Whats your DD

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
Last five sessions have been on four different boards ranging from
6’9” to 5’6”. No complaints, the surf has been really fun and I like riding
different boards depending on conditions and spots, however I would like to
spend more time dialing in my newer stretch 2win.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
The yellow one is a 6'4 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/4, 37'5L.

(and 8'6, 63L)

Oh man. Tell me all about it. How do you like high volume in shortboard package?

I’ve seen a few pop up on Gummy, but all on the east coast.

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
I’ve been thinking hard about an ultra high volume 6’3”ish DS as a DD
Hey Clamsmasher, what sort of DD waves are we talking here?
I have a 6’3 x 19 1/2 x 2 7/8 39L DS. It would make a good DD if we’re talking HH with a bit of push. Maz can chime in as he might feel differently but I find it kind of slow and stiff in anything much smaller than that especially if it’s soft. The vee bottom (& rocker) feels like it kind of drags. The board absolutely transforms once there’s a little push. Jeez they go great in chop too.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Toobz hit the nail on the head. Here's my take:

Got the board for OH powerful waves with lots of chop, and it's perfect for that. It slices into devil wind takeoffs with ease, and when there's a bit of power, it truly comes to life. Great barrel board. Great chop board. And I'd take it to Indo/Hawaii in a heartbeat. Good quad fins make it come alive compared to a thruster setup.

Since moved to long, smooth left points, and boards with some concave go better here. That said, my 6'10 DS is the perfect board here when it's solid.

If you're thinking DD for Margarets area, I'd say that'd be a perfect match.

It feels like riding a board with plush long-travel suspension. No chatter, and no getting bucked around, just smooth.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Toobz and Maz, thanks for that. Maybe I’ll go a 6’6” for next Indo trip rather than a dd..we really don’t get the waves for them in Perth I think...

Reactions: Toobz and Maz