Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Osprey321 said:
Oeste858 said:
Duffy said:
That board is probably magic.
LOL
Should have a bigger markdown. I think you should name the board label and shop. That's pretty poor all around.
Board is a Quiet Flight and this board is on the rack at their New Smyrna shop... I was already irritated with them for forgetting about my custom order but after seeing this I am not sure I will buy another of their boards...
ya u floridas r lucky to have greg griffin n ur backyard now. i'd go that route. chandler makes a good boar!

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas

20W-50 and blood said:
oversanded and/or somewhere the cloth didnt saturate.

eps + the color blue seem to always show that more than any other combo.
I have a board with a similar colour tint that has the same problem. I have a couple of other boards from the same shaper(well known Southern CA shaper) that are fine. He says that this particular colour often has issues?
I have to repair this board often. It shatters very easily and the glass job seems very light. You can see the grain of the glass through the top coat just like this...................and it was a custom. Is it just a poor glassing job?
I will not call him out here but I have to say I was very disappointed.
What to do, sand and hot coat the whole board?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
'She started to explain to me that the board was most likely intentionally done like that to give it a "rustic" type look. '

What kind of popsicle stand is this shop, and why are they hiring clowns?!

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Most shop rats in most surf shops I've seen will say things like that. Their job is to sell what they have in inventory. There may be a few minimum wage shop rats who have worked on the shaping or glassing side, but that's not most of them.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
20W-50 and blood said:
oversanded and/or somewhere the cloth didnt saturate.

eps + the color blue seem to always show that more than any other combo.
That’s dry cloth. Is it epoxy?

Thought #2. It’s poly that started to kick in the bucket, and they hadn’t got enough on the laps. So they sqidgeed the rapidly curing goo around the laps in a futile attempt to finish off in time.

Shot #1looks like areas of pretty much zero adhesion. I know because I have made boards that look like this. But I didn’t put them on the rack .....

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Pffffft!
Anybody remember that's how normal sand only boards used to look pre-2000's. Standard sanded finish. Fiberglass all in your arms when you carried it. Colored boards always show the burns more and also have a tendency to crystallize if the paint is too thick. Super fast cure lots of catalyst spider cracks when you touched board w/fingernail. Reminds me of those days when HPSB were trying to be light and HP but forgot to be glassed and sanded tight.It was either sanded finish or sanded gloss. That's about the time when guys were rubbing corn oil, pledge, acrylic etc, on them just to cover up the burns.

Not a good look on the rack but Duffys right it probably is magic. Offer them a much larger discount just for giggles!

:wave2:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
HAHA good one GG! you're right again.
I remember seeing many very nicely glassed and sanded boards on my trips to the islands, to this day still.
From what I can remember, it took a while to see the same results on the mainland boards though.

How are the finished boards coming out in Florida? Seems the OP board in question is pretty bad.

And yes, the tolerance for burn thrus galore on a sanded finish board these days is very very low.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
The history and # of Glassing nightmares outweigh shaping nightmares by far .

I could write you an amazing book on this - you would be totally shocked :)

Much better to talk about those who wanted to do extra in making the next level boards like Charlie Walker at Sunset beach in the early 80's

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
True, True, as i've had my share of glassing nightmares.

The more I look at the picture of the OP board, the more I start thinking about if the board was
glassed with Direct sized cloth. The D size is really white and can be hard to saturate evenly and tends to show up much more over colored boards, but isn't milky white like the S cloth is, and can also appear sanded thru to a point.

I've heard that JPS and Hexcell don't even make the D sized cloth anymore, shame, it was the best strength to cost fabric out there,and also halped make the boards whiter, IMO.

GG Lets talk about Charlie Walker then, tell us about him.....

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Charlie and Ken Bradshaw shared a house across the street from Sunset in the late 70's to early 80's

Charlie had his glass shop there . Mike Ho was riding for Ken and would have Charlie do an overnite glass job , pick it up in the morning , ride it and break it that day and start the cycle all over :)

Cure time , nah no need :)