Whats the scoop with these mid-lengths twinnies with channels I keep seeing?

MrSteve

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
What I like about the Ghost Shapes Ghobra is that it has a more progressive rocker all the way through. Not a lot, but just enough. Once in awhile the nose gets in the way if I'm pushing it a little too hard but not often. Just surfed it at Colorados in Nicaragua which is a punchy beach break with a lot of curve where a too flat board would become very apparent and it went great.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah that was great. Waves looked pretty much as fun as it gets. Board looked like it was handling the steep drops well.

I still think that a moderate rocker, smallish mid twin is one of the most versatile board designs I've ever ridden. Like, if I had to go on a trip with only one board, that'd be a tempting call.

I did notice that he didn't go backside a single time though.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Been doing this for last few years. I brought my Pyzel Ghost to Bali but didn't end up using and now I just bring the 6'4 Ghobra and it's worked out well for Bali, Mexico, Spain, Nicaragua etc.

At home it's more of a step up but it's a 1 board travel quiver for the places I generally go. Might reconsider for something like a a Mentawai's trip but maybe not. Walking across the Costa Rica/Nicaragua border last week in the 95 degree heat, I was loving a light boardbag.

Like, if I had to go on a trip with only one board, that'd be a tempting call.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
That's the type of surfing I like to see
Nice clip and Colorado's is a great wave but honestly there are a lot of other spots in Nica that are so much more fun on a good mid-length. They go well in the barreling beach breaks but depending on the tide and the conditions the length and the width up front can get in the way if the wave is really sucking up and detonating on the sand bar where you can't get into it early enough but getting them out on a walled up wave or a wave with more face where you can feel the speed on a high line or do a bit wrap around carve IMHO is so much fun!

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Agree. It's not the best board for a Colorado's type of wave but it works and down the beach at Ponga Drops which was softer but bigger it was really good. My fellow 50 something year old friends on their 5'10's were begging to borrow it.

Usually when I travel I seek out longer points or reefs but this time that's where we ended up and it worked well enough. Next time I'll be looking for a sand bottom right point.

Nice clip and Colorado's is a great wave but honestly there are a lot of other spots in Nica that are so much more fun on a good mid-length. They go well in the barreling beach breaks but depending on the tide and the conditions the length and the width up front can get in the way if the wave is really sucking up and detonating on the sand bar where you can't get into it early enough but getting them out on a walled up wave or a wave with more face where you can feel the speed on a high line or do a bit wrap around carve IMHO is so much fun!

Reactions: terdroamer

terdroamer

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 17, 2024
from far yet near
I was thinking my favorite left reef when its kinda soft outside on peak and picks up on the inside to race track when I ordered my 6'9" stinger It2win.twin pintail:waving:

Reactions: santacruzin

Sauce

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 6, 2021
Down in CR right now and didn't get the banging swell I was hoping for but my 6'5 ledge twin has been sooo fun even in less than critical surf.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Duff have you tried your TA twin fiberglass set :shrug: I use a set similiar in mine but its the Fins Unlimited 2win set works great never felt need for other set:waving:
I’m looking ahead to the future. I don’t yet own a Ledge. My brain is telling me I need one. I’m thinking of trying the NVS TKnox fin.

My TAs live in the AO.

Reactions: terdroamer

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
What were the best “normal” fins?
I started with the :
Aikila(sp) MOTE recommended w/ 80/20 foils. Very pretty fins but fcking felt like dragging kelp.
NVS Album twins, opened it up and felt 'normal'.
NVS Tknox fins, got spicy with more speed and able to make fine adjustments on the face and easier turning.
C-Drives gives it just a lot more of the above what T-Knox did. Speed demon that holds a turn.

The Albums were fine but a little dull on that board for me.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I started with the :
Aikila(sp) MOTE recommended w/ 80/20 foils. Very pretty fins but fcking felt like dragging kelp.
NVS Album twins, opened it up and felt 'normal'.
NVS Tknox fins, got spicy with more speed and able to make fine adjustments on the face and easier turning.
C-Drives gives it just a lot of the above what T-Knox did. Speed demon that holds a turn.

The Albums were fine but a little dull on that board for me.
Awesome. Thanks.

Reactions: Woke AF