the bill well, hard stay off for the conditions you are describing. Short Round is similar and sounds like a good fit as well. I stretched my Short round a couple inches and at 6'3" and it has morphed into a design that doesn't really resemble the squished really wise template of the shorter versions. Maybe a Swordfish l as its supposed to be an elongated version of the Retro RNF, never seen one though, it may contain thet wide tail liability you are isolating to your groverlers.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I've had a tough time trying to dial in a board between my stubby groveler's/fish's which are in the 5'8-5'10 range and my shortboards which are around 6-3.

This evening was a perfect example of conditions where I wanted some fishy glide and paddle for chasing the shifty peaks but the fat tail of the Fling was a liability when the chest high lefts really stood up on the inside bar.

I could have done fine on a stubbier shortboard like a GrinderX but I dunno, lately I don't really want to ride a thruster shortboard type board unless the waves are kinda legit.

I have an Album Insanity on order which might fit the bill but I guess I'm just curious what the rest of you guys have been liking.
Take your shortboard, add thickness and width to carry another 40-60 lbs, throw in a twin plus trailer setup, and laugh all the way to the end of every fugging wave you want.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I'll second the HS Untitled.

Perfect board between groveler and hpsb.

Good paddler with low entry but has a little flip in the nose so that you don't poke when steep drops pop up. More parallel outline for drive. Tail pulled in a bit for hp turns. Available in PU or EPS. Customs available as well.
3rd the HS Untitled. prob more hp than grovel, but extremely versatile. Front end is all glide and drive while tail gives you tight arcs and quick responsiveness.

Reactions: jkb and Aruka

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I love my stamps shadow in everything. Looking at a gravel version. Lower rocker, wider, hair thicker. Or my fuse box might be the one. Retodds was epic. Can’t wait to try mine.
have you ridden your new Fling yet?